It gets switched on on Wednesday buchallaini agus callini (2 Viewers)

I'd say it will be another Sequencing the Human Genome thing.
OMG OMG, we, like, totally sequenced the human genome, look at all this data!!!

Deadly. What does it mean?

Haven't a clue.

there's been some fairly serious criticisms saying maybe spending vast amounts of money on slamming sub atomic particles together is not getting the best bang for your buck.
In fairness, understanding the universe (and science and shit) would be fairly useful. I just hope it works.

In fairness, understanding the universe (and science and shit) would be fairly useful. I just hope it works.

yeah... I mean, maybe an argument could be made that when the money was bookmarked, the notion that the planet was potentially screwed was not as apparent.

Thing is, there is a very finite amount of money given to science (which, since it pays all my wages, I am reminded of pretty often), so its all about priorities. There is loads of great research that should be done.
These boys got a lot of money, and the work they do is very cool. No questions.

You could argue that is not much point understanding more about sub atomic particle physics, if humans are up to their bollix in sea water, starving and disease ridden in the aftermath of the 19th hurricane of the season.

maybe they'll discover that it's all just wizards, kobolds and magic and it'll thankfully be the end of science

and the return of alchemy

if you got into this thing and were shot around it at close to the speed of light but didnt have anything colliding with you from the other direction could you survive?

there's been some fairly serious criticisms saying maybe spending vast amounts of money on slamming sub atomic particles together is not getting the best bang for your buck.

Anyway, yeah, these were just those hysterical The End Is Nigh climatologists.

What do they know.

is there a link for those climatologist criticims?

What do they want the money for?

The arms industry should subsidize them, they could help identify emerging markets.

frink.jpg

Is there any chance, really, in our lifetime, that this machine could be used to collide pineapples, frozen chickens, DVD players, and other such bric a brac at .999999991 times the speed of light? And if not, why not?

Is there any chance, really, in our lifetime, that this machine could be used to collide pineapples, frozen chickens, DVD players, and other such bric a brac at .999999991 times the speed of light? And if not, why not?

to speed things up, you need to put energy into them.
To get them to go increasingly faster, you have to increasingly larger amounts of energy into them.
This amount of energy rises exponentially as you approach the speed of light, and the curve is asymptotic to the speed of light.
Ie, you can never put enough energy into something to get it moving at the speed of light. The curve keeps going higher, and closer but never touches the speed of light line.

Presumably the more massive the object (and frozen chickens and pineapples are a lot larger than protons, or whatever they accelerate in these yokes) the more energy you need to accelerate it.
So the amount of energy needed to get frozen chickens anywhere near the speed of light is probably more energy than there is in the universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back