It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (4 Viewers)

Kids pop in 1988 = SAW stable, Whitney, Tiffany, Phil Collins etc. Madonna had a quiet year if I remember correctly but I could never stand her.

Doctrin' The TARDIS was a cool though.

My take on all that

I reckon I would have had no time for Madonna if I was a bit older, and certainly she can be blamed for loads of amazing stuff being canned because she was crowned the winner of pop. But, with those caveats, all her albums through the 80s and 90s are solid, and in retrospect she was pretty cool at a few points. But yeah, looks like Spotlight was her only single in 1988, cool song all the same.

Tiffany is fluff and is remembered purely as a phenomenon with one song, so whatever yiz were saying about her back then was clearly correct!

I don't know my Whitney tbh, her big hits have aged pretty well, overshadowed a bit by her tragedy.

and Phil Collins in 1988, looks like a quiet year for him as well. I know the hip hop guys love his production work in general but I find it hard to get excited about purely technical achievements.

SAW have a few decent bits, Spin Me Around, Respectable and a few more, but they clearly did not give a fuck about music, and despised the people who listened to it, and were just counting the cash. It's actually a real shame because their production is bloody bonkers. People get very excited about hyper pop now and it's not a million miles from SAW, except in sales.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Gimme that synth sound. Out-Zapping Zapp.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

82 version only!

Some classic Operation Yewtree adjacent moments in there! Not by the band at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back