ISIS (1 Viewer)

There was a general sense of unease in London after Paris and Brussels. Whenever a tube stations closes, for whatever reason, people get a bit freaked out and take to Twitter demanding to know from TFL what's going on.

I'm convinced that at some stage they will hit a beach in France, like what happened in Tunisia last year. Even though this might never happen, and even though the chances of being on that beach at that particular time are indescribably remote, I still found myself idly checking the best escape routes when on the beach in France last year (for the first day anyway). Yes, this is ridiculous I know. It's like when I was a kid, I used to look at the horizon when on the beach in Wexford, because I was worried about Tsunamis.

The weird thing is though, it turns out that I know this dude that was on holiday with his family in that place in Tunisia when the shootings happened. They heard the shots, had to run from the pool, barricaded themselves in their room, saw dead bodies etc.

I'm convinced that at some stage they will hit a beach in France, like what happened in Tunisia last year. Even though this might never happen, and even though the chances of being on that beach at that particular time are indescribably remote, I still found myself idly checking the best escape routes when on the beach in France last year (for the first day anyway).

I think that's only natural. My first flight to the states after Sep 11th (the following summer) I was thinking about what I'd do if anything happened on the plane. Eventually I settled on rugby tackling any terrorist into the wall of the toilet cabin/gally that was onoly a few feet away.

The weird thing is though, it turns out that I know this dude that was on holiday with his family in that place in Tunisia when the shootings happened. They heard the shots, had to run from the pool, barricaded themselves in their room, saw dead bodies etc.
See, I read that and think "Even if I was in that country, in that town, on that beach at that exact time, there's a better than good chance I'd still make it"

Like being in the same shop that sells the winning Lotto ticket. Except, different.

See, I read that and think "Even if I was in that country, in that town, on that beach at that exact time, there's a better than good chance I'd still make it"

Like being in the same shop that sells the winning Lotto ticket. Except, different.

Very true. As I said, it's irrational. But bear in mind, that it's not just the question of "making it", it's also a question of the trauma of being anywhere near such an event. You see someone shot dead on a beach and I don't think you would ever be quite the same again.

There's a lad in work who was staying in a hotel across the road from the Bataclan who ran there to get away from the shootings at the cafe he was at.

Not even kidding.

I give him a wide berth now.

I booked flights to france during the week there. The chances of terrorists doing something on the plane or at the airport are incredibly remote but not as remote as if I didn't go at all.

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back