Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

Third week. Had to drive to the north west at the weekend and actually had to jump start the car because it had been used so little. Mid last week was peak sore legs though its all becoming habitual at this point. Buying petrol feels really weird.

7 weeks later. Overall I've lapsed two weeks but primarily using the bike now. Trips north still need the car because I've a rake of tools i need to carry around - HOWEVER - it dawned on me that petrol for three runs north and back is probably the price of those or at least slightly shitty copies of those tools. Starting to consider the possibility of not owning a car*

*while still getting some form of insurance for rentals/emergencies.

My daily driver turned out to be rusting from the inside out. It's survived one theft, I dunno how many NYC shitty winters and being beaten on the daily. So I *purchased* a new frame on e bay, and finished building it up just now.

Here's some pics of my new daily driver hotness.

(Edit I've attached the old girl / doner bike out of respect. She did well.)

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My daily driver turned out to be rusting from the inside out. It's survived one theft, I dunno how many NYC shitty winters and being beaten on the daily. So I *purchased* a new frame on e bay, and finished building it up just now.

Here's some pics of my new daily driver hotness.

(Edit I've attached the old girl / doner bike out of respect. She did well.)
very nice. Can't claim to be in any way familiar with the brand but she's certainly a nice looking machine. Nice blend of retro and modern with the build too. Good job.

very nice. Can't claim to be in any way familiar with the brand but she's certainly a nice looking machine. Nice blend of retro and modern with the build too. Good job.

Yeah, I'd never heard of them either. Some geezers in Milwaukee seemingly. It was a test colour that they didn't use or something, old model, paid 125 Trump Bucks for it so as long as I can get a few years daily riding I'm happy.

The old style center pull brakes might be a bit shitty? or it might be the pads? I've got some old Sachs New Success brakes that have been sitting in a box for a few years which might get the call back to service. I need to be able to stand the bike on the front wheel while sitting on the saddle, and it's not close to that.

I know I'm insanely picky about bikes. I'm also a cheap bastard. Sometimes these two facts clash.

edit: just found their website: Shop Online for Chromoly Bicycle Frames for Fixed Gear Riders, Commuters, Road Cyclists and Cyclocross

meh. I'm sure they're fine.

I'm testing a new thing.

Since my bike is now shiny and nice, I'm getting picky about locking it up and all that. So, I did some research on how to preserve the paint. Ice hockey tape, which I think is stuff they put on the hitting bit of the stick, is meant to be somehow magically resilient to impact. You can get it in clear, so I've thrown some on to the bits of the frame that get the worst of the bangs.

I've also put it on the rear stay of a couple of other bikes to stop chain slap chipping paint. If it actually works, it's mad cheap and doesn't really look bad, it might be a winner.

I'll let you know if it's any use in a few months if people are interested.

Just back from doing about 120km weekend cycling trip around Stangford Loch. Half of it was on the Belfast / comber greenway but highly recommend it. Not TOO hilly and scenic as fuck. Friendly locals despite all the intimidating (at first) union jacks everywhere. And many stops for swift pints and fancy lunches. Highly recommended. Although I can’t sit down comfortably for a few days

Just back from doing about 120km weekend cycling trip around Stangford Loch. Half of it was on the Belfast / comber greenway but highly recommend it. Not TOO hilly and scenic as fuck. Friendly locals despite all the intimidating (at first) union jacks everywhere. And many stops for swift pints and fancy lunches. Highly recommended. Although I can’t sit down comfortably for a few days

Did you run 2 or 3 days?

Had a total 'mare on Friday. Went from Navan to the Battle Of The Boyne, then heading back to Slane we turned off for Dowth. Puncture. No spare tube. Bollox. Ended up walking with the bike as far as the N51 where some dude gave me a lift to Slane (good job too as I'd have been killed on that road). Got a coffee in Slane and walked a further 4k or so out the road while I waited for Ian, who'd left me at Dowth to go get the car. Good man.
Then 'mare 2 started. Realised I'd lost my bank card on the way somewhere. So drove back to Slane (the day before the gig too so it was busy as fuck) to retrace my steps. Ended up calling into the tourist office. "I don't suppose anyone left in a ...." the three women there all finished the line "bankcard!".
On Sunday I bought a kit for the bike. I've loads of spare tubes in the garage. No good there.

Had a total 'mare on Friday. Went from Navan to the Battle Of The Boyne, then heading back to Slane we turned off for Dowth. Puncture. No spare tube. Bollox. Ended up walking with the bike as far as the N51 where some dude gave me a lift to Slane (good job too as I'd have been killed on that road). Got a coffee in Slane and walked a further 4k or so out the road while I waited for Ian, who'd left me at Dowth to go get the car. Good man.
Then 'mare 2 started. Realised I'd lost my bank card on the way somewhere. So drove back to Slane (the day before the gig too so it was busy as fuck) to retrace my steps. Ended up calling into the tourist office. "I don't suppose anyone left in a ...." the three women there all finished the line "bankcard!".
On Sunday I bought a kit for the bike. I've loads of spare tubes in the garage. No good there.

Ugh that sounds rough

I'm buying a bike on Friday and it'll be the first once I've bought in around 25 years! Moved to an area last year which is near big parks and is fairly safe to cycle around so thought I might as well get something basic to go for a spin on. It'll probably only ever get used for cycling down to the nearest notions off-licence for tiny £5 cans of beer but I'm excited all the same.

I'm buying a bike on Friday and it'll be the first once I've bought in around 25 years! Moved to an area last year which is near big parks and is fairly safe to cycle around so thought I might as well get something basic to go for a spin on. It'll probably only ever get used for cycling down to the nearest notions off-licence for tiny £5 cans of beer but I'm excited all the same.

Small recommendation - I've been in a bike workshop for a year now, just avoid the bottom of the market. the entry level stuff thats coming in these days is shameful. We've had a fair few that we had to scrap that were just around a year old, and they are just owned by students doing tiny runs around town.bGo maybe 1-2 steps above entry level or if there's a second hand thing handy.

crank snapped on my bike on the way to work this morning. Walked the last 4 miles with crank and pedal in hand.

Bizarre thing to happen. Before last year it had never happened once, now twice in the space of a year. I'm thinking there must be a design flaw with the bike. Even though the crank is new since last year there must be some kind of imbalance that causes more pressure (it broke on the non-chainring side). Very odd. I'll get it sorted, but if the same thing happens a year for now, it'll be new bike time.

I can't remember. I don't think so though. I think it was just the crank. I'll ask them to look at the BB this time for sure.

On mature revision I think it might be best to not mention. Anyone in a bike store has more experience than me. It's my primary suspicion but simultaneously it can be a headache to work on (lots of money) so I'd hold back on mentioning to see what they think.

7 weeks later. Overall I've lapsed two weeks but primarily using the bike now. Trips north still need the car because I've a rake of tools i need to carry around - HOWEVER - it dawned on me that petrol for three runs north and back is probably the price of those or at least slightly shitty copies of those tools. Starting to consider the possibility of not owning a car*

*while still getting some form of insurance for rentals/emergencies.

The pattern remains, mostly cycling with the occasional lapse into cardom. Its gotten a lot easier over the weeks with the weather and general fitness.

Latest revelation (for me) is second hand cycling gear on ebay*. Got a bar bag (very dependable brand, normally around 90) for 20 quid, a few jerseys for 5-6eu. All just refining the stuff I have/use on the routes I'm on.

Fair play for getting straight back at it - spotted on strava a few days ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back