Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

How is it considered to be better than regular lube?

As I understand it there's two types of lube: dry and wet.

They both go on wet, but the dry ones (which would include wax lubes) have a solvent which evaporates away leaving another component behind, a wax or some kind of coating like Teflon.

The idea is that if the lubricant isn't sticky it doesn't get as dirty, and it kind of works. I've tried various dry lubes, wet lubes, even chainsaw bar oil, and straight grease. With the wax ones you often have to really shake them up, and you can clearly see the wax suspended in the solvent. The annoying thing about them is they are fairly stanky when you put them on (solvent evaporating), and you should leave it overnight before you ride it. Another thing that people often don't do with dry lubes is the wiping off step. You need to apply it, work it into the chain, and then wipe it off (which feels like you're wasting it). Then I'd normally do another apply / wipe cycle.

The most important thing about chains is keeping them clean. Chains don't stretch, they wear. If you keep cleaning the chain it'll last longer because there's less muck grinding away inside them.

So for me, I'd define "best" as easiest to keep clean, and I'd say that the dry lubes are better. There's a few wax lubes that are bone dry, they look almost like a white film. They are kind of expensive and are stricter with the usual rigmarole about putting on. At the moment I'm using Finish Line Dry Teflon, (not a wax). The reason I like it is because even if I think I've cleaned out my chain, the solvent in the lube always finds more and pushes it out, then I catch this when I'm wiping the chain.
The wax can set up so dry it's almost difficult to shift it off when you need to clean it. The teflon one sets up more or less dry, and vanishes, you can feel it's slippery but there's no residue, and is very easy to move when you're cleaning.

Unless... are you talking about just getting candle wax, melting it down and lobbing the chain in?

That would cool. Never done that. It used to be talked about in races and stuff years ago. I never did it.

more water resistant and lasts longer, if you believe the hype.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

some people mix a bit of paraffin oil, and something volatile (like acetone, i guess) to make it into the sort of lube you can top up in a normal manner, rather than having to take the chain off and dunk it.

my usual chain routine has been very much exercised this winter with all the wet and the muck on the roads. i use muc off wet lube and dry lube - i only occasionally use the wet lube, it's kinda gloopy and doesn't wash off, but does tend to accumulate dirt. so maybe once in a while i'll top up with the wet lube, but once a week maybe, a quite miniscule top up with dry lube and a wipe.

The trainer at the workshop swears by it.

By paraffin wax? I kept hearing lads talking about it, but I've never seen it in the wild.

The GCN thing magicbastard posted up looks promising. I can imagine it being nice and clean alright. I like my bike quiet too though...

It looks like the sort of thing you'd do with a new chain? I can never get chains completely spotless once they've been used, there's always a bit of grit in the links no matter what I do. My mate used to have connections with US Postal, he said the mechanics used paintbrushes and stuff.

I can never get chains completely spotless once they've been used, there's always a bit of grit in the links no matter what I do. My mate used to have connections with US Postal, he said the mechanics used paintbrushes and stuff.
i dunk mine occasionally in a bath of white spirits, you should see the colour the white spirits turn after that. agitate a bit, leave for a day or two if possible, then use the gloopy muc off stuff to re-lube when dry.

Cycling advocacy group listed alongside extremist groups on counter-terror list
Critical Mass appear alongside extremist organisations in policing guidance - but top officers say listing is not sign of counter-terror interest
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9301516.html

the british police have really handled the recent climate change and XR protests badly compared to the gardai.

On another overnight mini tour. Bike/train combo to the West Midlands to look for bog zombies and drink pints.
IMG_3486.JPG

I'm calling this a bog zombie. This one went pretty good.

from athlone train you can get onto the backroads really quick which go parallel to the N55, this will take 2 hrs+, emerge at Tang (what a town name) and then at Ballymahon you can get onto the royal canal and go to Corlea which doesn't actually open to april (really should have checked this). Could probably be done day trip from Dublin/Galway by train. Also the option of the longford train and cycling south.

Royal Canal is closest to the Dutch style experience you are gonna a get in the Irelands.

View attachment 13467

I'm calling this a bog zombie. This one went pretty good.

from athlone train you can get onto the backroads really quick which go parallel to the N55, this will take 2 hrs+, emerge at Tang (what a town name) and then at Ballymahon you can get onto the royal canal and go to Corlea which doesn't actually open to april (really should have checked this). Could probably be done day trip from Dublin/Galway by train. Also the option of the longford train and cycling south.

Royal Canal is closest to the Dutch style experience you are gonna a get in the Irelands.
Really jealous

You are living your best life right now

I hereby retire my invisibility cloak

A study by researchers at Bath and Brunel universities has found that wearing hi-viz clothing while cycling doesn’t have a noticeable impact on the distance at which drivers pass cyclists by.

Some 269 cyclists rode bikes fitted with distance-detection devices and dressed in a range of cycling kit, including lycra cycling kit, a casual rider’s normal clothing and several types of high-vis vest.

The researchers found that the only item of clothing that had a noticeable impact on passing distance was a high-vis vest that featured the word “POLICE” on the back. Those riders were also bearing a notice advising motorists that they were being filmed. These conditions increased the average passing distance by 5cm, to 122cm.

Contrary to the researchers’ expectations, there was no marked difference between ‘experienced rider’ kit, and a vest marked ‘Novice Cyclist’, nor between ordinary clothes and hi-viz kit.

Irrespective of any of the kit worn, 1-2 per cent of overtakes were within 50cm, suggesting that nothing a rider wears makes any significant difference to the incidence of very close passes.

The researchers suggest that improvements to infrastructure are a more effective means of improving rider safety than changing clothing habits.

finally sold my old bike the other day. got slightly more than expected for it, and my guilt at selling it was alleviated by the buyer being clearly stoked at having bought it. even if he going to use it primarily for commuting, and it's not a commuting bike.

finally sold my old bike the other day. got slightly more than expected for it, and my guilt at selling it was alleviated by the buyer being clearly stoked at having bought it. even if he going to use it primarily for commuting, and it's not a commuting bike.
what was it?

I have an aero bike to offload cos I never use it. but it's so nice to look at, I'm finding it terribly difficult to bring myself to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back