Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

As far as i know, under law (i could be way off here so...) i think the hierarchy of the road goes, from top to bottom:

Pedestrian
Cyclist
Motorbike/car

In other words if you injure a pedestrian in any vehicular (including bike) even tho they stepped out in front of you without warning you should be able to stop and are therefore liable. Same goes for car hitting bike even it the cyclist was being a fuckwit. The way to stop pedestrians is make J walking illegal. Unfortunitly it is not the case in Ireland. Fuckwit cyclist is just education on rules of the road maybe?

In other words if you injure a pedestrian in any vehicular (including bike) even tho they stepped out in front of you without warning you should be able to stop and are therefore liable.
i don't think this applies in ireland, and i don't think it applies in this way in countries where it does apply.
it presumes a burden of responsibility for safe conduct, not an automatic guilty verdict in an incident.

i.e. if a cyclist is being a fuckwit and causes an accident with a car, the accident is the cyclist's fault.

I was stopped by a cop on my way home and asked to participate in that 'sit in a truck and see how the driver can't see you' thing they're doing. I declined. I don't see the good it will do. They should be training people driving trucks to look out for cyclists, not the other way around.

still took the free hi-viz though.

I was stopped by a cop on my way home and asked to participate in that 'sit in a truck and see how the driver can't see you' thing they're doing. I declined. I don't see the good it will do. They should be training people driving trucks to look out for cyclists, not the other way around.

It's not possible to see everything from a truck cab. There are blind spots on trucks, a truck driver would have to have a banksman or all round cameras to know whats going on when turning a corner.

NOONE should go up the inside of a large vehicle, particularly an articulated lorry. But you see people doing it all the time. Usually wearing helmets, like the helmet will save you. You mong.

On left turning trucks, I know a guy who cycled up the inside of a left turning truck and was knocked off. He ended up rolling under the truck and positioned himself so he was in between the wheels as it passed over him. When the truck was clear and he stood up there were people screaming and crying.

Lucky fukker.

On the North Quays I regularly see people ride up the inside of already indicating and turning buses and then start banging the bus as if its the bus drivers fault that they've ended up there.

I've had trucks and busses pass me on the right to turn left when I'm already too close to the corner to do anything other than hop onto the curb.

i've driven a truck a few times. cop on cyclists. you cant see shit from those things. i've a good friend who drives full time, his catchphrase is 'you have two types of accident in a truck, the kind where you kill someone and the kind where you die'.

i think on this thread i've said this before, but a rear view mirror in a bus/truck is smaller that your laptop screen and the driver can not hear you, and may only you within the lenght of his truck, so long as its parked straight. the headlights are not the eyes.

It's not possible to see everything from a truck cab. There are blind spots on trucks, a truck driver would have to have a banksman or all round cameras to know whats going on when turning a corner.

NOONE should go up the inside of a large vehicle, particularly an articulated lorry. But you see people doing it all the time. Usually wearing helmets, like the helmet will save you. You mong.

you really think that was the message they were trying to deliver?

didn't seem so to me. Seemed to me they were telling cyclists not to go within an asses roar of a truck and if you do, and something happens, its your own fault.

The onus is on the truck driver, not the cyclist. Though that doesn't excuse stupidity by the cyclist.

I had an incident there recently where I was coming in the N81 on the road bike. There was a line of traffic just before the turn off to the left to citywest. There was lorry about 4 back in the line, not indicating left. There was good passing space on the left, so naturally I assumed he wasn't turning. I was alongside him just as I was coming to the slip to the left, and I sensed him turning left. I hopped up onto the little traffic island there quick smart, stopped the bike, and fucked the cunt out of it. If I had my way he'd never be allowed drive that thing again. As it is, he'll be back in it and will probably kill someone on a bike sometime soon.

i think on this thread i've said this before, but a rear view mirror in a bus/truck is smaller that your laptop screen

see the problem I have with this is that, at every inquest where a cyclist dies in an incident involving a truck (and trust me, I know what I'm talking about here), there will always be a recommendation delivered by the jury that additional mirrors to increase the driver's visibility should be added to every truck that needs them. And what happens with this recommendation. Absolutely cunt all.

a lot of bus eireanns and stuff have them now. 3 on each side left and right (rear, read mid and below door view) and one in a sort of eyebrow position above the window screen. so if the driver can keep his eye on 7 mirrors and look forward driving a 20-55 tonne truck witha 16 speed gearboc in a city centre then i see your point.

you really think that was the message they were trying to deliver?

didn't seem so to me. Seemed to me they were telling cyclists not to go within an asses roar of a truck and if you do, and something happens, its your own fault.

