Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (1993) (1 Viewer)

brilliant
Not so brilliant tonight...

It was going great then on the way home a bramble poked me in the eye from over a wall and with the fright I banged the headphones cable and broke it off in the phone :(

It was already half gone anyway so its not the end of the world.

In any event..its a good album.

Starts super strong,then gets a bit sketchy.I was hearing Manic Street Preachers,Crowded House and all kinds of other shit I wouldn't let within an asses roar of my cans normally.

By the time the wire broke I was getting browned off with it.
If this was food it would be cereal.Ostensibly nourishing but its laced with high fructose corn syrup and yer as fat as fuck by the end of the box.

The bramble eye poke wire broke incident has given the whole thing bad juju as far as I'm concerned

Might give it another spin though

It's a quality album. The Glutton of Sympathy is a terrific song I go back to time and again. Can see why people would find them annoying and they're obviously derivative, but the craftsmanship of the album is something else.

Had a listen today. I can appreciate the craft and the production and the songwriting and the musicianship but mostly it just reminds me of lots of things I don't like very much. Like Pugwash. Will give it a few more spins though. It'll might grow on me.

One thing I like about your choice here @pete is the fact there's no context - it's not "an important album" in the same way that lots of the others have been, so everyone has to just judge it on its own merits

For me the influences are a little too obvious, and I don't think there's anything *really* distinctive about their approach beyond the breadth of the influences and the musicianship. A really good band with good songwriters, but not a huge amount of their own to say. I like that one about Sabrina the most I think, that and the circus one.

This is the reason TAC exists (for me anyway)

I was looking to find music I hadn't heard before and could enjoy.

As has been stated before a lot of other bands can be heard through out the album. Beach Boys and Queen being the main to but ELO, Hall and Oats, MSP which have been mentioned also.
I hear some Shins and They Might be Giants in there too.

I have been looking for a good feel good album for a while now with no joy, but this fits the bill.

It sometimes pushes itself to the boarder of becoming naff but jumps back to somewhere great. At one point I thought is was sounding a bit like Mika.

It's been on constant play all weekend and I have just ordered a vinyl copy.

This album is the polar opposite to the Joanna Newsom album from last week

Going to give this a 4.5 out of 5

Style over substance. The mesh of influences ends up with the band not sounding like they have a definitive version of themselves. Still, it's well produced and you can't say nowt against the exuberance of the playing. They're clearly enjoying themselves. A lot more than I was. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5. Enjoyed listening to it, but probably won't do so again.

Preferred it to Jo Newsome, but.

I downloaded this (legally (y)) last Friday, put it on a cd and played it a few times. I thought I'd like it better to be honest. It's highly accomplished, but the tunes just didn't move me as much as those of some of their contemporaries/ influences. Maybe there's too much going on for me - it feels a bit bombastic at times. Too much major not enough minor.

But i'll give it a few more goes.

On listen no.4 here. I dunno, I'm somewhere firmly between loving this and hating it. Its an unsettling listen. You start thinking to yourself that you're settling into it, that this is nice, then something happens that throws you right off.

My initial reaction (on first listen) was to be minded of bands like Fountains of Wayne and Sloan, neither of which do I know well enough to be able to draw musical comparisons to. Its moreso that it brings to mind that American indie/power-pop genre, bands which account for a lot of posts in the 'Bands I don't Get' thread.

Theres an awful lot going on here. Almost every song reminds me of some other band. The pick of the songs are the ones that sound like Pinback (New Mistake, Hes My Best Friend). Other bands I was reminded of were Pearl Jam (All Is Forgiven), and even Cast at times. The Glutton Of Sympathy reminds me a bit of 'My Favorite Waste of Time', by Owen Paul (choon).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Russian Hill is a nice little song, but it seems a bit out of place. Bye, Bye, Bye surely must have been a big 'hit' for them?

The backing vocals ('harmonies') in the first few songs are horrendous, but at least they get them out of the way early. The vocals on rest of the albums range from grand to rather good.

But the overriding feeling I'm getting is an unsettling one. I heard strings (possibly a whole orchestra?) on one. Brass on another. Jaysus, but its a bit all over the shop. Its actually the first album on TAC that I haven't been able to listen to more than once in a row. Not because I dislike it. Moreso because I felt I needed a break.

As an album I'm not sure it holds together well, as a single piece, like. I like to feel theres somewhat of a flow, or a progression from song to song. This seems like it might be a greatest hits album, plucking songs from different phases of their career. Again, not that any songs are necessarily bad. Its just such a mixed bag.

And others have referred to the ambition and the complexity in parts. I really like that about it. Its essentially a power-pop album, but the effort they go do in places, is great.

After 4 listens I'll leave it be for a while. I'll be curious to come back to it after letting the dust settle a bit. I mgiht enjoy it better then.

Glad to have listened to it. I'll give it 3/5.

And just to link the last album on TAC to this, heres Joanna Newsom performing with Jon Brion (who played on this album);

Joanna Newsom Sings "He Needs Me" at Punch-Drunk Love Screening | News | Pitchfork

Agree with the style over substance thing.
But sometimes I love style, (stylized production)
I don't think music has to be presented in only one way.
I like different approaches.

it's got that 90s operatic rock vocal, reminiscent of mike patton and eddie vedder in places

himself sang a bit of 'epic' and then some red hot chili peppers after overhearing a few seconds of it this morning

It's really interesting to hear people try to take this in in such a short amount of time. I love this album but there's no way i could listen to it twice in a row. I'd say it took me months to fall for this album back in the day and I stuck with it because I was already into this band. It's now in that batch of albums, 10 or so, that I love so much that I hardly ever listen to. Maybe once every 2 years or something.
With the criteria set down for TAC these are the type of albums we were going to get. I'm glad to see them get bookmarked here for the future.

i'm going to keep listening until i get it (or don't) but right now they sound to me like a band that would be playing in the party scene at the end of a high school movie from about 10 years ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back