Jaysus cycling! (7 Viewers)

making girls wear skirts is grossly sexist as well - i'm amazed so little is said about this.
it's typical of how society still treats children especially girls.
this must also put girls off cycling to school.

bike racing again:
cycling world champs are in Harrogate this week with the Women's road race on today.
this week has been blighted by crashes in very wet weather.
the various courses are being used but they have all been a bit dangerous.

Where's the best place in Dublin city centre for getting bike gear?

Cycle Ways closed!
World is rocked

Ormond Quay shop is closed or the old one on Parnell Street? Funked up at the bottom of Francis Street have some bits. Other than them you're probably looking at Wexford Street or Rathmines.

They moved abut six months ago I think. Only noticed as I passed the shop on the quays a few times.

i once maintained 48km/h, for a kilometre, with a very stiff tailwind. i think that the only time i've managed it on the flat, that's some savage pace you set.
Well... to be fair, I did exactly one pull on the front, and then sat in behind a French team with my pulse pinned at around 190bpm, waiting to crack from that point on. Once I did kinda crack, and a lad dropped off the back and told me I was a prick if I didn't immediately get back on his wheel and stay in the group. Pissed off, shouting at me. Do it. There! stay *there*.

But yeah, it was really quick. The line the French lads took was often right on the barriers too. So 50+km/h in parts, people are leaning over the barriers, you're brushing their newspapers and things, about 2 cms off the wheel in front of you.

In hindsight I was thinking jesus that was all a bit dangerous and very tight. At the time I was thinking get tighter on that wheel.

Lads were laughing at me afterwards, I was clearly too young to be in that group, but I got a signed jersey which was cool.

Cycling hive mind - one of my wheel spokes has snapped out of place. I stuck it back in but it pinged itself out again. Can I glue it in? What kind of glue?

It has to screw into a little thing.

Also your wheel is probably bent now because they are like little suspension bridges in terms of keeping their shape.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When spokes start to go it's not a great sign for the wheel.

The lad in the shop will usually have to pull of the tyre and the rim tape to get at the nipple (the little thing the spoke screws into). If it's a rear wheel on the drive side he's going to have to also pull off the cogs. Then they can push in a new spoke and true up the wheel, unless the nipples are seized. (Which... basically they are, then you have to work around the seized ones.) Like ann post said, spokes are all tightened off each other. Once one comes out of wack it's not impossible that it broke another spoke.

I suppose this is me preparing you for worst case scenario: you might need a new wheel. But you might be grand, and get a new spoke popped in no bother. Problem is, once I get to that point the wheel is pretty much knackered. I've a box of spokes, and I try to fix them up, but it's not always successful. The store aren't necessarily talking shite if they talk about a new wheel.

my experience was that i popped two spokes a month or two apart, but after the second one, brought the wheel around to the same place and just had it rebuilt with new spokes - no problems after that, i think the spokes were fatigued. they charged €30 for the rebuild. so i probably got lucky.

my experience was that i popped two spokes a month or two apart, but after the second one, brought the wheel around to the same place and just had it rebuilt with new spokes - no problems after that, i think the spokes were fatigued. they charged €30 for the rebuild. so i probably got lucky.

30 Euro for a set of spokes and a wheel build?
I think we charged more than that, in the 90s.

A box of 100 DT Swiss spokes was something like 50 Euro, I forget what we charged for 36, that plus rim tape, plus an hour labour for a build.

30 euro was sound.

Yup, it's actually snapped now, gotta bring it to the bike shop (in fairness my bike is about 12 years old and this is the first time I've had to get anything done to it other than a service)

Definitely a luck based
I think we charged more than that, in the 90s.

A box of 100 DT Swiss spokes was something like 50 Euro, I forget what we charged for 36, that plus rim tape, plus an hour labour for a build.

30 euro was sound.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't name a price for it because its too unpredictable in terms of staff time.

30 euro was sound.
yep, humphries in finglas. they seem to have a €15 stamp on most basic service tasks - €15 to replace a BB recently. to be fair, i had a spare press fit ultegra, and derek supplied and fitted an english thread 105 for that €15 and the ultegra one, so he did a little bit better than usual, i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
  • M
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back