Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

i need to get a new bike, one with shocks. i was thinking of getting a hard trail and sticking my 700 wheels on it. Would the 80 - 100 mm shocks be over kill for road use? what are the draw backs of getting a mtb for road use? i only cycle about the city.

Once you get slick tyres you'll be grand on the road. Beware that the 700 wheels probably fit on the mtb frame though. I'd suggest some kind of hybrid with front suspension if you really want shocks. 80-100 would be grand on the road but personally I see no reason for shocks for road use as the shock tends to soak up a lot of the energy you put into pedalling the bike.

what are the draw backs of getting a mtb for road use? i only cycle about the city.

the drawbacks are it being slightly heavier, and not being geared as much for speed.
the advantages are having better grip on ice and leaves and being able to deal with badly maintained roads more comfortably.

the drawbacks are it being slightly heavier, and not being geared as much for speed.
the advantages are having better grip on ice and leaves and being able to deal with badly maintained roads more comfortably.

a work colleague of mine does complain about my using a mountain bike and not a road bike for cycles. my point is that the roads that i cycle on would be too damaging for a road bike usually with adding something uncomplimentary about meath (especially if the meath person is there :D)

At the moment I'm riding a road bike set to single speed with bmx/mtb pedals, mtb flat handlebars and fairly heavy duty tyres. I find it pretty comfy for cycling all day with plenty of control and also extremely efficient energy wise with the large frame and 700 wheels.

The main reason i was thinking of getting a mtb over hybrid was they seem better value for money i.e better group set and shocks. My wrists are starting to hurt from using rigid forks combined with the height of my saddle over the stem.

ideally i'd live this bike but it's too fucking dear. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative?

that looks like a fixie to me.

I don't know a whole lot about mtbs but I wouldn't be too put off them if most of my cycling was fairly short spins. But, as someone said there, a hybrid might be the better option. Shocks are probably overkill for our shitty street.

I ride a hybrid. A Giant Seek 4 - basic enough, acquired on bike to work, but sturdy as fuck, so more than does the job (the commuter bike will last 3-4 years before it dies I reckon). I ride it on 35mm tires, which is wide and grippy enough for wet and (fingers crossed) icy roads.

If you're gonna go mtb I wouldn't be put off by the gearing. My hybrid is geared with mtb ratios and its grand. The only thing would be not to have tires that are too wide or knobbly. That'll make the bike zip along a bit quicker.

Check canyon.com - I don't know what their mtb range is like but I know their road range, and its deadly. The low-end bikes are amazingly spec'd. Maybe the mtbs likewise.

that looks like a fixie to me.

I don't know a whole lot about mtbs but I wouldn't be too put off them if most of my cycling was fairly short spins. But, as someone said there, a hybrid might be the better option. Shocks are probably overkill for our shitty street.

I ride a hybrid. A Giant Seek 4 - basic enough, acquired on bike to work, but sturdy as fuck, so more than does the job (the commuter bike will last 3-4 years before it dies I reckon). I ride it on 35mm tires, which is wide and grippy enough for wet and (fingers crossed) icy roads.

If you're gonna go mtb I wouldn't be put off by the gearing. My hybrid is geared with mtb ratios and its grand. The only thing would be not to have tires that are too wide or knobbly. That'll make the bike zip along a bit quicker.

Check canyon.com - I don't know what their mtb range is like but I know their road range, and its deadly. The low-end bikes are amazingly spec'd. Maybe the mtbs likewise.

The Cannondale is an internal 8 speed hub. http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/0/alfine.html

HMD, what kinda budget have you got for a bike?

I presume you'd have to buy in the South so chain reaction would be no good to ya, still you're bound to get a decent bike for 650 easy enough.

It's not a fixie, there's an 8 speed hub. that'd be plenty of gears for city use

them canyon bike look good and as you said they have decent spec. are there any dealers in dublin?

they only do direct sales so you have to order through their website (or ring them - if you speak german). That can make the bike to work thing a bit awkward, depending on what scheme you're employer is using. If its bikes4work (the gift voucher one), then I don't think its doable. If its by invoicing your employer I think you can swing it that way alright.

Its their direct sales model that keeps their costs down, hence the good specs at reasonably cheap prices. But the headache of sorting the bike to work shit might be more trouble than its worth.

So anyone been cycling in the ice and snow, great craic altogether although I'm a tad annoyed my mountain bike is out of commission so I'm stuck with the single speed. Averaging one fall a day which is decent me thinks.

yeah, I had my first fall of the season yesterday. The roads are becoming smaller and smaller as the snow takes over the sides. I'm 50% pushing the bike and 50% cycling for straight stretches

At the start of the week i was getting off for any ice i saw but now i've got the hang of it* I use the crumlin rd/cork st way into town which is well gritted but today i noticed a lot of ice under the slush. The road up to my gaf compacted snow which isn't to bad.

*that's me fucked for the way home now

Attempted to cycle along North Strand Rd last night on my racer but it was hardened slush and I turned back. I'm a bit of a wuss, I think.

I'm not working so I've been taking my MTB to phoenix park. It was an absolute bitch cycling round in the snow this morning. Like cycling through treacle. Got passed by a guy running (oh the shame). Have to cycle mostly on the footpath to get there, plenty of grip ande not to many peds.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JohnnyRaz
  • Deadmanposting
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back