ISIS (1 Viewer)

anyone on here reckon that 'ISIS' is actually aload of horseshit?
and an excuse to wage war on 'terrorists'?

No, they are definitely real. If anything they are complicating the waging of war on 'terrorists'. For example, I don't think we would be seeing the overtures to Iran were it not for the situation with ISIS.

As for them forming a (pariah) state, I suppose they could. It's not like there is no precedent for a state being run by a bunch of Wahhabi nutcases. For example, there wasn't all that much urgency to unseat the Taliban from Afghanistan until it became obvious that they were harbouring Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. As long as they kept their shit to themselves they might be left alone ..... though that's unlikely I suppose.

ISIS Forces Controlling Ramadi are Ex-Baathist Saddam Loyalists

The fall of Ramadi, capital of Iraq’s Anbar Province, to the Islamic State last month has frayed nerves in Washington, but what few appear to grasp is that ISIS’s May offensive has given Ramadi back to its former owners — the ex-Baathist Sunni terrorists known as the Former Regime Loyalists. The FRLs, as they’re called, were Saddam Hussein’s most ardent followers, the same fighters whom the United States fought non-stop for eight years. Their resurgence has implications not just for the United States but for ISIS itself. For while these forces may fly the ISIS flag today, their ultimate plans for Iraq are quite different than those of the “caliphate.”

Syria-Iraq has all the makings of a generation or longer conflict like some of the civil wars in Central and South America and Southern Africa. It is so depressing. It's already been a dozen years that Iraq has been in turmoil.

Is Iran worried about IS on its border? - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

So why have the Iranian officials started to worry about IS entering Iran? Possible reasons include:

• IS is determined to overthrow Iran which they refer to as the Safavid state.

IS military victories in different provinces of Iraq in the past few months.

• The existence of high military, social and religious potentials in the border provinces of Iran such as Kurdistan, Sistan and Baluchistan, Khuzestan and Kermanshah.

• The Iranian army's ground forces’ lack of proper weaponry. (Pourdastan had asked the Iranian parliament members to allocate budget for the army to buy new tanks and helicopters.)
Sounds messy

I'm not sure Iran need worry too much- the border with Iraq is largely mountainous, a completely different proposition to I.S.' successes thus far rolling across vast areas of desert. Iran have also been supporting terrorist groups for decades so they're well acquainted with non-conventional warfare, and, while they may not have the most advanced weaponry I would imagine their military is highly motivated, or at least more so than the Iraqi army has been.

As above, not sure where else this could go, there is a Syria focus so here will have to do. (I'm gonna have to start a dedicated thread for this sort of stuff)... An interesting read on the ethics/morality of the US' use of proxies

The Moral Hazard of Proxy Warfare

War on the Rocks is well worth a follow on Facebook and wherever else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back