• Start date
  • Replies 23
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 3

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
So,now that I have my acoustic happily sorted..next on the list is a Les Paul Junior!

Well by LPJ I mean some yoke with a p90 on it..I've never had a guitar with one,I never even heard of them until a year or two ago tbh and boy I reckon they sound super fucking gnarly..especially through the marshall.

currently in the frame are these three little beauties...

Amazon product ASIN B00T2VS7I0
Amazon product ASIN B005ZOXHA6
Slick SL59 Distressed TV Yellow Single P90 Pickup

Whatchas reckon?

Share your views/tales/desires of p90 guitars here.

I'm toying with the idea of sticking one of them humbucker sized p90s on my chinese explorer..well I was but it sounds too good to mess about with..with its lovely gammy Szezchuan electronics.So I might pick up some auld yoke for a oner or less and mod it

Last edited:
Both my SGs have a humbucker sized P90 in the neck. Would happily play a Jnr if they came with a neck pup instead of bridge.

Very nearly bought a white Tokai Jnr last week but got another bass instead.

Are the humbucker sized p90s as good?

They're a little different rather than better or worse but I like em alot. More chimey than a regular P90 but same kinda fat mids. That chimeyness in the neck position is just about perfect for my tastes.

They're a little different rather than better or worse but I like em alot. More chimey than a regular P90 but same kinda fat mids. That chimeyness in the neck position is just about perfect for my tastes.
Thats exactly the info I needed.I might oreder one of them Mean 90s from GFS and bang it in the bridge of the explorer

I'll also say there's a huge step up from a Mean90 to a proper hand wound one. Had a Mean90 and an Iron Gear Alchemist 90 and found both kinda weak. Have since got a BLKTRI P90H and a Bare Knuckle Missippi Queen which both wipe the floor with the cheapo ones. That said you're a much better guitarist than me so you'll probably get some great sounds outta the GFS. Make sure you have a 500K pot with it if the guitar doesn't already have one.

My Peavey Rockingham has two p90s. By rights it should sound like a monster. Even Darrel Higham who designed it said he'd be curious to hear it when I wrote to him about it. But I think they're cheap copies and they don't appear to be wired up correctly. @moose maybe you could have a look at it , as well as the Marauder?

Those are more hum free (like a humbucker with the stacking) rather than noiseless like Lace which I have heard lifeless complaints about.

Would they just sound like humbuckers?

Any advice for someone (me) looking to upgrade? I have no particular sound I'm trying to achieve other than, this sounds like a good P90. I've been thinking Vintage Seymour Duncans.

I've never actually heard them so couldn't tell ya. Lollar and Creamary are supposed to be the best p90s around, according to various nerds I know online. Have tried Bareknuckles and they're amazing but bloody fucking expensive new.

So..man of action that I happily am, I picked up one of these locally this morning ...its a Vintage..and I absolutely love it to bits.
The wraparound bridge gives it a bit of a stiffer feel than I'm used to but I'm fairly sure I'll acclimatise to it.
Soundwise..think..an angrier MOUNT KRAKATOA.The sustain is off the fucking chart

360_2d6160adb6589d2d06aee17faa2c842b.jpg

I think I might grow my hair out

61DCqsU5zxL.jpg

My hand is already getting the strength to play it right.
It dosen't feel half as stiff today

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back