Jaysus cycling! (1 Viewer)

They would do alright, dunno how much as it depends on what gear you want to put on it, best call in to them discuss what you want and get a quote.

jaysus, mumbly matt and graham-fair fucks to them, but i would not have pictured either of them in 'customer service'
roles.hope it goes well for them.

But they're certainly bike nerds. Matt = Chewie? Eoin is the third partner in there too.

Why are any of us living in this country?

http://bostonbiker.org/2011/03/22/cambridge-installs-self-help-tool-stations/

Cambridge Installs Self Help Tool Stations
Written by Boston Biker on Mar 22

This is awesome…

bikerepair-thumb-520x390-36598-500x375.jpg

Cambridge Transportation Program Manager Cara Seiderman said the city has installed the bicycle repair stations in Harvard Square and outside the main library in the past two weeks. Another center was installed at Fresh Pond late last year.
“It’s a way of supporting and making it easier for people to bike,” Seiderman said.
The stands provide tire gauges and pumps, Allen wrenches and a few other tools that enable cyclists to make minor repairs, such as adjusting seats or handlebars.
Each station cost the city about $1,000 and Seiderman said the city got the idea from MIT which has already installed repair stations around its campus.
The installation of the repair stations comes as the city has seen a growing number of people riding bikes through Cambridge. A study conducted by the city estimates that the number of people bicycling in Cambridge more than doubled between 2002 and 2008, based on a study of the number of cyclists counted traveling through 17 different intersections. Seiderman said the number has continued to rise since 2008.(via)
For almost free (as far as these sort of things go) you can now stop by two locations in Cambridge and pump up your tires, fix a flat, and several other easy repairs. Thanks Cambridge, Boston you paying attention?
I think this is a great idea, and hope to see a couple of these near some popular bike parking spots all over town.

Had to get off the bike twice today myself, Barrow St outside Google is fucking mental since they finished up Nama/Google towers. Grand Canal Quay is also a crazy wind trap.

Anyone else think that the roads around town have gotten even worse since the super-harsh winter? The faux-red brick parts at crossroads and that ramps are made of seem to be really badly falling apart at the moment.

Or am I just imagining it?

Yeah defo the case, have yous seen the dodgy tarred repair job someone did on Parnel street outside Ilac Centre/cycleways? Another lovely cycling day out there today

Did my first decent longish cycle there a few weeks back. Harold's Cross up to Kippure in Wicklow in one gear (46/16) took an hour twenty. Then back the next day with after no sleep in just over an hour. Freewheeling from Kippure to Tallaght was great craic but watching the lads on fixies flying down with feet off the pedals was even better.

Insanity!!! On my first week using a fixy i had some lack of concentration on a hill and let myself go too fast to keep my feet on the pedals, the lack of control was frightening

Even driving I've noticed this. Especially those red bricks.

It's not actually brick. It's coloured patterned tarmac to give the effect of brick.
And yes, it's fucking awful.

They've replaced the part at the junction of Parnell St and Moore St.
Lots more fucked up places elsewhere though.

http://www.traceysolicitors.ie/blog/cyclists-in-dublin-facts-figures-on-accidents/

Cyclists in Dublin facts & figures on accidents
February 1, 2010 by admin

An eye opening report prepared by Dublin City Council from Garda statistics last year on cycling accidents throws up some revealing statistics on accidents involving cyclists.
There were approximately 427 collisions involving cyclists reported to the Garda in Dublin city over the period (2002 to 2006), 11 of which involved fatalities.

11 Fatalities
8 of these deaths were of cyclists killed by left-turning Lorries.
1 involved a vehicle hitting a cyclist when changing lanes
1 a vehicle rear-ended the cyclist
1 was caused by a stolen vehicle driving head on into a cyclist.

Cars involved in 70% of cyclist accidents
Almost 70 per cent off all cycle collisions involved cars.
Left-turning vehicles were involved the majority of fatalities,
The most common collision involved right-turning cars. These accounted for just fewer than 20 per cent of incidents.
The next most common type is classified as “side swipes”, accounting for 15 per cent of collisions. These occur where a vehicle overtaking a cyclist or changing lanes hits the bicycle.
Door opening accidents accounted for about 14 per cent of incidents
Left-turning vehicles hitting cyclists accounted for just over 12 per cent.
Crashes where the fault is more likely to be attributable to the cyclist accounted for a much smaller proportion of incidents. In just over 4 per cent a cyclist hit a pedestrian, while in fewer than 3 per cent of collisions a cyclist turned right into on-coming traffic.
The more serious a crash, the more likely it was to involve a vehicle turning left, according to the report.
While 73 per cent of fatalities were at a left turn (all involving HGVs) almost one-third resulting in serious injury to the cyclist involved a left-turning vehicle.

November the most dangerous month to cycle in Dublin?
The report also found that November was the worst month for collisions
Cyclists between the ages of 20 and 29 were the most likely to be involved in incidents
The traffic department is to put recommendations to city councilors tomorrow. Chief among these is a recommendation that Cyclops mirrors be fitted to HGVs so they can better see cyclists on their left. The report found that in the majority of left-turning collisions the HGV driver did not see the cyclist.
It also recommends that all cycle lanes be inspected annually.
Several collisions occurred when cyclists were forced to move out of the lane to avoid potholes or sunken gullies.
Top four types of cycle accidents
Drivers turning right in front of an oncoming bicycle.
Drivers hitting a bicycle when overtaking or changing lanes.
Car doors being opened in front of cyclists.
Drivers hitting cyclists when turning left.

Recommendations
Segregation of bicycles and HGVs where possible.
Awareness campaign on the danger of left-turning HGVs.
Upgrade of cycle lanes to remove potholes, sunken gullies and poor surfaces.
Enforcement of legislation regarding the use of bicycle lights.
Encourage more cycling to produce a “safety in numbers” effect.
Provide additional cycling infrastructure on a “most used routes” priority basis.
“Cyclops” mirrors made compulsory on all HGVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back