Italy (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Okay, so I am going to Italy for two weeks (at the end of this month) just to have a look around since I've never been there. I fly into Venice and out of Naples and have booked places to stay in Venice, Florence, Bologna, Siena, Rome and Sorrento. I'll be taking trains to the various cities so no car.

Has anyone been or have good things to share? I know that it’s a bit much for only two weeks but I figure I can always go back to the places I felt I needed more time. Anyone know of interesting places or restaurants? I have a Lonely Planet book but would like some off the beaten path discoveries if you have them. Plus any, “no really, you must see this…” places that are listed in the travel books.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I went on a school trip in 1990 (just after Italia '90) after having been there on another in 1988. Theres so much there that you won't need to go off the beaten track. Just look at all the deadly stuff that everyone looks at. I think its one city where its kind of ok to be a tourist.

From memory (though I was only 16 at the time), walking the streets of Florence, in or around the Duomo cathedral, was deadly. As was the treks through the little backstreets in Venice (they're everywhere). Never been to Naples and I have no real memories of Milan. Rome was deadly though. The colloseum, the roman forum and the Piazza Venezia (where Mussollini gave some mad speech) were the things that stood out for me. Oh, and the catacombs. You gotta go to the catacombs. They're deadly.

Watch out for the sleezy Italian men. Way sleezier even than Irish men, especially if you're Irish, which of course, you are.

I went on a school trip in 1990 (just after Italia '90) after having been there on another in 1988. Theres so much there that you won't need to go off the beaten track. Just look at all the deadly stuff that everyone looks at. I think its one city where its kind of ok to be a tourist.

From memory (though I was only 16 at the time), walking the streets of Florence, in or around the Duomo cathedral, was deadly. As was the treks through the little backstreets in Venice (they're everywhere). Never been to Naples and I have no real memories of Milan. Rome was deadly though. The colloseum, the roman forum and the Piazza Venezia (where Mussollini gave some mad speech) were the things that stood out for me. Oh, and the catacombs. You gotta go to the catacombs. They're deadly.

Watch out for the sleezy Italian men. Way sleezier even than Irish men, especially if you're Irish, which of course, you are.

Well I figured Rome would be jam packed and I would never be without something to do. I suppose I was wondering more about Florence, Bologna, Siena and Sorrento. I will only be in Naples to catch the plane.

Irish men aren't sleezy (in comparison to others)...one would have to actually speak to be sleezy, no?

Well I figured Rome would be jam packed and I would never be without something to do. I suppose I was wondering more about Florence, Bologna, Siena and Sorrento. I will only be in Naples to catch the plane.

Irish men aren't sleezy (in comparison to others)...one would have to actually speak to be sleezy, no?

you make a very valid point.

Wait til you get a load of the italians. I think I told you a story before of someone you know who had red hair and got lots of hassle off them. Mad.

i lived in bologna for a while. great spot. its a real live city unlike most of the real touristy italian cities. about 80,000 students in a city of 500,00 so its got a pretty good nightlife.

there are no real arty/architectural highlights, apart fromt he city itself which is for the most part really beautiful. The main feature of Bologna is the food- pretty amazing food, often considered the food capital of Italy. a couple of places to check out would be Bella Napoli (via San Felice 40) or Trattoria beele Arti on via belle Arti which was my local pizza spot. amazing gelaterias are
la sorbettaria- via Castiglione 44 and gelateria gianni - via Montegrappa 11.

via zamboni is the main university street, can be a bit dodgy, stay away at night i'd say. good place to pick up a bit of dope though.... also, around the train station is a bit of a dump..

things to do:
wander, deadly city to walk around and eat and drink
walk up to san luca, just outside town- church on top of a hill with great views
there used to be a club/venue called link- had some good stuff going on, not sure if its still there
covo club has good gigs as well

hmmm, will think of more later....

i lived in bologna for a while. great spot. its a real live city unlike most of the real touristy italian cities. about 80,000 students in a city of 500,00 so its got a pretty good nightlife.

there are no real arty/architectural highlights, apart fromt he city itself which is for the most part really beautiful. The main feature of Bologna is the food- pretty amazing food, often considered the food capital of Italy. a couple of places to check out would be Bella Napoli (via San Felice 40) or Trattoria beele Arti on via belle Arti which was my local pizza spot. amazing gelaterias are la sorbettaria- via Castiglione 44 and gelateria gianni - via Montegrappa 11.

via zamboni is the main university street, can be a bit dodgy, stay away at night i'd say. good place to pick up a bit of dope though.... also, around the train station is a bit of a dump..

things to do:
wander, deadly city to walk around and eat and drink
walk up to san luca, just outside town- church on top of a hill with great views
there used to be a club/venue called link- had some good stuff going on, not sure if its still there
covo club has good gigs as well

hmmm, will think of more later....
I was in Bologna last April. Unfortunatly the nightlife has died down in the last few years, a conservative mayor I think. Everything is effectivly closed by 2. There's an absolutly deadly pub off Via Ugo Bassi called La Boheme. The crowd who run the place are cool as fuck and we stayed for a lock in everynight we were there. I think it's a beautiful city, people are really friendly and the food is terrific. You'll have a ball.

