J. G. Ballard R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter BC
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 2
Sad news this. Definitely an interesting character. He wrote some crackin' books.

I've read mostly only his early stuff. First one I read was the Drowned World, as it was one of those Gollancz SF classics. Pretty interesting/surreal book about genetic memory. After that I read The Crystal World which is a really lyrical novel set in Africa. Recalls Conrad (to me at least). Then Drought, an interesting read. Probably the best novel by him I've read is High Rise, about the dwellers of an exclusive London apartment block reverting to primitivism. I tried the Atrocity Exhibition, but it's not much fun to read imho. The Day Of Creation is pretty great - again set in Africa, dealing with a the sprouting of a new river against the backdrop of guerilla warfare and military despots. I wasn't mad about Super Cannes, or Rushing To Paradise. I have the Unlimited Dream Company lined up to read. Must try Crash and the Empire of Ze Sun and one or two others.

I tried adding him to my myspace site, but there's an automatic message saying that he doesn't accept friend requests from musicians.

must look into the stuff i've not read...
some one had to DIE before you looked into stuff you hadn't read? that's what's wrong with this fucking country. it's like heysel all over again.

Apart from the amazing books, he'll live forever as the voice sampled at the start of 'Mausoleum' on 'The Holy Bible'

"the atrocity exhibition" is my favourite, if you liked "crash" you'll enjoy it, as long as you don't expect a linear narrative. it's very funny in a very scathing way. the annotated edition is absolutely essential, his additional comments and explainations are very insightful and agreeable, oftentimes more interesting than the main text.

alongside "the assassination of john fitzgerald kennedy considered as a downhill motor race" and texts lifted from plastic surgeons describing operations in medical detail but with the original patients names replaced with those of queen elizabeth and princess margaret, there's a story collected in it called "why i want to fuck ronald reagan" (he goes into detail about why reagan's nose reminds him of an erect penis). ballard was charged with obscenity and asked to defend it in court, he refused saying "it was meant to be obscene". respect.

It's horrible to hear. I know someone who was trying to get an interview with him for a thesis... fantastic chap.

Looking forward to this. Great book and just the right man to do it.
HIGH-RISE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back