Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (1993) (1 Viewer)

it's got that 90s operatic rock vocal, reminiscent of mike patton and eddie vedder in places
'all is forgiven' is the foremost example of this, both patton and vedder in one song

or maybe the only example? maybe they were doing a bit of a pastiche of bombastic rock vocals here?

'brighter day' is the one that gives me the strongest mr. bungle impression...somewhere between disco volante and california

maybe mike patton ripped these guys off

Never heard this but glad I gave it a listen. Reminds me of XTC, especially something like Season Cycle from this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Knew that Baby's Coming Back tune from their other album - thought that was a big hit at the time but apparently not. I always mix up Jellyfish and World Of Twist without knowing much about either - could be just a bright colours/hairdo thing. Any musical similarities?

The drummer stands and sings?!

Amzaing!

That video has totally changed how I feel about these lads.Some talent

Whaddaya know, the xtc/Todd rundgren feud has kicked off again this week but one random (possible) fact I spotted from a randomer:

"My favourite positive Skylarking story was hearing how the band Jellyfish were able to sing the whole of the album acapella while travelling to gigs on the tour bus. "

never could get past my perception of this band as some triangulation of engine alley and 4 non-blondes.

Brrrr yeah there was a lot of that horrible dayglo completely non-psychedelic psychedelia buzz in the early 90s - the darkest of times. Based on this album though, Jellyfish don't fit with all that. Having said that, I've never heard A Pocket Full Of Kryptonite so I could be wrong

As lots of people have mentioned, this album sounds like lots of other things, so I don't think I'd turn to it now in 2016 to tick any of those boxes. Maybe if I'd paid £12.99 for it on release I'd have played it til the tape stretched... but after taking a look at albums released in 1992/93 that I still know off by heart today, I'm not sure I'd have found a spot for it. Nothing wrong with it though.

Finished my third listen there about an hour ago and I can't say I'm mad about it. The playing is technically impressive, ditto for their ability to jump styles so easily, but the whole thing seems empty to me like a bunch of session guys being given the keys to the studio after a day's work. The vocals are hard to take, that keening 90s male vocalist style was bad at the time and it hasn't aged well.

Some of the songs are OK, "Russian Hill" and "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late" but not something I think I'll ever feel the need to listen to again. There are also some nice little melodies and licks dotted throughout the album and part of me thinks that with a different vocalist that this might be a much better album. However, major low points are that "He's My Best Friend" song which is now stuck in my head and the awful, awful cover art.

Dont think I would have got this group if I heard them in 93 and probarbly I am lucky they didnt have a hit video

I was on holliers so I missed this one completely. Ah well.
I never paid much attention to Jellyfish when they were around but I often see mentions of Jason Falkner in the context of unsung pop genius's and I've never checked him/them out.
I might still give this a listen.

I was on holliers so I missed this one completely. Ah well.
I never paid much attention to Jellyfish when they were around but I often see mentions of Jason Falkner in the context of unsung pop genius's and I've never checked him/them out.
I might still give this a listen.
You should. Everyone should.

could someone who loves it give a bit more of a breakdown of what's so great about it? and 'production' and 'musicianship' don't count

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back