Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

A few dozen parking fines would hopefully help.
there was an apartment block where I used to live which banned commercial vehicles, but this wasn't enforced because typically those vehicles were massive and too hard to tow. Situation ended up being that the place was full of commercials from 4pm onwards, and if you took a car anywhere over the evening or weekend you had nowhere to return to in your own place.

So some terrible person went out at night and let down all the commercial vehicle's tyres with a little key thing that was extremely quick. If you left your fleet over the weekend you were almost guaranteed to have no air in your tyres on monday morning. Weekday was a dice roll.

After about a month almost all of them fucked off elsewhere.

About average I think? Maybe on the good end of average. Normally they give you charts when they measure you.
V02 max is funny. Like you can clearly see the lads who measured sixty plus were classy AF. Even lads measuring under 60 seemed extremely strong.
Freaks like Greg Lemond had something in the high 80s? But then there's people like Sean Kelly or Mark Cavendish who had weirdly low V02 maxes (considering the amount of races they won).
I only know bits and pieces about this but a V02 over 50 means yer properly fit.

Greg LeMond had a V02 of 92.5 which is colossal. for decades this was cited as the cyclist max. Indurain was supposed to be similar.
former Norwegian cyclist Kurt Asle Aversen had a V02 of 93! (see links below)

a lot of Scandanavians had very high V02 maximums - much higher than Kenyan world record holders -
see the final link below.

there was a Norwegian cross country skier in the 90's whose V02 was 96 Bjørn Dæhlie - Wikipedia

an average cycling pro would be about late 70's so over 80 is a big deal.
footballer Nicolas Anelka often came up as having an exceptionally low V02 for an elite athlete - 63.
just found this - V02 ain't everything it seems:

also, some mouthbreathing scrotes videoed themselves deliberately knocking down a cyclist at the back of the airport, and decided to put it on tiktok. with the reg of the car shown in the video.

https: slashslash old.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/xzqx2o/scum_knocking_down_cyclist/

fails to embed if i put the normal URL in.

Cipollini faces hearing in alleged assault on ex-wife | Cyclingnews.com
Mario Cipollini 'chased ex-wife with gun' court hears - Cycling Weekly

Cipollini also had two heart operations recently.

but now when i put it all together:
- I once remember Cipo spraying champagne over the podium girls at the Giro.
- he was famously kicked off the Vuelta for punching Francisco Cerezo in 2000
causing a bad cut under his eye.
- and the prank video from 2003 ends with him punching the guys who pretended
to steal and smash up his Worlds Champs winning bike.

Three year sentence

I never bought into the Cippo love. I always thought he was an angry, slimy, womanising fuck who was juiced up to the gills. I hated how he'd start the tour de France, do 4 or 5 early stages, then leave cos mountains.

This news is not really surprising tbh

it's been announced that a new category has been created for the cycle to work scheme - for cargo bikes, with the tax free allowance extending to €3k.
which is positive; but the general use case of a cargo bike is not for cycling to work really. and as usual, the scheme benefits the already well off.

ideally, i'd prefere if they zero-rated VAT on bikes; it would achieve almost the same savings for people on the higher tax band, and be a much more equitable way of spreading the benefit.

it's been announced that a new category has been created for the cycle to work scheme - for cargo bikes, with the tax free allowance extending to €3k.
which is positive; but the general use case of a cargo bike is not for cycling to work really. and as usual, the scheme benefits the already well off.
I imagine a cargo bike would allow a lot of people who drop kids to school in a car and then go to work to switch to a bike. I’d cycle to work more with a cargo bike even beyond the kids angle, you can actually bring stuff in and out on the bike.

(Also, I didn’t use my regular cycle to work bike to cycle to work so this is hardly new?)

it's not new, but the rules (which no one enforces) are that the purchase of the bike should be for cycling to work. this just makes it a bit more obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back