It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (4 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

:1:35 is particularly odd

The psychedelic furs - Pretty in pink (1981)

I'm guessing Richard Butler was a fan of David Bowie.

#liveversionsofsongs

I love this live version. It really shows the cleverness of the arrangement and how cool Robert Palmer was

The stranglers - Strange little girl (1982)

Theres something about early 80s Stranglers that just kinda sounds like a daydream to me.
I was a full time daydreamer as a kid and this reminds me of those days. Staring out the window.

Most of my time in school was spent staring out the window. I can remember it vividly. And this song reminds me of it.

#liveversionsofsongs

I love this live version. It really shows the cleverness of the arrangement and how cool Robert Palmer was

This is awesome

I used to think that first Martha & the Muffins album was really weak, now I think it's incredibly strong, great vibes start to finish.

In the early days of YouTube (circa December 2005 onwards) I started looking up videos of HC, grindcore, noise etc. artists that I had previously never seen even a colour photo of.
Seeing camcorder footage of bands playing in a corner of a room, with no stage, got boring surprisingly quickly so I migrated to my other big music interest - post punk. Much better visuals there.
Sometimes in 2006 I'd look for stuff and there would be nothing for months on end (e.g. BIG BLACK).

Apart from their TOTP appearances this was the first ASSOCIATES clip that emerged (it wasn't really the done thing to post audio clips on YouTube until 2009).
Here Billy MacKenzie and the 1985 line up (WITHOUT Alan Rankine or Michael Dempsey or Martha Ladly or John Murphy) were supporting ABC and CULTURE CLUB at Yokohama Baseball Stadium.
There was torrential rain as they caught the tail end a storm (typhoon??).
Despite not being the classic line up, they do a amazing version of A Matter Of Gender and Billy could move!

best comment:
''The rain makes it look more like Tannadice than Yokohama!''

Theres something about early 80s Stranglers that just kinda sounds like a daydream to me.
I was a full time daydreamer as a kid and this reminds me of those days. Staring out the window.

Most of my time in school was spent staring out the window. I can remember it vividly. And this song reminds me of it.
Strange Little Girl was apparently the first song The Stranglers wrote in 1974 but it never was never released until 1982

I'm not a huge fan or anything but the Stranglers are well underrated in my opinion; they really artistically represent some really nasty bits of maleness, but it is done artistically! It's valid, like. No one would be willing to write those kinds of songs nowadays.

I saw someone describe Peaches as like a Doors song if the Doors were clever enough to realize how stupid they were, sounds about right.

Saw them once at a festival and my main takeaway was how much better players they were than everyone else.

Anyway, speaking of men writing about their problems, he's 12+ minutes of fucking glory from Dexys. That drummer is unexpectedly dressed.

Great dancing

Anyway, speaking of men writing about their problems, he's 12+ minutes of fucking glory from Dexys. That drummer is unexpectedly dressed.

Great dancing

This is EXTRAORDINARY!

Thanks for posting man! Amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back