It's the Friday 80s Pop song thread (5 Viewers)

Sam Fox, turning big ________ into big hits. Brenden Kilkenny on lead guitar.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

there's a band called BIRDFLESH whose song Night of The Ultimate Mosh was about going to a Samantha Fox concert.
also she sang on stage with HAWKWIND and her partner who passed away with cancer was in GIRLSCHOOL.

Is this them palying their hit Anal Misery?

Is this them palying their hit Anal Misery?

yes this is indeed Swedish band BIRDFLESH playing at the world's biggest grindcore festival in Czech.
very good fun live band. for some reason a lot of people in the crowd at Obscene Extreme dress up in silly fancy dress outfits ...and so do some of the bands.

I FUCKING LOVE THIS SONG

IT'S FROM 1990 THOUGH!

COCTEAU TWINS - Pearly Dewdrops Drop (1984)

the first LP is their best in my humble opinion (most post punk sounding) the rest are a bit too euphoric for me. my fave Liz Fraser haircut was her mohawk circa 1982

Have you met Louise? I reckon Jarvis Cocker burnt this out in his shitty bedsit. Sheffield. Oakley is the king of fuckin' pop.

I also snapped up one of their mid 90s cds in a three for 1 eu charity shop deal.

Bought Crash, the album after Hysteria from the same place... looking forward to giving it a listen blind.

And also bought Winston Tong's Theoretically Chinese secondhand for twelve bucks - figured it was worth a punt seeing as this is the bloke from Tuxedomoon and was produced by Alan Rankine of The Associates. Rankine plays synths and guitar, and Jah Wobble plays bass. It's really really good on the first few listens. Kudos to Rankine [ Just realised Rankine has three solo albums from the late 80s...] Moody portrait of Tong on the sleeve. No brainer.

Love it when 80s popstars are conspicuously influenced by Samuel Beckett. Can't see Beckett being a big fan of gorgeous pop music saxophones and singalong choruses though... more of a Merzbow kid followed by Killer Bug all-out whiteouts through the blackless nights, I reckon.

Here's Tuxedomoon for reference.

Clattering goth post-punk classic.

so did the GANG OF FOUR drummer apparently ?
the sturdily named Hugo Burnham. I think he was a rugby player in uni, or did I misremember that from Rip It Up & Start Up Again? A name built for rugby: collar up, all dirty tackles and personal comments in the scrum.

Post-Gang of Four... All I can think of is Dave Allen, the bass player's band, Shriekback. Their album Care is sadly a little overlooked in the post-punk canon.

Not sure if it fits in a thread about 80s pop...

so did the GANG OF FOUR drummer apparently ?
interview w/ Hugo Burnham
good info about his background (Dave Allen was the only remotely working class person in Go4) confirms being a drummer with Sam Fox (she and her father were good to him but he was her manager she later sued him and got large damages) and being a long time A&R man after until the GANG reformed...
just learned his brother Jolyon was a band manager who worked with Cope and the 4 of Us !
Amoeba Records shops 'What's In My Bag' segment on you tube featured Hugo a while back.

I've never really figured out SHRIEKBACK - their early material has some good songs. but their later stuff on Arista has some gruesome stuff. but I have to point out I've only heard 8 or 10 of their songs.

Alan Rankine's 80's solo stuff I've only heard bit and pieces of inc his full first LP for Crepuscule which could have been really good but as the 80's progressed studio production got really bland and it ruined so many records.
unfortunately IMO Alan like Billy couldn't get close to recapturing Sulk etc.

I like early TUXEDOMOON but have fairly little of their stuff. they do a great cover of I Heard It Through The Grapevine I posted in a covers thread here. they moved to Europe in the early 80's and also recorded for a few Belgian labels - Crepuscule, Crammed etc.
while I remember LTM reissuing some of Tong's stuff I am only hearing it now and surprised how poppy it is and didn't know Rankine was involved but must give the full LP a listen.

anyway keep the suggestions coming please.

oh and The Human League -
the Hysteria album is really good but Crash is the one with Human produced by Jimmy Jam right?
I couldn't ever make it through that one. that was my cut off point.
hey even Cabaret Voltaire made bad records

but basically I love the late 70's early 80's. but I find the mid 80's very problematic especially (over)production wise.

speaking of TUXEDOMOON here's a downbeat pop song from the mid 80's I didn't know there was a video for

Fuckin' Go continuing his campaign of Clash hatred disliking my post there, I won't forget that!

Anyway, the Jam/Lewis Human League album Crash is really good if only to see my two favourite kinds of pop music (the ultra professional can play anything and dance at the same time US pop music/ the "he's in the band cos he's our mate" two-fingered keyboard riff very regional Brit pop) rub up against each other. Jam & Lewis always risk being a bit dull and sterile imho but when it works they're great.

That Style Council album that goes full on Jam & Lewis is underrated as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back