Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

and no one looks silly being fed by a rubber tube for the rest of their life

That old chestnut.

If safety is your number 1 priority then you should wear one while out in the car or while walking or while drinking. I know people who weren't wearing helmets in cars with seatbelts and airbags who still died or have been seriously injured. Same with while out walking and same with while being drunk. So why not everyone wear helmets all the time? There is just this ridiculous notion that cycling is exceptionally dangerous when it is not.

The wearing of helmets reinforces this notion and discourages people from cycling. Raising the number of cyclists is the biggest benefit to cycling safety.

so, this mornings altercation.

Was cycling up Amiens St between blessington st and the 5 lamps and there was a taxi ahead of me. He was swerving a little and was encroaching 50% or more into the cycle lane. As I went by him I gestured (politely) to move out. I noticed then he hadn't even his hands on the steering wheel (at the time I thought he was eating a packet of peanuts or something). Anyhow, lights went green and I pulled off, up the hill towards the canal. He pulls along side me and starts screaming at me. I looked over and noticed he had a handful of 20 euro notes in his hand (so he was counting money beforehand). I shouted back at him - nothing in particular, just felt I should shout to drown out his shouts. Then he slams on the brakes - mine aren't the best at the minute and I was cock-sure I was gone into to the back of him. Then he starts swerving all over the lane so I couldn't get by him. Next lights hes stopped at (just after the rail bridge before Annesley Bridge), he pulls towards the left so I can't get by. I went around the right of him, and he swerves right, but then stopped, realising he can't really do that. Then he pulls off up the left slip road - I was convinced he was coming after me - rolls down his window and starts roaring at me again. I told him I was going to call the carriage office to complain (I got the taxi plate number rather than the car reg - it was a people carrier). He shouted that he didn't give a fuck, and did I want his phone number as well.

The only part of that whole story that bothers me is the part where he slammed on the brakes. I got a bit of a fright - I'm hardened to the rest of it by now. I thought of complaining to the cops and/or the carriage office, but really I can't be arsed. I wasn't physically harmed so I'll let it go.

Anyhow, that was my commute. The first bit of bother in a while. Stay safe out there kids.

do i remember reading that the carriage office can only deal with a complaint if you were a passenger?

http://www.dublincycling.com/node/365

this seems to suggest complaining to the gardai

also, this seems to suggest that complaining is a waste of time;

The decision to prosecute/issue penalty notice is taken solely by Superintendent at the Garda station for that locality. If an individual Garda did not detect the offence then you are on an uphill slope right away. It will be your word against the driver and on balance the Superintendent will not progress your citing. He/she will reject it and you will not be told why. Sadly, we are up against an ingrained ‘institutional blindness’ within the echelons of An Garda management that does not seem to understand cyclists’ road safety needs. But then too many cyclists have, by their road behaviour, helped to bring this impasse about. It’s time for change on both fronts.

which is a pity really. What I was thinking was that I'd complain, but mention that I didn't really want anything done other than to keep a record of the incident, and the fact that the driver in question did what he did. That way, should anyone else complain in the future, they can see a bit of history building up, and it'd bode pretty badly for my taxi driving friend. Not even sure thats possible though.

would be interesting to see if the complaint would be treated any differently if you found a bike-mounted garda and made the complaint to him.

Make a complaint to both carriage office and the guards say he tried to run you off the road/assault you.

Remember to stress how he made you feel threatened and endangered by his actions. As far as I remember the carriage office is supposed to investigate all complaints so he should at least hear back about it.

That old chestnut.

If safety is your number 1 priority then you should wear one while out in the car or while walking or while drinking. I know people who weren't wearing helmets in cars with seatbelts and airbags who still died or have been seriously injured. Same with while out walking and same with while being drunk. So why not everyone wear helmets all the time? There is just this ridiculous notion that cycling is exceptionally dangerous when it is not.

The wearing of helmets reinforces this notion and discourages people from cycling. Raising the number of cyclists is the biggest benefit to cycling safety.

Re-read my original post, fool. I was criticising the crap reasons people give for not wearing helmets. Personally I don't think they look silly, but I think a needless brain injury does. Personally I think it is worth buying and wearing one. You are welcome to risk whatever you like.

But if you are seriously equating the risks of head injury whilst cycling, on a bike, on streets filled with cunts like the taxi driver described above, with the risk of head injury whilst walking, being belted up in a car, or simply 'being drunk', then you are either totally thick or a very bad walker. 'Chestnut' my hole.

But if you are seriously equating the risks of head injury whilst cycling, on a bike, on streets filled with cunts like the taxi driver described above, with the risk of head injury whilst walking, being belted up in a car, or simply 'being drunk', then you are either totally thick or a very bad walker. 'Chestnut' my hole.

Well, I was being facetious when drawing walking and being drunk into the argument (Though the worst head injury I have sustained was while drunk and standing still, followed by swift punch to the temple). But as for driving, people are dying of head injuries all the time. Why not use a helmet? Why stop at seatbelts? I genuinely do not see how you can argue the case for helmets on bikes and not in cars.

amazing, from the daily telegraph's version of the same story;

A red-haired woman, clad in tight-fitting black trousers and sweatshirt, can be seen shouting at a man on bicycle and shoving him into the ditch in what appears to be a bout of road rage.

The incident, which was shot by a following car and posted on YouTube, is believed to have happened at around 12.25pm on Jan 28, according to Gloucester police.

The footage shows the cyclist, who is wearing Wellington boots, a waxed jacket and flat cap, pedalling along the B4425 at Ampney Coln near Bibury, Gloucester, apparently oblivious to the traffic piling up behind him.

Meanwhile, the occupants of the car can be heard exclaiming in exasperation at the actions of the "arrogant" man, who they believe could be a hunt supporter attempting to hamper the progress of a vehicle monitoring it.

Fox-hunting involving hunts tracking, chasing, and killing foxes was outlawed in 2005. But hunting by a smell or trail is still lawful and monitored by anti-hunt campaigners.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...er-assault-on-cyclist-holding-up-traffic.html

so good on her

usually in that situation on a tight country road, i'd pull over to a safe spot on the side. especially with other traffic might be coming the other way.

Usually when you're out blocking traffic from catching up with a hunt?

Users who are viewing this thread

• T
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back