ISPs providing addresses of p2p users to the IRMA? (1 Viewer)

The Aslan fella would attract the sympathy of the average listener in that exchange, he was the most articualte of the non-Pats. Hilarious that they got the figure from "the bass player going on the internet".

so are you going to go on pat kenny or what gambra? i'd love to hear that stupid aslan bastard respond or better yet see his face

an aslan covers album for fuck's sake...'sales are really low, what's going on!' haha

Apparently Alsan were on Phantom in the last half hour talking about this. I wasn't listening though. Anyone hear it, or point them towards Gambra's post?

(Probably the only way they can generate publicity for their new album in fairness to them).

I wouldnt be too hard on Aslan on this one. They're being spoonfed statistics by their label & IRMA which perfectly compliments their own web 'research'. There really should have been an expert on with Aslan & Kavanagh to completely refute what they were saying or at least challenge their method of gathering data.

fair point. i'd love to think they'll do a bit of research and come back to all the same radio shows to say, you know what guys, what our record company told us was a load of shite and 25,000 was a complete exaggeration of how people downloaded the record, and maybe, stung by embarrassment, get involved in the debate in a more informed way

ahahahahahaahahahaha! There was a big Aslan banner ad at the bottom of the page but it's gone now....should have taken a screenshot.

fair point. i'd love to think they'll do a bit of research and come back to all the same radio shows to say, you know what guys, what our record company told us was a load of shite and 25,000 was a complete exaggeration of how people downloaded the record, and maybe, stung by embarrassment, get involved in the debate in a more informed way
"actually it turns out nobody downloaded our album because it's a pile of shit, we feel really pathetic now...is that what you call irony?"

He(mr aslan) said they asked the site to take down the album and then someone else would put it back up, thus creating new stats on the torrent. Which means the information Gambra gathered was based on downloads from the current torrent and not taking into acount all the torrents that were deleted. So mr aslan may have been exaggerating but we'll never know to what extent.

He(mr aslan) said they asked the site to take down the album and then someone else would put it back up, thus creating new stats on the torrent. Which means the information Gambra gathered was based on downloads from the current torrent and not taking into acount all the torrents that were deleted. So mr aslan may have been exaggerating but we'll never know to what extent.
i'd say it's safe to assume that an embarrassingly small number of copies of the album were actually downloaded. but, assuming aslan's crack team of internet wizards have been finessing their case, this should all be cleared up quickly. waiting with baited breath.

ah, also, the stats that gambra mentioned were randomly generated by an advert generator designed to spam people searching for torrents, and have no connection to actual file transfers.

The pirate bay doesn't take down torrents, and torrent nova doesn't even exist.

ad for their upcoming gig on the radio this morning, surely with 50,000 downloaders of "their" new album at least 3% of these would have bought tickets for the gig ensuring no need for a radio campaign to sell tickets.

I've just been listening to the first minute or two of this and have done a mere 10 minutes of googling to try verify the claim of 25,000 downloads. The EMI press statement mentioned that they've tracked that amount of downloads "through Torrents Nova and Pirate Bay alone." The first problem with that is that there's no such site as Torrents Nova (I presumed they meant mininova but Aslan gets zero hits over there) but never mind, we'll carry on.

Next I search for ever possible permutation for downloads of the new Aslan album and I kept getting the same result which is "Aslan - Uncase'd (2009) KompletlyWyred Dhz.inc" which was uploaded to thepiratebay. However this file only has a grand total of 9 seeders and 6 leechers and has been alive since the 26th of June. There's no way of telling how many times it's been leeched exactly but even if it was 6 new leechers every day it'd be a total of 108 downloads. It is fair to assume that only 9 of these bothered to seed back so I'd say the total is right.

Wondering still where the hell they got their mystical 25,000 total from I just searched for "Aslan Uncased" and was surprised to see 5 links to torrents of the album in the first two pages of results. However 4 of the 5 just link back to the one on TPB with 9 seeders. The 5th is where I think they got their mystical 25,000 total from:

http://www.nowtorrents.com/torrents/aslan-uncased.html

This is the 7th result you get on google for the album title and when you click it you actually get "No Matches were found" but up at the top are FAKE results that are actually just ad links. You could search for anything and you'll get those exact same four ad results.

http://www.nowtorrents.com/torrents/gambra-thumped.html

If you refresh the totals change each time so it's safe to say they found this link by googling the name, added up the total of listed downloads they got (which is totally random) and are using that to moan about their loss of sales. Incredible.

Forwarded your post to the Pat Kenny researcher. Would be interested to know what people think I did wrong or how I should have handled it differently , other than being a "squeeky voiced nerd". Bearing in mind, I was called and asked to do it at 8am the morning of, and the Pat Kenny show is hardly the right platform to get into explaining Creative Commons etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back