Jaysus cycling! (2 Viewers)

I think another point worth noting here that, had the collision been a split-second earlier, there would have potentially been multiple fatalities. Tonya was at the rear of the group, the outside rider in a 2-abreast formation. The guy who killed her would have ploughed through the entire ground had the timing been different.

shit, sorry to hear this. was the driver ever prosecuted?
thanks.

no, file was sent to the DPP, DPP said there was no case to answer, sent the case to the coroner's court (which, for some bizarre reason, also has a sworn in jury), where everyone's time was wasted, and the whole thing got buried.

don't they have to return whatever verdict the coroner tells them to?
i'll tell you the story if i ever get to meet you. not that it's particularly scandalous (by irish standards) but i was told it in a context where i wouldn't repeat it on a public forum.

don't they have to return whatever verdict the coroner tells them to?
they return a 'cause of death' - ie, accidental death, death by misadventure, etc.

That's what gets written on the death cert and until you get the death cert, you can't access the deceased's assets (though there are ways around this).

If the wrong thing is written on the death cert an insurance company can refuse to pay out on a life insurance policy.

The jury are not allowed to return a verdict as no one is on trial, per se.

As I said, a complete waste of time.

I sat in on a case before I was called to give evidence at my dad's. The other case was about some poor kid who jumped off a balcony in the ballymun flats while on ecstasy. I sat near the deceased's family and it was fairly evident they thought they were going to get someone to be held accountable for what happened. From the evidence I heard, it seemed the kid was badly bullied, had been in several fights in the time leading up to his death, and was clearly coerced into jumping off the balcony. I don't blame his family for being so angry about it. But they got nothing. The verdict in that case was 'death by misadventure', and that family were left with more questions than answers.

oh, the most hilarious thing about it is they also return recommendations. So in our case, there were recommendations about extra safety features that trucks should be equipped with.

Do you think anything was ever done about those recommendations? NOT.A.FUCKING.CHANCE.

my father was once on a jury in the coroner's court. jury selection is not exactly as rigorous a process as it is for a trial.

There was one fella I was working who got fucked off with getting repeatedly called up for jury duty. He told me his plan, which he swore by, about how to get out of it in the selection process. Just ask if the Jews are involved. Don't make any anti-Semitic comments (he was actually Jewish by birth), but inquire a number of times about how the Jews are implicated in this case.

He said he'd inject a half beat pause before he'd utter the phrase the Jews, from that point on he's been excused every selection.

anyone want to buy sean kelly's house?

Odd gaff. Some dubious decisions were made. It blows my mind how much people seem to love their sterile, manicured bits of lawn.

Kelly wrecked himself a while back in a crash, anyone know what sort of state he's in these days? I hope flogging the gaff isn't a reaction to that incident.

Ohhhhh. I did not know this. Oops.
apparently he's not (or was not) on speaking terms with his daughter.
if you watch GCN much you'll recognise the house; conor dunne, the lanky ex-pro, is his daughter's partner and filmed a few videos for GCN from the house. they featured a very deadpan nigel kelly, but the kelly name or connection was never mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back