jam jars (1 Viewer)

Diddles

I'm going to make some jam but have no lids for the jars (I'm just using baby food jars, the lids were thrown in the bin before I thought about it). Can I just lash cling film or something on them? I'm not planning on keeping them for a year or anything, I'll probably be giving most of it to people, so I suppose they only need to keep for a couple of months.

The internets is crap for jam help :(

A wee circle of wax paper or parchment on the surface of the jam itself, and then a couple of layers of clingfilm over the top. It'll be grand if you don't want to keep it too long, but you're missing out on the joys of getting the vacuum in the jar when it all cools.

first money i ever made was in the jam business. i collected a hoor load of blackberries and cooked up a batch of jam, jarred it and sold it to neighbours for a quid a jar or sumthing. with my new found wealth i bought a bouncy ball, some sweets and comics.

Waxed paper and a bit of clingfilm would do fine. If you put it on them while the jam is still hot, it'll make an air-tight seal anyway.

it's one of those shops around the top of grafton street that sells stuff like blowtorches for caramelising the top of your creme brulee and shit like that isn't it? i thought they all went bust

Stock is across from the back of Stephen's Green shopping centre. It was still there the last time i was up that direction.

You'll also get discs of wax paper in any Londis, Supervalu or Dunnes that has any kind of decent home baking section. I cut them out of a sheet meself, but they're never as properly round.

I plan on getting my hands on this sweet baby at the end of August.
Blackberry picking season is coming up. I managed to fill fourteen bags of blackberries last year in just one hour (on the bushes outside my house).
Going up to Hengistbury Head this time and will hopefully quadruple that number.
Then there will be strawberry picking.

My house will become Jam-a-lot.

Here, Billy, how is that yoke better than the pot on the stove?
The thermometer yoke on the side there? I'm anti gadgets but pro jam and marmalade.
Its a tricky line to walk at times. If its just the thermometer I'm not sold.

Stick your jam jars into the oven at ~110C and take them out just before you pour the jam into them.

Otherwise there'll be bits of glass all over the shop.

Also, be really careful when you are pouring out the jam. It can get unmercifully hot, splatter about the place, and burn the living shit out of your forearms etc.

As they say, Happy jamming is safe jamming!

Here, Billy, how is that yoke better than the pot on the stove?
The thermometer yoke on the side there? I'm anti gadgets but pro jam and marmalade.
Its a tricky line to walk at times. If its just the thermometer I'm not sold.

Stick your jam jars into the oven at ~110C and take them out just before you pour the jam into them.

Otherwise there'll be bits of glass all over the shop.

Also, be really careful when you are pouring out the jam. It can get unmercifully hot, splatter about the place, and burn the living shit out of your forearms etc.

As they say, Happy jamming is safe jamming!

It's better because it will let me make reduced-sugar jam. And Jo's dad is a diabetic.

Didn't know you were pro-Jam. I distinctly remember you taking part in, nay, organising, an anti-Jam march.

I have about 800g of gooseberries and about the same in blackcurrants/raspberries. How much jam would I end up getting out of these do yis reckon? I don't think I need pectin for either just the same weight in sugar I think.

Also for the blackcurrants, do I have to try and get the brown bits of the end of the berries or will that disintegrate.

Whereabouts can you go blackberry picking (other than the vodafone store) in Dublin these days? All the places where they used to grow in Swords are now housing estates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back