JENS LEKMAN, WHELAN'S, AUGUST 1ST (1 Viewer)

Urchin PR

Website
www.myspace.com
JENS LEKMAN

Whelan’s, August 1st

Tickets €17.50 (incl booking fee) from WAV [lo-call 1890 200 078], www.tickets, City Discs, Road Records & Ticketmaster outlets nationwide

“Pop is rarely as genuinely affecting, joyful or good as this.” – The Guardian

“As an album, Kortedala represents the most cohesive statement yet from an immensely talented artist whose early EPs once made him seem like a rebel against the LP form altogether. Like the Renaldo & the Loaf-sampling "Into Eternity", it's a record about moments (and kisses) we take with us - moments that we (or Lekman) may never have experienced: Our own Kortedala.” 9.0, Pitchfork

After each and every record, Jens Lekman found himself a day job and swore to never return to music again. But oh how the river longs for the sea. The last two years has seen Jens collaborating with Tracey Thorn and Drew Barrymore as well as touring and finishing up new songs. And now Jens is ready to share those songs with the world. Late this summer, Jens Lekman and company will be playing new material from his follow up to 2007’s Night Falls Over Kortedala, over a week and a half long tour. He’ll be joined by a full band that he’s picked up all over the world.

Sweden’s Jens Lekman emerged from relative obscurity to quickly establish himself as the darling of the global indie-pop set, winning widespread acclaim from fans and critics for his uncommonly witty and well-crafted pop songs.

Assuming the alias Rocky Dennis (borrowed from the disfigured protagonist of the 1985 American film Mask), Lekman recorded and released a series of limited edition cd-rs beginning with 2001's The Budgie-Album. A year later, he compiled a collection of highlights and mailed the sole copy to Secretly Canadian, but remained largely unknown until the 2003 EP Maple Leaves became something of a cause célèbre, staying twenty-two weeks in the Swedish charts. The Swedish indie Service Records reissued Maple Leaves later that same year, and after abandoning his pseudonym once and for all with 2004's Rocky Dennis in Heaven EP, Lekman issued his acclaimed full-length debut When I Said I Wanted to be Your Dog. The LP generated the Swedish Top Ten hit “You Are the Light,” and in 2005 Lekman travelled the globe, issuing several tour-only EPs and collecting his previous singles, B-sides, and compilation tracks as Oh You're So Silent Jens. Following this flurry of activity, he announced on his website plans for an extended hiatus from performing, scrapping a planned sophomore LP and reportedly accepting a position at a local bingo parlor – he quit after just two days on the job and fully rededicated himself to his musical pursuits. His latest album Night Falls Over Kortedala topped the charts in Sweden.

www.jenslekman.com

Q. What's his music like?*

*A: it's a bit ummm, you know? and it's got a little ehhhh, but not in a hmmmm kind of way.

I love this one:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seriously big props to anyone who plays (with Owen Pallett accompaniment) in the road between Ryan's and Whelan's because people want to hear more and they want to play more despite the disco curfew.

oh I remember this guy! I don't know from what though.

It all sounds very good. He has 'that voice', the one that's like a distilled version of thumped.

Seriously big props to anyone who plays (with Owen Pallett accompaniment) in the road between Ryan's and Whelan's because people want to hear more and they want to play more despite the disco curfew.

yes. I didn't think he was serious when he said he'd be playing outside after the gig, and thus went home. So I missed it. But still, that show was amazing even without the subsequent street performance.

new Jens song for download!

Download Jens Lekman’s new song The End of the World is Bigger than Love here:

http://secretlycanadian.com/blog/2010/07/jens-lekman-shares-new-song/

Below is a message from Jens that shares the story behind this new song:

“It was the day before the American election 2008 and I was filled with a hopelessness that only a McCain supporter could have shared with me at the time. I was in Washington DC to perform for Swedish TV, sitting in the couch with a professional smile on my face, joking with the hosts and discussing the lobster with the TV chef. I saw the clips online sometime ago, it’s amazing what an actor I can be if I really make an effort.

I lived in America back then, up in New York. At the time I felt like everything I touched was turning to shit and I had decided to put everything on one card. Subconsciously I knew I needed to hit the bottom so I could work my way up again. I needed confirmation, I needed someone to tell me it wasn’t going to work out, not this way. Yes, there was a girl involved in this. I was very much in love with her.

Some things you just go through. You don’t write about it, you don’t turn it into art because it can’t be turned into art. I didn’t write any songs that year because you can’t pour manure into an espresso machine and expect a cappucino to come out. When they announced the results and the streets filled up with people celebrating I felt happy to be part of something bigger than myself. It was a feeling that lasted me until the very last days of December 2008 when I finally sat down in my old teenage room at my parents house and I wrote this song. Then the year ended.

It’s a song of hope. When love turns it’s back on you it’s nice to know there’s a world out there that doesn’t give a shit about your problems. That forces you to keep your head held high and move on. A world that is fragile and beautiful. Maybe it can sound cold to some of you, but let me make it clear that I believe in love, I just get so wrapped up in it sometimes that I need to put it into proportion. It’s something you have to do a lot when you’re Jens Lekman.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back