Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

i know someone who uses tannus tyres on his commuter. says they're obviously a little dead feeling but the benefit of not having to worry about punctures is great.
do those marathons prevent against pinch flats? i suspect that would still be a problem if you weren't paying attention to tyre pressure; and i've heard they're a bitch to mount or unmount.

i know someone who uses tannus tyres on his commuter. says they're obviously a little dead feeling but the benefit of not having to worry about punctures is great.
do those marathons prevent against pinch flats? i suspect that would still be a problem if you weren't paying attention to tyre pressure; and i've heard they're a bitch to mount or unmount.

They are a bitch to mount, i did a few in my workshop days. I didn't have a track pump for the past few years and was running them as low as about 20ish and no pinches yet. Actually the wheel got destroyed by a bus and the tire survived.

edit - In general, they possibly do pinch easier, but also it'd be the same pinch that'd take out regular tires i'd suspect.

Last edited:
I’ve had maybe two punctures in my life. One was a slow puncture that I only noticed when I went to go for a cycle one day and the other was a huge piece of glass in the cycle lane. Other than that I’ve been all across Dublin (used to cycle from Sandyford to Maynooth regularly), across Ireland, Italy and France.

I used to cycle a £220 1998 Raleigh mountain bike until 2002.
I cycled almost entirely on rural backroads and the N7 a bit.
I was getting multiple punctures every month. once in the mid 90's I got 3 three punctures in a week.
when roadside hedges got cut I would avoid going out or carry my bike though the debris / thorns.

I got a hernia in 2002 which was caused by being an overweight cyclist. I weighed about the same as I do now. by cycling just 10 miles everyday in the two weeks leading up to the hernia injury I lost half a stone. I attempted to go cycling a few times after being injured but had to stop and walk home (October 2002).

after I got a hernia operation in January 2003, I went back cycling about April and never felt right and soon stopped completely.
If I had first lost weight by eating properly and not over doing the cycling, I would probably have had no physical problems.
coinciding with this, the elderly guy across the road, retired from doing repairs to bikes etc and I getting a lot of punctures as I said.

I've done short spins on a bike about 4 times since and the last time, guess what? - I got a flat tyre.
if I started cycling again I wouldn't spend anymore on a bike than I did before and I would still do a lot of walking.

I've bought up to 300 bike racing mags in my time but I always skipped over bike reviews and tech stuff.
my cycling style was really lazy - I'd cycle up any incline as fast as I could but then take it easy and ride along handless until I got to the next slope.

were they all penetration punctures?
running tyres at too low a pressure is a *major* source of punctures.

speaking of which, the best experience i had after puncturing was on the way home from work a few years back. i hit a pothole under the bridge on east wall road, and at the point where i was remounting the tyre after swapping the tube out, a french woman walking past me stopped and asked had i punctured. sure have, says i; and her face lit up. she rummaged in her bag and produced a puncture repair kit, and brightly told me she carried it around to help people like me. i had to explain to her that i was OK, i had spare tubes and was nearly finished repairing the puncture. she actually ended up making me feel guilty, she was so crestfallen. she'd obviously been carrying that puncture repair kit around in her bag waiting a long time to pounce.
it was dusk anyway and the last thing i wanted was the faff of finding the hole and trying to use a puncture repait kit under a sodium lamp.

were they all penetration punctures?
running tyres at too low a pressure is a *major* source of punctures.

speaking of which, the best experience i had after puncturing was on the way home from work a few years back. i hit a pothole under the bridge on east wall road, and at the point where i was remounting the tyre after swapping the tube out, a french woman walking past me stopped and asked had i punctured. sure have, says i; and her face lit up. she rummaged in her bag and produced a puncture repair kit, and brightly told me she carried it around to help people like me. i had to explain to her that i was OK, i had spare tubes and was nearly finished repairing the puncture. she actually ended up making me feel guilty, she was so crestfallen. she'd obviously been carrying that puncture repair kit around in her bag waiting a long time to pounce.
it was dusk anyway and the last thing i wanted was the faff of finding the hole and trying to use a puncture repait kit under a sodium lamp.
A lot of it was things getting stuck in tyres - so yeah all holes, apart from a few valve problems.
sounds like keeping the tyres pumped up regularly would have helped.

Picked up cleats and shoes for the first time in my life, more as it happens.
On advice of a mate i went with the MTB style ones as my commute has a lot of traffic lights towards the end.

Picked up cleats and shoes for the first time in my life, more as it happens.
On advice of a mate i went with the MTB style ones as my commute has a lot of traffic lights towards the end.
SPD / MTB type pedals are the man for commutes. You can walk around in the shoes, more or less, and they're easier to clip into than the LOOK type guys. I'd be putting something like 5 years of daily abuse and zero servicing into very middle tier level Shimano SPD type pedals, and by the time the bearings were knackered the pedal bindings were worn away to the point it had become sharp. And, knowing me I'd crashed them several times a year. Bombproof so they are.

I was coming down from the mountains in the car on saturday and I saw a lad rolling down slowly on his bike. I spotted he had a rear puncture so I rolled down the window and asked him was he far from home, that I could go get him a tube (I was very near home).

He said he was ok, that he was less than 2km from home too, so I left him and drove on. I realised after that I recognised him and he was an ex-pro, and that he was rolling on a tub, hence the tube would have been fuck-all use to him. And he'd have been well able to get 2km home, downhill, riding on a tub.

Still, you don't get too many out riding tubs in the wicklow hills.

yeah, i use SPDs all the time, on my 'good' summer road bike too. too much faff having two different pedal systems, and the benefits of SPD-SL (the 'road' specific version) over plain old SPD are apparently not all that great.

SPD / MTB type pedals are the man for commutes. You can walk around in the shoes, more or less, and they're easier to clip into than the LOOK type guys. I'd be putting something like 5 years of daily abuse and zero servicing into very middle tier level Shimano SPD type pedals, and by the time the bearings were knackered the pedal bindings were worn away to the point it had become sharp. And, knowing me I'd crashed them several times a year. Bombproof so they are.

the shoes have serious tap dancer/cubano vibes. I got the trashy decathalon ones and the bearings were shit straight out of the box so I figure i'll learn on them and get something mid market next year. Initial reaction is that i've twenty years muscle developement on the push and kinda none on the pull so I'm gonna ease into that side of it. Suspect this week will be mostly about refining the setup, so far so good though I'll suspect i'll clip out in town till I'm able to get into them first go. I'm always slow to buy gear because i have a strict personal policy of only spending the petrol money i save on bike things (this is about 7 euro a day) and new panniers are the top of the list now.

they're still there; i should point out that the reason i don't use them is they're these - they've a wider cage around the pedal body, but as a result my shoes don't engage with the cleat as easily. my cleat is obviously just recessed a *little* too much, and the surrounding structure of the sole engages the pedal before the cleat does.

Amazon product ASIN B0052XXW32

anyway, can post them to you if you want them?

PXL_20211027_080952221.jpg

they're still there; i should point out that the reason i don't use them is they're these - they've a wider cage around the pedal body, but as a result my shoes don't engage with the cleat as easily. my cleat is obviously just recessed a *little* too much, and the surrounding structure of the sole engages the pedal before the cleat does.

View attachment 15240
they look pretty close to a set I have now on one of the bikes.
I'm using Shimano CX shoes with them and they seem to bind all the way in properly FWIW @ann post

More of a Co Clare Men's hurling team look rather than a tap dancer vibes I'd suggest. I feel very agricultural with them on, I blend right in out in the shticks with my fellow bog trotters.

iu

View attachment 15240

I'd be tempted but they seem a bit valuable and I'd have to figure out something to give in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back