Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

I had a brief dislike at them and then realised i was turning into old man shouting at cloud. clean, simple way to get around. Of course there are assholes - I don't know if they are supposed to be on the road or the path? They aren't cars so that's great.

I don't know if they are supposed to be on the road or the path?
the issue with them is the answer legally is 'neither'. they're motorised vehicles under current law, so are subject to the same laws as cars or motorbikes.
so not allowed on the path, and only allowed on the road with a driving licence, insurance, motor tax etc.

the issue with them is the answer legally is 'neither'. they're motorised vehicles under current law, so are subject to the same laws as cars or motorbikes.
so not allowed on the path, and only allowed on the road with a driving licence, insurance, motor tax etc.
I thought it was more a case of being caught between 2 stools. They are not bikes, nor are they motorized vehicles, by whatever definition of that exists. In other words there is no provision for them to be allowed anywhere. Could have that wrong, mind you.

it's that they *are* motorised vehicles by any definition.
a provision was explicitly made for e-bikes; they cannot be greater than 250W in power, the assist has to cut out above 25km/h, and crucially, they cannot power the bike under their own steam, there must always be pedal assist from the rider (though you can dial in and out the level of assist)

e-scooters are powered by nothing but an electric motor.

Spose it'll probably take a while to get a reasonable legislation around them - thing is we don't even have the infrastructure for cyclists at this point, so some grey area between path and road is all that i available.

i live near griffith avenue and they've started putting some in there. i joined the 'drumcondra social' facebook group with promises that there were fireworks over the cycle lanes but in general, the reaction disappointingly/pleasingly generally positive.

Those scooter things would be grand in cycle lanes if you ask me, but then again, you'd need to actual have a working cycle lane network then
No problem with scooters and electric bikes etc in the bike lanes for now, I'm all for clean modes of transport, and eventually there'll be enough of them to have separate electric and 'manual' lanes. But all I'd expect is that they not act the bollocks on them.

No problem with scooters and electric bikes etc in the bike lanes for now, I'm all for clean modes of transport, and eventually there'll be enough of them to have separate electric and 'manual' lanes. But all I'd expect is that they not act the bollocks on them.
That goes for scooters, cyclist, drivers, pedestrians, etc etc

i live near griffith avenue and they've started putting some in there. i joined the 'drumcondra social' facebook group with promises that there were fireworks over the cycle lanes but in general, the reaction disappointingly/pleasingly generally positive.
I'm sure Bertie will bring it up at some point, he's probably just gathering ammunition

bells are a mixed bag. plenty of people react to them like you'd blown a car horn at them (i've never used a bell, but several people i know have reported this).

That's gonna be class - you sticking with the old school shifters? Sorta miss those from being a teen.
that's the plan. am looking for everything a little old school - silver rims, groupset etc., and have a brown leather brooks to put on it, and matching (faux) brown leather bar tape. am thinking it'll need white cable housing.

also, am selling one of my bikes; now i'm no longer commuting to work i have a bike too many really.

yep, rattle can. was taken back to bare metal, etch primed, then painted, then lacquer on top. i may wait till the lacquer is fully cured (probably already is to be fair) and give it another fine sand and another coat.

i also managed to take apart and service the supposedly non user serviceable BB. it was much easier than i expected.

bells are a mixed bag. plenty of people react to them like you'd blown a car horn at them (i've never used a bell, but several people i know have reported this).
Sure they are - you need the right kind of a bell that allows for a loud ring and a soft ring, and its the cyclists job to learn how to use the thing. Give me a polite ring every time over some clown talking over my shoulder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back