Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

I actually caught one of the bastards when it bit into my finger, definitely a mozzie. They swarmed me in Florence too, the fucks.
There were these lads in South America called Tabanos and mother of God... they'd just cut you open.
They had these bolt cutter yokes on their mouths, and you can see them cleaving you open. Utter bastards.

At a certain altitude they'd start getting dopey and slow, but they were still unmerciful bastards only in slow motion. I was with an Argentinian rock climber, and... like normally I don't condone violence to animals, but she'd pull the wings off these pricks and put them back down rather than kill them, and I didn't feel too bad about that.
So they'd be beetling around, trying to jump on you to wreak havoc, but you'd just flick them a few meters away or move and they'd have to start their long walking journey again.

edit: the pricks in question:
iu

go to osi.ie, follow the links to the mapviewer.
in the top left of the screen expand 'base information and mapping' and you can play with multiple layers - aerial premium really shows that bank up due to low sun; but there's also the 25" map which i screengrabbed above (finished around 1911 IIRC) and the 6" map (which predates the famine)
Tried going back to this site today, and it's asking for a uname and password. I can't remember if it did that last time, if I tell it Cancel, or close that dialogue it just spins forever. I'm not sure how you generate a user name.
Have they just blocked access to the public?

no, that's definitely new, i've been using that site for years and i've never seen that before. hopefully it's just undergoing maintenance?
OK, yeah I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I told a couple of people about the site too, it's a great resource, hopefully it'll be back.

on osi.ie:
"Forms on this website are experiencing a technical issue and we are working to resolve this. Please refrain from filling out any forms on the site until this notice is deleted."

So I've been doing extremely old man type "training" for the last months.

As in, basically not doing training at all. Or so I thought. I've been out every day (more or less) walking around the hills and rocky shore and headlands and crap. Low key aerobic easy stuff, with the occasional huffing and puffing up a short hill.

I didn't know if I was kidding myself, but as the months passed I thought I might have been getting fitter, just getting out every day and walking for a few hours. I did some crashy crashy action off the MTB, but kept up the walking, and, well I'm in shit shape, but I'm less shit shape than I was in February.

Doing easy days every day seems to be a lot better than nothing. And I'd argue better than going for runs for a few weeks and kind of stopping because it's a suffer fest.

my 'project' on the bike recently has been to 'complete' north county dublin. i've been on every single non-urban/suburban road in NCD west of the M1, and i'm making some progress getting the ones to the east of it. biggest gap is around lusk/skerries direction.

NCD.png

Tried going back to this site today, and it's asking for a uname and password. I can't remember if it did that last time, if I tell it Cancel, or close that dialogue it just spins forever. I'm not sure how you generate a user name.
Have they just blocked access to the public?
looks like it's back now. am occasionally getting a temporary 'service not available' flash on the screen, but that's just due to scrolling quicker than the data can load.

looks like it's back now. am occasionally getting a temporary 'service not available' flash on the screen, but that's just due to scrolling quicker than the data can load.
Yup, she's back. Had to reload the cache but I picked it up eventually.

This thing is unreal, I can pick out walks and tracks through fields and stuff by this house I'm hopefully moving to. You can work out the surface of the paths more or less. Crazy resolution on it... class.

Last edited:
Finally did the mayo greenway*.

Westport to newport isn't mindblowing but the rest is.
Added on a bit to go out to the edge of Achill Island which is lovely but also adding an hour or so of hillclimbing on the end.

*did little bits before

I'd love to go cycling... if I never had to fix punctures.
maybe I could pay my nephews to fix them? 10 euro a puncture would work out expensive

I have those schwalbe marathon tires on - I've about 6000km up on them now without a puncture and they are still in good nick. Fair bit of messing on tracks with that too. #recommend

I'd love to go cycling... if I never had to fix punctures.
maybe I could pay my nephews to fix them? 10 euro a puncture would work out expensive
Have you tried those tubeless tyres?

I've only had one puncture that didn't completely seal, but they sealed enough to get home. And that was taking the piss type terrain, off road / desert plus masses of dirty big cactus spines that got everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back