Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

an experienced competitive cyclist was killed yesterday on a road i'd have cycled on many, many times (the grallagh, north of oldtown/garristown). always a bit worrying, reminds you that no matter how good a cyclist you are, the odds can be stacked against you.
she was national champion in one discipline in track cycling.

an experienced competitive cyclist was killed yesterday on a road i'd have cycled on many, many times (the grallagh, north of oldtown/garristown). always a bit worrying, reminds you that no matter how good a cyclist you are, the odds can be stacked against you.
Motherfuckers are on their phones and speeding

from cycling those roads, it's the 'i cannot afford to wait five seconds so i will overtake around a blind bend' which is the most likely reason if i ever get cleaned off the bike by a motorist.
on several occasions - including on the stretch past the grallagh cemetery, about a year ago, i have been overtaken around a blind bend by an impatient motorist, causing the oncoming motorist to come to a complete emergency stop, or nearly end up in the ditch.

has the name been released? I saw this news story yesterday. Absolutely tragic news.

Every time I hear of a tragedy like this I'm immediately reminded of the likes of Morgan Sparrow, Tonya McEvoy, and others, who sadly suffered the same fate.

it also reminds me that just before I jacked in cycling, it had become very apparent how much more dangerous the roads had become. People were angry as hell because of their commuting choices and decided to take it out on road users who could travel more freely and more quickly. I was on a near-miss a week at that stage and the nerves were shot.

a few weeks ago i was on the road that goes past the boot inn at the airport - for those who don't know it, it kinda goes nowhere unless you've actually go official access into the back of the airport, so it's dead quiet.

anyway, a lad in a mondeo coming towards me (and there was no one else on the road) decided to swerve out of his lane and give me a couple of seconds of a blare of his horn, halfway into my lane. i obviously have no idea what his major malfunction was.

The amount of stress that's not in my body when I'm on a bike path as opposed to a road, is unbelievable

Like I have a different chemical composition when I'm out with traffic

Yeah. It's bad.

The usual story seems applicable, if you want to kill someone: drive a car into them. If you want to kill someone, and claim for the damage done to your car, drive a car into them when they're riding a bike.

It is heartbreaking. I'd lay money the driver was looking at their phone.

I put off reading the report all day. Now I have read it. Thanks for sharing it, but it's awful.

Met a friend group for a bike ride at teh weekend

Everyone gave me shit about not wearing a helmet
I don't even notice, but it's a big deal to some people

like a lot of protective gear i wear while cycling, i wear it so if i come a cropper, it won't be used as a stick to beat me with.
i 100% guarantee you, there's no better thing for a motorist if they hit you, for you not to have been wearing a helmet. it can be - and has been - used to get punishments reduced.
i.e. the motorist caused the collision, 100%, but it's now partly your fault because you weren't wearing a non-mandatory piece of equipment (which is designed to protect against falls, not collisions)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back