Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

i suspect you're quite right.
or else, fingers crossed (in a very naive manner) their tanks will be taken off them and they'll come cap in hand, looking for more bikes.

was out on the bike today, headed over to tara and did a few reps with a lad who was on his 178th rep when i joined. he's doing 250 - going for a double everest.

skip find. lates 70s/early 80s dawes echelon, 531 frame. missing a few bits.

IMG_20200719_153452.jpg IMG_20200719_153524.jpg

i googled dawes echelon to find out what age it might be, and one of the first results was an ad on adverts for the very bike i found, from three years ago:

skip find. lates 70s/early 80s dawes echelon, 531 frame. missing a few bits.

View attachment 14111View attachment 14112

i googled dawes echelon to find out what age it might be, and one of the first results was an ad on adverts for the very bike i found, from three years ago:

Dude in the original advert has his saddle SLAMMED.

I've an old Campag seatpost I could give you that would suit that bike nicely... but it's stuck in an old frame.

If you know a magic trick to unseize steel frames with Alu seat posts I'd send it on to you. I can't throw the frame away because I like the seatpost :-/

is it galvanic corrosion? if so, phosphoric based descaler apparently is the way to go (that's if it's an aluminium seatpost *corroded* into a steel frame)
coke is a cheaper, less effective option, apparently.
another chap i know mentioned plusgas - using thermal shock to separate them. i can't remember if that was for a steel seatpost in an alu frame or vice versa - one metal has a higher coefficient of expansion, so if you freeze it, the seatpost should shrink more than the frame and break the seal,

Last edited:
is it galvanic corrosion? if so, phosphoric based descaler apparently is the way to go (that's if it's an aluminium seatpost *corroded* into a steel frame)
coke is a cheaper, less effective option, apparently.
another chap i know mentioned plusgas - using thermal shock to separate them. i can't remember if that was for a steel seatpost in an alu frame or vice versa - one metal has a higher coefficient of expansion, so if you freeze it, the seatpost should shrink more than the frame and break the seal,

I think it's... yeah... there's been some class of chemical reaction that seems to have created some powdery white stuff, and it's seized TF.
I've tried penetrating lube, a few shlaps with the hammer around the seattube to shock it out... and that's about it. It wasn't moving.

When you say coke, you mean... CocaCola? The problem with chemical compounds is it's hard to actually get the chemicals in there.

I like the thermal ideas. I can see that conceivably working. I'd have thrown the frame away were it not for the Campag bit attached. One doesn't simply throw Campag bits away. The frame is beyond knackered. It's been through 8 NYC winters, and it's rusted internally.

OK. I'm becoming more resolute as I type. I'm going to get the post off the frame. I'm not taking it back home to Ireland, so it has to come off.

yeah, coca cola. with the caveat that i've not tried it (or any of the above) myself. hard to get it in there unless there's bottle mounts on the seat tube you can get it through with the frame turned upside down, or unless you remove the BB.

this is a pain in the swiss. there's damage to the seat tube at the clamp. i suspect what happened was someone put a 26.6mm seatpost in and clamped it down, bending the seat tube slightly (which i think looks like a 27.2mm standard)

you can see a bulge and a tear in the tube several mm long, coming out of the end of the slot:

IMG_20200722_191136.jpg

Maybe if you photoshop a couple of googly eyes on the top of the clamp, it'd at least make it funnily anthropomorphic, and you'll feel better?

this is a pain in the swiss. there's damage to the seat tube at the clamp. i suspect what happened was someone put a 26.6mm seatpost in and clamped it down, bending the seat tube slightly (which i think looks like a 27.2mm standard)

you can see a bulge and a tear in the tube several mm long, coming out of the end of the slot:

View attachment 14122

Bit scary looking.

is that the Dawes 531 frame?

yeah. probably fixable, but not by me. would require equipment and skills i don't have.

yeah, oxy acetylene torch sort of thing?
That's a fair step up in the commitment end of things, unless you're mates with a lad with a rig.

It's close to the brazing by the seat stay lugs too. Tricky. You might just be able to bend it back, and braze up the crack. It's not in a weak area of the frame. As long as the seat stay brazes aren't messed with. Which... yeah. Tricky.

i've offered it to a lad down in waterford who does up old bikes. if he takes it on, fine, but he's a far better judge than me on whether it's worth saving, if possible.

Sean Kelly?

I've heard hes a miserable fucker. Still has his communion money, etc

Sean used to come into the bike shop I worked at, complete with peat moss coloured hair.

It was a bit surreal, one of my icons strolled in, and all I could do was fixate on the lad's hair. It looked like he had bleached it blonde, permed it, straightened it again, dyed it... a sort of peat smoke/ light taupe colour? And then poofed it back out, and brushed it all back.

I didn't serve him because I was only working as a mechanic, but Sean was able to talk directly to the guy serving him in a way that nobody else could hear a word he was saying. He kind of looked 45 degrees down, leaned in a bit, murmured something, and the sales guy immediately scurried off and came back with various bits. (While I was trying to make up reasons not to go back to the workshop.)

I was expecting him to buy a rake of Dura Ace stuff or Campag. No such exciting purchases happened. Possibly a few inner tubes and tyres were sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back