Japan (1 Viewer)

Get a JR Railpass and travel about a bit. Aim for April for cherry blossom stuff in Kansai.

If anyone has any updated recommendations for anything to do in Japan then they'd be much appreciated. I'm going in October for two weeks. I have zero interest in going to any rugby even though Ireland will probably be playing in Tokyo when I'm there.

No solid plans apart from flying into Tokyo, going to two or three pro-wrestling shows and spending a final night there before flying home on 1 Nov.

Things I like: beer, gigs, Nintendo, football (I know there's a shop that has a mad range of vintage jerseys), non-meaty food.

I went to Tokyo last year and it was the best time of my life, I had such a good time. There's SO much to do in Tokyo, so it really depends what you're into. You're vegan? I have a big spreadsheet of vegan eats in Tokyo I'll dig up for you, because vegan food is available, but even for vegetarian you need some advance planning as you can't really just wander into any ramen place and expect not to get daishi in your soup... will come back to this with all my recs.

One of the coolest, most unexpected things i did was catch a toshiji mikawa show in a tiny noise venue in Shinjuku. I can't remember the name of the place... damn this post is useless and has no info, apologies.

If anyone has any updated recommendations for anything to do in Japan then they'd be much appreciated. I'm going in October for two weeks. I have zero interest in going to any rugby even though Ireland will probably be playing in Tokyo when I'm there.

No solid plans apart from flying into Tokyo, going to two or three pro-wrestling shows and spending a final night there before flying home on 1 Nov.

Things I like: beer, gigs, Nintendo, football (I know there's a shop that has a mad range of vintage jerseys), non-meaty food.
I was there in December for 2 weeks. I pretty much stayed around Tokyo and environs; headed out to Kamakura and Enoshima Island for the last few days just to get a break from the madness of Tokyo.
Don't know if you're into sightseeing and just generally traipsing around, but if so, here's some of the stuff I did -
Yokohama
Minato Mirai
Yamashita Park
Chinatown
Imperial Gardens
If you like record shopping, head to Shibuya - there are plenty of local cool record shops in the area as well as the largest Tower Records anywhere in the world. Shibuya is also very cool at night - it's famous for it's crosswalks which are cool to view from above the street.
Ueno Park - There's an art museum there which usually has good exhibitions on
Shinjuku - Also good to visit at night
Meji Shingu Shrine
Harajuku - This is a cool funky little district; known for Okonomaki - which is basically a dish you cook yourself at your table; you're given all the ingredients and instructions; it's good fun, especially if there's two or more of you.
Ginza - This area has the Kabuki Theatre if you fancy a little local culture
Roppongi - fairly commercial high end area which has lots of shopping malls; Fuji Square and the MORI Art Museum
Fujisawa - not much here but ok for an afternoon to browse around
With two weeks you'd have time to hop on the train and head to Osaka and/or Kyoto if you wished; I didn't so can't advise on them.
I'm vegetarian, and found it hard to find non-meaty food; but look out for Indian restaurants where you'll get great non-meat dishes and great deals
There are local chains too which do Tempura and Noodle menu's, a little reseach when you're there will point you in the right direction
I found it handy to get a Japan only SIM for my phone so I could use it there to access Google etc; we would have been lost without it.
Tokyo is an amazing city though and you'll have a great time.
They were doing a lot of work on improving signage in subways and other public places in advance of the Rugby shite, so it's easy to navigate the subway and there are English-speaking transport employees around the stations if you get stuck.

Cool. Thanks both! @jonah that spreadsheet would be amazing. I'll eat fish but am trying to cut it out as much as possible.

@travispickle nice one. I forgot there'd be a push on to make the place even more traveller friendly for the rugby. Hopefully the fans aren't too much of a buzzkill. I'll watch a match on tv like but I have zero emotional attachment to the team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back