JC Decaux - pedestrian killer signs (1 Viewer)

frambosenshmak

Website
Visit site
am sure a lot of you who make your way through the city centre have come across the huge blockades that are the newly installed JC Decaux advertising signs.

Image043.jpg

An excellent youtube campaign (including compulsory appearance on joe duffy also documentated) highlighting the ill thought out deathraps that dublin city council steamrolled onto the pavements.

check it out here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2xiMQtqFA&feature=related"]YouTube - Pedestrian Danger in Dublin[/ame]

the joe duffy escapade: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJXQKkTobk&feature=related"]YouTube - RTE radio 1 Liveline Debate Part 1[/ame]

and make sure to email the relevant parties mentioned in the video to lodge your objection and get these eyesores moved out of harms way.

oh and the bikes we supposedly getting (500 down to now 450 and lowering) wont be around til 2009 even though the ad spaces have shot up on time.

its heartening to see people take intelligent proactive action in such incidences of flagrant abuse by local council but its also disheartening and ire inducing to realise we have ignorant fools voting for our citys public services :mad:

its heartening to see people take intelligent proactive action in such incidences of flagrant abuse by local council but its also disheartening and ire inducing to realise we have ignorant fools voting for our citys public services :mad:

unfortunately we dont even vote for them. The decision to approve these was made by the planning department (basically civil servants).

that's insanely bad. shocking.

these are just some of the free bike set-ups in europe

Paris

1301974154_f21531be6e_b.jpg

2344282598_5a1d1d70e8_b.jpg

Barcelona

2114974362_456a3ef4b9_o.jpg

898892322_42c35043cb_o.jpg

Berlin

519077191_d4ef5afb75_o.jpg

232081018_ae54b7f37c_o.jpg

that's insanely bad. shocking.

these are just some of the free bike set-ups in europe

Paris

Berlin

back on topic simon we're talking dublins dire situation here.:) :p

i've been on the paris bikes velib - amazing system, that has some small flaws but are easily corrected. watch the vids and you'll get the lowdown on the disparity between dublins botch and paris' pride.

the one in berlin is shit. rent a bike by calling them and its one to a street corner or hear and there. the paris, lyon and toulouse systems are the envy of europe - localised bike racks in a 200m radius with credit card or ID systems (for locals) and low rentals offset by the proportion of ad profit they take from Decaux and that is invested in protected cycle lanes and repairing and increasing bike numbers.

we need a gay party time publicly minded mayor like paris crossed with the bulldog intimidator that is red ken livingstone of london and maybe we'll get some results for the public good. might help to give our mayor some powers, other than the ability to appear in photos, first

back on topic simon we're talking dublins dire situation here.:) :p

i know the shituation well.

I met with the dublin council director of taffic about 8 years with a design proposal for a public bike scheme for dublin.

a million miles from these yokes....

A concerted graffiti campaign, allied with kicking the shit out of and burning, rendered the advertising hoardings around Broombridge history.

if that figure about €9m per year in ad revenue is true, DCC could have erected the hoardings themselves, and going on, say, a €4m profit p.a. on them, given away 22,500 bikes every year, at €200 per bike.

All - I need your help to campaign against these dangerous signs..

Here's RTE report and my commentary on Dublin City Council's failure to consult anyone, never mind the visually impaired.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The city manager has repeated refused to conduct a Health and Safety review as demanded by the Council elected representitives. This emergency motion came about as a result of emails and texts about the Dorset St sign. There are more signs that are in dangerous places around the city...and more planned...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Please help.

if that figure about €9m per year in ad revenue is true, DCC could have erected the hoardings themselves, and going on, say, a €4m profit p.a. on them, given away 22,500 bikes every year, at €200 per bike.

That's what I was wondering. What a stupid plan this all is. And how soon will those bikes end up in the river, then charged to the credit card of the poor saps who rented them?

Anyway, as indicated by the other thread, I'm just going to go ahead and assume only Irish-born people are allowed to take part in this discussion. I'm not allowed to criticise the city I live in.

mail me with your posts and i'll put them up here.

Cool, can you translate them into Irish for me, too? Just to cover our tracks, like.

It's too bad that the point about wheelchair users not being able to navigate them is lost, since these signs just add to the already long list of obstacles that restrict wheelchair users' independence.

Prams, though, too. You'd be hard pressed to get a pram around those things easily. In fact, anyone with any kind of mobility issue, whether or not due to disability, is gonna have some trouble with those. Never mind the symbolic trouble they create, and the message they send about the city's priorities.

Oops, gonna get myself in trouble again here...

Anyway, maybe the bikes are magic flying bikes? That would be worth €9 million. I'll bet they're magic bikes.

In fact, anyone with any kind of mobility issue, whether or not due to disability, is gonna have some trouble with those.
the national council for the blind are none too impressed - especially since the base is not the full width of the sign; a cane will not make contact with the base as soon as it would if the base was full width, so the blind have less warning.

the national council for the blind are none too impressed - especially since the base is not the full width of the sign; a cane will not make contact with the base as soon as it would if the base was full width, so the blind have less warning.

There must be a million hazards that a lot of us don't notice. It's really shocking when they're pointed out.

I was talking to a guy who does a lot of web accessibility stuff, and he was saying that a lot of clients only want to 'include' accessibility if it doesn't cost extra. He just builds it in automatically rather than as an 'extra', but it's not a very positive attitude. He also says he presents it as a 'you can broaden your customer base' sort of thing. Which is a bummer, having to frame accessibility in financial terms, but it does seem to work in his situation.

But these ads -- is there no disability officer who is consulted on planning stuff? I mean, isn't it...kind of common sense?

They're up around where I work. The footpaths are fairly wide, and the signs are still a total pain in the arsehole.

I reckon I've got a good shot at working out a deal with them myself.

TO: Dublin City Council
SUBJECT: LETIGITMATE BUSINES OPPERTONITU!

Dear City Council,

Thanks for the sign. I checked me eyes -- they are real! I would like to interest in you an offer for some old deck chairs and a broken microwave. I know that sounds like lots a but I will come and check on them do not you worry. People can sit in the deck chairs with a credit card deposit for further breakage or stealage robbing -- 1€ for ten minutes, 56€ every monite after. You can throw all the park benches back in river now! We manage money from chairs, too, in exchnge for checking on them. All you needs do now is make cheque 5 millions euro (cashier's please, so I know is good) and deposit in my tax haven bank account. Also you can pay me in boobs.

I'm very glad to know we are already doing business together as by reading this email you are entering into a legal contract that is legally binding and you agree to the above stated business plan.

Looking forward to our legitimate business opportunity.

Sincere,

Legitimate business person

How come building cunts can pull out of contracts and leave people homeless and it would be a bad thing if the council told Decaux to go and fuck themselves with their wads of soul destroyed cash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back