Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

Would you recommend this over other routes?
Do you have a favourite?

I'm considering doing the ROyal Canal Greenway in March, but this sounds more interesting, with more to look at
My loop was very pretty I thought:

Out to Stepaside, Kilternan, The Scalp, Enniskerry, Glencree, past the Kippure TV mast thing, Sally Gap, Military Road, Glenmacnass, drop down into Laragh, and back home through Roundwood. Once you're in Laragh you can get a handle on how you feel, it's pretty handy if you take the flat roads home.

Out to Stepaside, Kilternan, The Scalp, Enniskerry, Glencree, past the Kippure TV mast thing, Sally Gap, Military Road, Glenmacnass, drop down into Laragh, and back home through Roundwood. Once you're in Laragh you can get a handle on how you feel, it's pretty handy if you take the flat roads home.
Ah here
That's some day out

Is that like 80 miles of hills?

Be fine, sure when you get to Laragh it's almost downhill all the way home.
You can turn off at Sallygap and take the other road back, if you're feeling completely bollixed.

You are a beast of a biker
I am but a human mortal man

But tempted to be a beast

All of this is making the Maynooth path sound pretty boring tbh

You are a beast of a biker
I am but a human mortal man

But tempted to be a beast

All of this is making the Maynooth path sound pretty boring tbh
that used to be the daily loop before work.
I'd not be up to it now, it would be nice to see if I could do it again now I'm back in the country though.

Just thinking about it... hm.
It really was cruising once you're in Annamoe type territory though. You could sit up and relax all the way home.

And you never once called in for tea?

And you never once called in for tea?
to be fair I had the head down and sprinted by that part.

Heh. Where are you living? I used to be scoping out ruins to buy. I'd a lovely ruin out past Kilternan at one point.
Then I went and spoiled it all with that whole going to college craic. Downhill from there!

to be fair I had the head down and sprinted by that part.

Heh. Where are you living? I used to be scoping out ruins to buy. I'd a lovely ruin out past Kilternan at one point.
Then I went and spoiled it all with that whole going to college craic. Downhill from there!
I’m out between Stepaside and Sandyford. You’d have barely have warmed up by the time you got to me.

I’m out between Stepaside and Sandyford. You’d have barely have warmed up by the time you got to me.

That's right. I'd have lived by you at one point then. I'm looking at the area on Google Maps around Ballyogan, I'm not even recognizing it. That's mad.

Killgobbin road is still the same though thankfully. OK.

I see they put up a sign saying Private Lane. They'd be giving me shit for walking up there. Dicks.

That's right. I'd have lived by you at one point then. I'm looking at the area on Google Maps around Ballyogan, I'm not even recognizing it. That's mad.

Killgobbin road is still the same though thankfully. OK.

I see they put up a sign saying Private Lane. They'd be giving me shit for walking up there. Dicks.

Head back down Kilgobbin Road towards Dublin and we’re on the left.

hard to pass kippure without deciding to go all the way up, i find. even though it's a bastard and the descent can be a bit sketchy.

hard to pass kippure without deciding to go all the way up, i find. even though it's a bastard and the descent can be a bit sketchy.
yeah, it was pretty much the rule you had to.

The only hard part was doing disciplined pacing until you were past Glencree. Then you were allowed go for it.
There were all kinds of rules for the roads around there. It was strictly forbidden to touch the brakes coming through this bridge for example.

You'd be absolutely screaming in. Like, there could be no oncoming traffic, you needed to nail the bend perfectly, brush the wall on the far side of the road. Looks like nothing on the map there, but way it tightened up every time it was a moment.

i know that bridge, i think i've only been through it twice on the bike. it's that loss of weight as you go over with which is unnerving when you're worried about grip, IIRC.

I was thinking of throwing the bike on the train to Longford, then heading back on the Greenway to Maynooth and another train

I'd like to be on a path with no traffic and really give it a go

i know that bridge, i think i've only been through it twice on the bike. it's that loss of weight as you go over with which is unnerving when you're worried about grip, IIRC.
yup. There may or may not be gravel too. We'd be up there all the time, so we'd know on the whole. But, fuck me. Those rules... the likes of Joe McCaul and Robin Seymore would breeze through. Bike handling bastards.

yup. There may or may not be gravel too. We'd be up there all the time, so we'd know on the whole. But, fuck me. Those rules... the likes of Joe McCaul and Robin Seymore would breeze through. Bike handling bastards.
Seymour lives on old long hill. I used to pass him all the time any time I'd be cycling towards Enniskerry and he be coming the other way on his way to work in Expert.

I often wondered if I'd be any use of a cyclist if I lived on a big hill like he does. Probably not.

Seymour lives on old long hill. I used to pass him all the time any time I'd be cycling towards Enniskerry and he be coming the other way on his way to work in Expert.

I often wondered if I'd be any use of a cyclist if I lived on a big hill like he does. Probably not.
Right. Nairo Quintana effect sort of thing.

The thing was it was more than just the fitness, the pair of them were stupidly good bike handlers. And Joe was technically even better than Robin it seemed, just not as fit. Joe showed me some class of titanium joint that he got as a result of a crash, so I'm not sure if he was able to do the same training as Robin? Robin was built like a cyclist too.

I've never seen anything close to the level of bike handling that the pair of them had. Taking the piss sort of stuff.

Right. Nairo Quintana effect sort of thing.

The thing was it was more than just the fitness, the pair of them were stupidly good bike handlers. And Joe was technically even better than Robin it seemed, just not as fit. Joe showed me some class of titanium joint that he got as a result of a crash, so I'm not sure if he was able to do the same training as Robin? Robin was built like a cyclist too.

I've never seen anything close to the level of bike handling that the pair of them had. Taking the piss sort of stuff.
wasn't he CX national champ for like 15 years in a row?

wasn't he CX national champ for like 15 years in a row?
Dunno exactly. There was one or two. I remember Joe explaining why he probably should have won one anyway. Old bastards ruining it for everyone.

Has Dave Peelo stopped riding the Ras yet? Showing up on his mobility scooter in his slippers, hobbling over to the bike, and dropping everyone 100kms down the road.

Dunno exactly. There was one or two. I remember Joe explaining why he probably should have won one anyway. Old bastards ruining it for everyone.

Has Dave Peelo stopped riding the Ras yet? Showing up on his mobility scooter in his slippers, hobbling over to the bike, and dropping everyone 100kms down the road.
haha yeah I think he stopped. They had to lock him in a room so he couldn't make it to the start line. That was it for him then. Done

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back