Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (1993) (1 Viewer)

sounds to me like they listened to a lot of queen and a bit of mr bungle and just ripped them off wholesale
Yeah, I'm hearing a collection of tried and trusted (hackneyed?) musical motifs cobbled together into a very slick and professional package but it will take another listen or two for me to figure out what these guys are bringing to the music themselves.

I can concur with most of whats been said,but as per TAC t&cs I'll give em another couple of spins,especially the all crucial headphone listen, before I cast any further aspersions

An engaging listen without question though

Yeah, I'm hearing a collection of tried and trusted (hackneyed?) musical motifs cobbled together into a very slick and professional package but it will take another listen or two for me to figure out what these guys are bringing to the music themselves.

Songs.

I probably did nominate this as it's on my default "fav album list".
Jellyfish made a bit of a splash with The King Is Half Undressed and I was totally put off by their schtick, the video etc. The girl I was going out with at the time bought the 12" single and it was the B-sides that made me realise there was more to these guys than image. I bought Bellybutton and liked it, it's a decent 60/40 album.
Spilt Milk delivers on the promise of Bellybutton. Big time. The songs are better, the performances are better and the recording and production is fucking unreal.
The only dip in quality is the "funny" song, He's My Best Friend. I tend to skip that.

On my third listen,I have been reading while listening,but its starting to impress me more and more.

I think we could be on to a winner here

For one thing..the production is as close to perfect as I've heard..I'm looking forward to giving it the supermarket headphones walk treatment tomorrow

Both Jellyfish albums are in my all time fav list ( no such list actually exists but y'know) . While I think Bellybutton is my preferred album of the two, it's probably because of a first love type bias . I acknowledge that Spilt Milk is probably a technically better album and I love it to bits and know it by heart.
Yes, the bands influences are all over the album, as mentioned, Beach Boys and Queen but equally Beatles, ELO etc. That said, I've appreciated those bands but never loved them like I loved Jellyfish.
I believe Anthony , Pete and I have all proudly owned/wore a Spilt Milk Jellyfish t-shirt.
The noted Redd Kross influence probably due to Steve McDonald who played bass on a few tracks on debut album Bellybutton.
One of those bands that I wish would get back together ( or at least Andy and Roger ) but probably best that don't .
Roger has recorded / toured as a band member with many many great acts , Beck and Air amongst them as well as release a couple of great albums of his own.
Andy went to Japan and did weird cool stuff but his solo demos are out there on the web for listening to.
Jason Faulkner, Jon Brion and producer Jack Joseph Puig have made great music since also so check em out if you feel like it.
Feel like Chris Manning may work in a guitar store or something now.
Love this album. Love this band.

This is simultaneously kinda enjoyable and doing me head in. It's like Big Wreck covering Sowing The Seeds of Love. Maybe I need to be feeling more magnificent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back