Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

It's a pain trying to find bikes that fit tbh

I look at used bikes all the time

Like 90%+ are useless to me

It's discrimination really
Yeah. I think there's another mad tall cyclist on Thumped too.

I remember trying to fit tall lads in work. Invariably it ended up with swapped out stems and all kinds of messing.

there's a lad i pass occasionally, he's from out swords direction and i think he's 6'10".
he's got a bike with a double top tube.
Jaysis
Custom frame probably?

Like I got this bike in Berlin and it's a wee bit too small for me
That saddle post is doing too much work - I can feel the lack of rigidity when I'm riding
1658330051346.png

And this one

Look at the stem I had to get and it still wasn't totally comfortable

1658330194751.png

That saddle post is doing too much work - I can feel the lack of rigidity when I'm riding

The seat post on the single speed / red bike looks like it's past MAX. If it is, you should swap that out fairly lively.

The other bike re stiffness, you might have that one backwards.
That seat post, assuming it's not past the MAX mark, is really only going to flex to dampen vibes coming off the road, ie up down. If you're feeling flex you're probably feeling it when you are putting energy into the frame via pedaling. The general rule is the smaller the frame the stiffer (other things being equal).

I have occasionally noticed another feeling of flex when I come off a small, very stiff frame onto a larger trad steel frame and start really railing it into corners hard, I can feel the frame flexing laterally. Usually though the flex is when you're pedaling.

The seat post on the single speed / red bike looks like it's past MAX. If it is, you should swap that out fairly lively.

The other bike re stiffness, you might have that one backwards.
That seat post, assuming it's not past the MAX mark, is really only going to flex to dampen vibes coming off the road, ie up down. If you're feeling flex you're probably feeling it when you are putting energy into the frame via pedaling. The general rule is the smaller the frame the stiffer (other things being equal).

I have occasionally noticed another feeling of flex when I come off a small, very stiff frame onto a larger trad steel frame and start really railing it into corners hard, I can feel the frame flexing laterally. Usually though the flex is when you're pedaling.

In fairness, this is the bike I rode from Copenhagen to Berlin and it was fine
1658347687141.png

This is my current daily rider and I love it. This is perfect geometry for me.
1658347801240.png

But I dwarf it kinda

1658347891440.png

Also, I invented the bike seflie. yis can't have it.

managed to track down an annoying creak on the bike - already had the BB popped out and regreased by derek in humphries, which didn't fix it. i popped the chainrings off today, and greased the bolts and all contact surfaces and that sorted it. which is a relief, i was worried it could be the infamous ultegra crank failure.

Yeah. I think there's another mad tall cyclist on Thumped too.

I remember trying to fit tall lads in work. Invariably it ended up with swapped out stems and all kinds of messing.

I'm 6' 4"

But I don't cycle any more. I still have both bikes bundled up in the kitchen if anyone is interested.

When I went to the bike shop it was just "you're getting the biggest frame we have, and then we'll see". I never had a problem, but then I didn't know what I was doing. I actually used to get awful strain down my back on the rhs, just where the ribcage meets the spine. And the right collar bone area.

managed to track down an annoying creak on the bike - already had the BB popped out and regreased by derek in humphries, which didn't fix it. i popped the chainrings off today, and greased the bolts and all contact surfaces and that sorted it. which is a relief, i was worried it could be the infamous ultegra crank failure.
Derek is a great mechanic. I'm surprised he wasn't able to sort that for you.

i specifically went in to ask him to pop the BB out and grease it; i did mention the popping and creaking, but wouldn't expect him to do a full shakedown to find the source for the €20 he charged.

i had a laundry list of things i was expecting to have to go through; chainring bolts, headset, seatpost, grease the dropouts, had heard that even a slightly loose or dry derailleur hanger can cause it.
of course, the very first option i tried was the one i brought it to the bike shop for.

two of the lads on boards had near simultaneous ultegra crank failures; they were out for a ride together and one of them snapped the crank. while they were post morteming it, one of them mentioned his had been creaking a bit, so they looked at it and it turns out his was in the process of failing.
the first was an in-warranty R8000, but the second was 6800 IIRC; out of warranty but the distributor (madison) agreed to replace it with a new 105 crankset. took months to arrive, though.

Derek is a great mechanic. I'm surprised he wasn't able to sort that for you.
i once dropped the bike around to have the steerer tube cut; when i was picking it up afterwards, i mentioned that there was a creak on the bike i'd not been able to pin down; i'd greased the dropouts, seat post, eliminated anything i could. without missing a beat he said 'it's your saddle'. lifting the bike up onto the workstand, he'd copped that the saddle rails were creaking where they slot into the sockets at the rear of the saddle. he managed to find without even trying, something i'd been trying to find for a week or two.

i once dropped the bike around to have the steerer tube cut; when i was picking it up afterwards, i mentioned that there was a creak on the bike i'd not been able to pin down; i'd greased the dropouts, seat post, eliminated anything i could. without missing a beat he said 'it's your saddle'. lifting the bike up onto the workstand, he'd copped that the saddle rails were creaking where they slot into the sockets at the rear of the saddle. he managed to find without even trying, something i'd been trying to find for a week or two.
thats more like the Derek I remember. He'd let you watch him work and talk you through what he was doing too, which I thought was great. I used to bring my road bikes to him, even though hes all the way out the far side of the city. The cash-only thing was a pain in the hole, but I believe they've moved on from that since. Would also do you a great deal on shimano, BBB, or mavic, since he was the main importer of those brands into Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back