Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

Right, so. I thought this was the best place to come since youse know your stuff. I’m looking at getting an e-bike (not till spring, since I’ve just calculated an eye-watering tax bill). The RadRunner 2 fits my bill for features and price; I’d be using it for lugging the shopping home from across town, and maybe the 20km or so up to Newry.

What I’m wondering is, does anyone here have experience with Rad Power Bikes in Ireland? Like, did you order from them? What was the experience like? How’s servicing? (Will they take one look at my local bike shop and send me on my way?) I’m trying to cover the bases for any potential needs, basically.

Last edited:
are you buying it via the cycle to work scheme?
i've never used a bike like that, not sure how comfortable it'd be over 20km.

it's possible your local bike shop may not want to service it; i know my LBS won't touch the fiido bikes except to repair punctures (he reckons they're junk, but they're half the price of the rad bike you mention).

i've never heard that suggested on the cycling forum on boards, interestingly. the main issue is stock levels at the moment; you buy your bike wherever they can actually get it. plus, what limits many people is whether their employer has limitations on where they can buy on the cycle to work scheme.
what sort of bike are you looking for?

i've never heard that suggested on the cycling forum on boards, interestingly. the main issue is stock levels at the moment; you buy your bike wherever they can actually get it. plus, what limits many people is whether their employer has limitations on where they can buy on the cycle to work scheme.
what sort of bike are you looking for?
More of a general enquiry for people I know that will be looking at bikes soon

And the lad looking for a bike for getting up to Newry too I suppose

Attachments

• IMG-20220825-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220825-WA0000.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 8
i misread the price on those van raam ones earlier - €4.6k ex vat which i thought 'yeah, figures, even a little cheaper than expected' and then realised that's for one without the electric motor. they're about €7.5k ex vat for the standard e-bike version; an option is available which allows you to split the wheelchair section off and use it as just a wheelchair.

what do you serious bike heads make of e-scooters?
Was out for a spin there recently moving at a reasonable clip and one just sailed past me weaving alternatively on road and pavement. seems like a recipe for a TBI, but perhaps thats just the centerist dad coming out.

the legislation governing e-scooters still hasn't been delivered, but IIRC scooters will be exempt from regulation and treated like bikes if they're not able to exceed 25km/h under their own steam.

i wouldn't like to hit a pothole on one of them with the small wheels.
if you look at the photos of it in action, they've got the center of gravity moved along the X axis until those little wheels are redundant while it's getting ridden. They only seems to come into play when you're getting in or out of the front seat thing.

what do you serious bike heads make of e-scooters?
Was out for a spin there recently moving at a reasonable clip and one just sailed past me weaving alternatively on road and pavement. seems like a recipe for a TBI, but perhaps thats just the centerist dad coming out.
I'd never want one

But don't really care about them beyond that

Let them fuck around and find out, I suppose

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back