Jaysus cycling! (4 Viewers)

I wear a high viz vest because as a driver I know how hard it can be to see cyclists.
i wear bright cycling tops (as opposed to 'hi vis vests') because a) when i'm buying them, it's as easy to buy a bright one as a dark one, and b) i'm not going to give a driver an 'i didn't see you' excuse even when hi-vis would be completely moot.

a mate of mine had his beloved hardtail stolen recently, so i stuck it up on the stolen bikes thread on boards.ie.
24 hours later, someone there spotted it for sale on adverts.ie, and 24 hours after that, my friend was out on a garda sting operation and got his bike back. a result no-one was expecting.

Started cycling to work 2 - 3 days a week (20/30/40km round trip depending on whether I jump on a train midway or not). Signed up to strava to track my times so I could see exactly what time I can stay in bed till. Gonna be in the top ten distance cyclists in the county by the weekend. Guessing that the Deliveroo people don't use strava.

Started cycling to work 2 - 3 days a week (20/30/40km round trip depending on whether I jump on a train midway or not). Signed up to strava to track my times so I could see exactly what time I can stay in bed till. Gonna be in the top ten distance cyclists in the county by the weekend. Guessing that the Deliveroo people don't use strava.
People their activities on other apps too. It's a shame they don't all consolidate. Lifelog is another one I can think of. Strava is a big one for the cyclists though.

People their activities on other apps too. It's a shame they don't all consolidate. Lifelog is another one I can think of. Strava is a big one for the cyclists though.

I'm certain loads of people don't bother at all, though i've spent my life out of the loop so i've no idea what average cycling obsessives are doing. The peak person there did 400km this week, I assume they were doing some major event. I fully suspect i'll delete the app in the few weeks, but not before I get a screen grab of being in the top ten 4 days after joining the club. The average speed is essentially what I'm there for.

I'm certain loads of people don't bother at all, though i've spent my life out of the loop so i've no idea what average cycling obsessives are doing. The peak person there did 400km this week, I assume they were doing some major event. I fully suspect i'll delete the app in the few weeks, but not before I get a screen grab of being in the top ten 4 days after joining the club. The average speed is essentially what I'm there for.
a lot of people leave their stuff private too cos of some scare stories going around that bike thieves were using strava to track people's rides to their houses, then break in and take the bikes.

I haven't heard of it happening in Ireland. It has happened in the UK, apparently.

a lot of people leave their stuff private too cos of some scare stories going around that bike thieves were using strava to track people's rides to their houses, then break in and take the bikes.

I haven't heard of it happening in Ireland. It has happened in the UK, apparently.

Interesting. Might setup my account with some kind of bike that isn't worth the drive out to steal.

You can set Strava so it doesn't display any data within a mile of your house. So if you cycle to/from home, that part of the journey won't be displayed on your Strava profile.

Was doing about 4-500 Km a week as a courier plus weekend rides on top of that. Now I'd be lucky to do 20-30km a week.

i keep meaning to mark my rides as private by default on strava. i'm sure my friends don't need to see my commutes.

managed to mash my shin off the pedal this morning by putting the power on before i was fully clipped in. that was embarrassing.

I'm finding the whole segments thing interesting (this will probably wear off soon). Seems there's about 6 people on the same route as me every day, the fastest guy is averaging my top speed. Rabbit hole has been found. Immediately tempted to bring the road bike some day next week and see if I can even get within a shout

is it a suburban route? traffic lights and junctions means your time varies quite a bit. and don't forget strava will remove time stopped for your average speed for the whole trip, but time stopped *is* counted for segments.

It's nearly all open road. There's one t~junction to watch otherwise not much to be looking for. There aren't even any worthwhile hills on it. People are pulling about 6.30 on it, I'm in above 8.00 without really pushing and was mostly messing for the last km. Competition record is 5.30ish but that's rolling straight in off a roundabout so you'd be at pace from the outset. Sorta fascinating how a bit of data can effect my opinion of a road.

It's nearly all open road. There's one t~junction to watch otherwise not much to be looking for. There aren't even any worthwhile hills on it. People are pulling about 6.30 on it, I'm in above 8.00 without really pushing and was mostly messing for the last km. Competition record is 5.30ish but that's rolling straight in off a roundabout so you'd be at pace from the outset. Sorta fascinating how a bit of data can effect my opinion of a road.
ah; i'm doing fom beside DCU to leopardstown so it's much more stop-starty than you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back