Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

heading to inishowen at the weekend for a family thing. tempted to throw the bike in the car so i can sneak out and have a pop at the mamore gap when i'm there, but i dunno if that would look a bit odd, given the nature of the gathering.
It's been a long day / will be a long day tomorrow. Feeling a bit stressed, just gonna hop on the bike to clear my head.

See yiz in a bit. Take care of yourselves!

I cycled to a 30th in the midlands once and they never forgave me

It's for the scattering of my aunt's ashes, with a bunch of cousins I haven't seen in five years ago could be awkward.

I biked out to a friend's 50th (about 25 miles each way)
People make a big deal about it, just for something to talk about and they like a bit of banter

The major lesson I've learned in life is that people really don't care too much about what you do, they are far more concerned with their own goings on.
And the corollary of that is not to live a life according to what other people think or might think - it is a prison.
As long as you have decided it is right and according to your standards of a good, ethical life, then the opinions of others should not matter.

Marcus Aurelius — 'It never ceases to amaze me: we all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own.'

I realise I am probably overdoing the advice here, but life is precious, and we should do the things we want to do when we get the opportunity.

Good luck with the trip, man.

it'll be for naught if i have more than one other person in the car on the drive up (waiting to hear if i'm taking a cousin)
and if you've not heard of the mamore gap, it's considered Very Much Up There as one of the hardest climbs in ireland. it's like taking the climb from howth village to the summit, and simply stacking the climb on top of itself; you've twice the elevation gain a little bit less than the same distance.
i once read that the difficulty of cycling up a slope scales to the power of 2.5 of the gradient; so it's nearly six times as difficult as the climb out of howth.

Last edited:
I absolutely think you can do it, brother. Just gotta figure out how.

I want to do the Stelvio Pass. I have no fucking idea if this is out of the range of possibility (my ex's Dad who lives near there suggested it, and I don't know if it was a taunt or not)
Gonna try and do it this year on a trip to Italy
It will be mortification if I don't get it done. But i am not getting any younger, so it will be even tougher next year.

ETA

I think it is here

1655762379342.png

Last edited:
didn't get to tackle the mamore gap; had an extra passenger in the car, which precluded taking the bike, and yesterday was wile windy enough for a cycle without doing mamore gap in that.

on the way home today, i was thinking that the sperrins look like a great place to cycle.

the lads in shimano have been at the glue; 105 is going 12 speed, Di2 only and hydraulic only (for now, anyway) and the price has jumped by €1k for the groupset. RRP now €1900...

that's two and a half times as much as i paid for my mechanical, rim brake ultegra a few years ago.

that's a factor, but they've also blinged out their mid range groupset, but not made it available without the bling. some people don't want Di2 (electronic shifting) which adds a massive chunk to the price.

the lads in shimano have been at the glue; 105 is going 12 speed, Di2 only and hydraulic only (for now, anyway) and the price has jumped by €1k for the groupset. RRP now €1900...

that's two and a half times as much as i paid for my mechanical, rim brake ultegra a few years ago.
what the actual fuck.

Is 105 dearer than ultegra then?

i'm not sure if ultegra has suffered a similar fate.
based on that RRP, 105 is more expensive on its own than a standard 105 equipped bike would have been a couple of years ago.

on chain reaction cycles, you can get 'traditional' 105 for €716, and 'traditional' ultegra (R8000) for €1201.
i paid either €600 or €700 for 6800 soon after R8000 was introduced, i think three and a half years ago; R8000 was then about €800.

Me reading an interview with Tadej Pogacar and thinking about me on my fixie, and how we're both about the same as cyclists

Spiritually

Purists like

1656615064702.png

ipopped out on the bike earlier to go pick the car up from a service, so was in civvies. approaching a junction, i was on the main road and there were cars coming from a minor road on the left; however traffic was slow moving so i was keeping my eyes open.
anyway, a lad pulled out onto the road (without looking) after seeing a gap and i called out 'hello hello' in a loudish but not unfriendly voice, which he heard and stopped, so i slipped by. at next set of lights, he pulled up alongside me and said 'sorry about that'.
'ah, not to worry'
'i'm a cyclist too actually'
(slight pause)
'but i wear a helmet and a hi-vis jacket'

ipopped out on the bike earlier to go pick the car up from a service, so was in civvies. approaching a junction, i was on the main road and there were cars coming from a minor road on the left; however traffic was slow moving so i was keeping my eyes open.
anyway, a lad pulled out onto the road (without looking) after seeing a gap and i called out 'hello hello' in a loudish but not unfriendly voice, which he heard and stopped, so i slipped by. at next set of lights, he pulled up alongside me and said 'sorry about that'.
'ah, not to worry'
'i'm a cyclist too actually'
(slight pause)
'but i wear a helmet and a hi-vis jacket'
Wait, you're like a bike cop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back