In Bologna you must go here

Osteria de' Coltelli da Biagio -
This place is not easy to find.
It's on the street of the same name, and there's little
else on the street. Ask the old guy standing around smoking a
cigarette where it is. He'll walk you the 10 feet and point at it incredulously. This place is run by two brothers from Calabria, so there are more pastas and a bit more spice than typical Bolognese fare. And licorice. This is the place that completely silenced us in awe or pleasure or something. It's really nice place. Lots of dark wood about. They were a bit suspicious at first, but they quickly warmed to us when we just let them bring us the specials of the night (including the stupidly allsome antipasti and a bottle of wine form Calabria). It's closed some mid-week night, like Wednesday.

and from some other threads

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=443248&postcount=24

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=644953&postcount=27

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showpost.php?p=294599&postcount=10

Venice, Florence, Bologna,

I'll be taking trains quote]

been in the three places listed above a few years ago and really liked them all.
venice is so unique. and i always sing its praises when people talk about booking a weekend away somewhere.

we used the train system and it was superb.

hmm must think abiout headign to italy again soon...

V. jealous Hayworth! I've been in Rome five months and haven't had a chance to travel around Italy at all yet. Stupid work.

You seem sorted for Rome recommendations, but if you're looking for anything in particular let me know. Where are you staying and for how long?

V. jealous Hayworth! I've been in Rome five months and haven't had a chance to travel around Italy at all yet. Stupid work.

You seem sorted for Rome recommendations, but if you're looking for anything in particular let me know. Where are you staying and for how long?

Accommodation has been sorted. I am hyper-organized (if you didn't already know that) and I didn't want to be without a place to rest my head. Or stuck in a hostel. I can't do the communal thing well. I went the b&b route, I figured it might be a step up from a hostel but not too swanky. I would rather a real feel for a place than it be too sterile, for lack of a better word.

Thanks or fall the tips thus far...they've been noted down.

Accommodation has been sorted. I am hyper-organized (if you didn't already know that) and I didn't want to be without a place to rest my head. Or stuck in a hostel. I can't do the communal thing well. I went the b&b route, I figured it might be a step up from a hostel but not too swanky. I would rather a real feel for a place than it be too sterile, for lack of a better word.

Thanks or fall the tips thus far...they've been noted down.

Was just asking so I could try and think of off-the-beaten-track type recommendations that'd be near/convenient to where you're staying. B&B or rented apartment is definitely the way to go.

in sorrento be sure to take trips to herculaneum and pompeii, it costs about 1euro 70 cent to see them from sorrento and are deadly. I went to capri from sorrento and to be honest it did nothing for me, just really crowded and stuff, not my cup of tea.

look at these beautiful bastards

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2Fc448e83b-ea83-40f8-9524-bb344bc251b8.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F29ed32c6-4526-440c-a3b2-8eb534245c59.jpg

living in their fucking castle

(here's a non subscriber link for maybe the first three people to click it)

Been doing Italian duolingo since the start of the year. It still hasn't tought me how to count but I suppose I should probably go on holiday there at some point.

Next year maybe.
io ho un squalo!

93 day streak here....

I thought I was doing great with Duolingo, full of confidence, but I was standing beside an Italian friend recently when she took a call and started chatting away.

Hadn't a fuckin' clue 8(

io ho un squalo!

93 day streak here....

I thought I was doing great with Duolingo, full of confidence, but I was standing beside an Italian friend recently when she took a call and started chatting away.

Hadn't a fuckin' clue 8(

I was up to 17something before I took off to part of Mayo with no mobile data last week. Back on the horse this week.

There's a program on more 4 on Fridays called Rocco Sciavone, detective show in Italian. We've been watching it and realising how far we have to go. It's the pace of the language and the way words roll inot each other that confuses me, the thick tongued Italian mumble or whatever.

Il mio tartaruga é nel piatto.

I’m supposed to be going to Southern Italy at the end of next month (looking a bit unlikely now) and I tried Duolingo for a while until I was told that they have a regional dialect so there’s no point.
I know a few curse words though, so that’ll do.

Lads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back