Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

cycled up to kippure on friday. bloody nora, that was tough.
Heh. I never actually rode up that, I rode past the road hundreds of times. Shite. Is the road open these days or no?

One of the lads in the club was out riding the Wicklow Gap on a damp day, keeping the head down and the elbows in, generally thinking he was a bit of a hard bastard. Then Sean Kelly cruises straight past him, sitting in the big ring, nods hello, and vanishes off up the road.

It was probably a 53 big ring and all.

edit, my memory is shit. The TV mast turn off was just a barrier right? There was another road up a hill in Wicklow that was all fenced off, silver chainlink stuff. I was always on a fucking mission riding the military road, thinking it's going to lash rain at any moment and then I'd be stuck out there freezing my bollix off. I was coming down off it once with no sensation at all in my fingers, trying to work out where the brake lever was by guiding my fingers on it by sight. Best road in Wicklow though.

Last edited:
yeah, i cycled up past lough dan, and after the climb past it, lifted my bike over the barrier at the bottom of the approach to kippure. there's easy pedestrian access. the climb up was fine, in terms of road surface - bumpy but plenty of traction. coming down is not fun, you just don't feel you've enough traction at speed to drop anchor easily.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something

View attachment 13301

the mud guard action on that bike is exemplary. The front mud guards go... I mean, fucking *under* the wheel.

You could be sat on that back wheel, coming into Bray on the way home in pissings of rain, and your shoes are barely feeling it, let alone the rest of you.

edit, I'm still looking at it. It's dawning on me that the front mudguard might be mounted on the wrong side of the forks. That's not dampening my general enthusiasm though.

the mud guard action on that bike is exemplary. The front mud guards go... I mean, fucking *under* the wheel.

You could be sat on that back wheel, coming into Bray on the way home in pissings of rain, and your shoes are barely feeling it, let alone the rest of you.

edit, I'm still looking at it. It's dawning on me that the front mudguard might be mounted on the wrong side of the forks. That's not dampening my general enthusiasm though.
Yeah, this zone of protection is crucial for the feets - this is my winter bike

1577642207613.png
Also, important to consider how wet you can get after it's stopped raining
It's all that shit coming up off the streets that does the soaking then

Anyone have one of those Dutch cargo bikes for ferrying kids around? Any thoughts on them? I was thinking of getting an electric one for the school and work runs - not sure how easy it is to cycle through the city and find a decent parking space though?

I saw loads of them when I was Copenhagen a few years ago men and and wemon tearing down the road with the husband or the wife and kids sitting in the front. They looked like very nice bikes in fairness.

I saw loads of them when I was Copenhagen a few years ago men and and wemon tearing down the road with the husband or the wife and kids sitting in the front. They looked like very nice bikes in fairness.
Yeah, my concern is that Dublin being so cycling unfriendly that they are not practical or safe in comparison to Holland or Denmark.

Well maybe you will start a new trend in Dublin they seem to be fashionable in Denmark. Was looking at this last night it's expensive though.

I used to see someone riding around here on one for a while but not for some time now. Maybe the kids are older?

*I'd imagine walking/cycling your routes and keeping an eye open for possible problems on the routes could be worthwhile before spending the money. I bet they aren't cheap.

No harm being handy with a spanner too,in case ou get stuck somewhere.

*beaten to it.

Hey, can I attach a basket on there where the fenders are?

Hey, can I attach a basket on there where the fenders are?
as in through that bolt that the brakes are mounted on? (That bolt is where the fenders are hanging from, right?)

I think... no? I'm not the world's foremost expert on baskets, I thought they either hung off the handlebars or were mounted onto bosses brazed onto the forks, no?

Or if there are no bosses available, the struts can reach right down and get held into place on the front wheel axle.

I *think* in general no, that's not what they normally do.

as in through that bolt that the brakes are mounted on? (That bolt is where the fenders are hanging from, right?)

I think... no? I'm not the world's foremost expert on baskets, I thought they either hung off the handlebars or were mounted onto bosses brazed onto the forks, no?

Or if there are no bosses available, the struts can reach right down and get held into place on the front wheel axle.

I *think* in general no, that's not what they normally do.
I have looked this one over and it looks possible

Good candidate for a bar bag or roll bag. A bit smaller than a basket, essentially a lunchbox.
I want to get something where I can do a semi-decent grocery shop – 20lbs of bulky crap

I’m sure someone is selling the right thing for me someplaces

A roll bag might work on my summer bike

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back