The onus is on the truck driver, not the cyclist. Though that doesn't excuse stupidity by the cyclist.

I had an incident there recently where I was coming in the N81 on the road bike. There was a line of traffic just before the turn off to the left to citywest. There was lorry about 4 back in the line, not indicating left. There was good passing space on the left, so naturally I assumed he wasn't turning. I was alongside him just as I was coming to the slip to the left, and I sensed him turning left. I hopped up onto the little traffic island there quick smart, stopped the bike, and fucked the cunt out of it. If I had my way he'd never be allowed drive that thing again. As it is, he'll be back in it and will probably kill someone on a bike sometime soon.

I'm not saying truck drivers should be absolved of blame and that its entirely the cyclists fault. I also have a problem with the RSA and the Gardai with their pro car, helmet and hi-viz agenda (I refuse to wear a helmet or hi-viz). But one of the the biggest killers of cyclists in English cities is left turning vehicles, particularly female cyclists. I presume it is similar here.

I think cyclists should see it from the truck driver's point of view AND vice versa. And you should be made to cycle around the centre of a town/city as a requisite for passing a driving test. But there are spots around a truck where no amount of looking from the driver or hi-viz and lights on the cyclist will make you visible to the truck driver.

I'm not saying truck drivers should be absolved of blame and that its entirely the cyclists fault. I also have a problem with the RSA and the Gardai with their pro car, helmet and hi-viz agenda (I refuse to wear a helmet or hi-viz). But one of the the biggest killers of cyclists in English cities is left turning vehicles, particularly female cyclists. I presume it is similar here.

I think cyclists should see it from the truck driver's point of view AND vice versa. And you should be made to cycle around the centre of a town/city as a requisite for passing a driving test. But there are spots around a truck where no amount of looking from the driver or hi-viz and lights on the cyclist will make you visible to the truck driver.

That makes a lot of sense and I couldn't agree more.

see the problem I have with this is that, at every inquest where a cyclist dies in an incident involving a truck (and trust me, I know what I'm talking about here), there will always be a recommendation delivered by the jury that additional mirrors to increase the driver's visibility should be added to every truck that needs them. And what happens with this recommendation. Absolutely cunt all.
there was a discussion between an RTE news presenter and one of the government ministers about this a few years ago. it went along these lines:
minister: the legislation is already there that new trucks require blind spot mirrors.
presenter: but what about retrofitting existing trucks?
m: we have legislation which will make these mandatory on all trucks from 2013 (not sure of date).
p: but why not make them mandatory now? they only cost €40.
m: but we have legislation which will do this.
p: in 2013?
m: yes
p: why not now?
m: but we have legislation...

why?
if a car driver was involved in an accident at night because he didn't have rear lights on, you'd curse him for his stupidity.

I always wear both a hi-viz and a helmet. I think the hi-viz should be worn by all. On helmets, I'm aware of a discussion taking place that goes something along the lines of, if you wear a helmet a motorist will be more likely to take a chance to do something, even if theres a potential risk to a cyclist. If the cyclist isn't wearing the helmet they'd be less likely to take that chance.

I have no interest in getting involved in that discussion because I am more than happy to wear a helmet. And, I can say that if I didn't wear one I'd probably be dead now. Or at least badly brain damaged.

i.e. if a cyclist is being a fuckwit and causes an accident with a car, the accident is the cyclist's fault.

This is true. I knew a cyclist who ran a red light and crashed into a car. As it was his fault, he had to pay for the damages. As he didn't have insurance for traffic accidents, he had to pay your man a grand.

On the other points being made. I always assume that everybody is an absolute moron and is going to do the stupidest thing on earth at any given point. Seems to work pretty well. My aim is to never be surprised by anything.

I always wear a helmet. Keeps my head warm and puts me in the 'zone'. I know a few people that wouldn't be here without one and 2 people that would be a lot less permanently brain damaged if they'd had one on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back