is this fucking local democracy? (1 Viewer)

deco[y]

So the minister for transport gets off the plane for some fucking junkett over in Thailand no doubt and gets all confused by the roadsigns that the corpo, in their enlightened and conserted efforts to push traffic policy forward in this slum, have rolled out. What does he do? He marches into the city managers office and gets them to stop on the policy.

Does the feckin' gombeen not know his way around the capital of the city he works in?

On a brighter note, sailing down an practically empty Fitzwillaim st and Parnell sq from a choked Dorset st this morning was a delight and made me feel like I was on a Critical mass. Even O connell street was notably clearer of traffic.

I still nearly got squashed a couple of times by artics on the quays. Ban them!

The city councillors may be democratically elected, but they don't generally consult with the populace before embarking on mad crappy sign systems. They don't get a very high score on my local democracy barometer.

Also: Lights on daytime - arse. Stats based on research done on Sweden, sponsored by Volvo. Stop wasting money on crappy signs!

Originally posted by Keeror
may be democratically elected, but they don't generally consult with the populace before embarking on ...

Isn't that the way of modern democracy in general? You cast your vote, then get no more say in what happens until the next vote? Not very high on the people power barometer, indubitably, but that's modern democracy for ya innit? (innit?)

V interesting about the lights on daytime thing - where'd you find that out?

Originally posted by Keeror

Also: Lights on daytime - arse. Stats based on research done on Sweden, sponsored by Volvo. Stop wasting money on crappy signs!

Got to disagree with you there mate. Visibility's really important. Me bes a motorybiker and I assure that there is nothing more dangerous than not being seen. If all those lights at daytime signs reminds one person to turn their lights on and that in turn saves one life, then I reckon its worth it.

As for those signposts about the town..theres one outside my gaff. I stood there for a minute lokking at it and fucked if I could make any sense of it.

try getting glasses...

for the love of....if you can't see a big fuck off articulated lorry coming for in broad daylight, I don't think you are gonna notice it cos it has it's lights on.

Re: try getting glasses...

Originally posted by deco[y]
for the love of....if you can't see a big fuck off articulated lorry coming for in broad daylight, I don't think you are gonna notice it cos it has it's lights on.

like artics are the only things that can knock people down and kill them...

Re: Re: try getting glasses...

Originally posted by Dan

Prick

Why have you resorted to name calling? I was only expressing my opinion. Sorry I didn't agree with you. Life ain't fair.

I just happen to think having your lights on in the daytime cannot possibly have any effect on visibility given that it is broad daylight. So I think the campaign is redundant.

Shit head.

Re: Re: try getting glasses...

Originally posted by conor

like artics are the only things that can knock people down and kill them...

elephants can too. And dinosaurs. But I think they are all gone. except in Scotland of course.

Im afraid I agree with the lights on thing. I cycle a lot and would notice more shit in my periphery if the lights were on. Yeah grand, so you can see a big fuckoff truck. so can most people, but imagine coming to a multi laned roundabout with more that one vehicle attempting to traverse it, there's where you get problems.

My brother told me it was Volvo sponsored the research. He might not have been telling the truth, but i doubt if any research on the subject has been done in Ireland. Sweden, as you know, has lots of darkness in the winter. Also, Volvo make cars on which the lights come on with the engine, automatically. And you can't turn them off either.

I find as a driver and a cyclist that while sometimes putting on lights makes cars more visible it also increases the risk of glare and temporary blindness - especially on those nasty 4x4s and SUVs with lights up at almost human eye level.
And that non-legally binding signs mimicking genuine warning signs are a distraction and dangerous too.

I reckon the corpo'd be better off reducing the city speed limit to 30km/h

Originally posted by egg_
that's modern democracy for ya innit? (innit?)

Probably most of the time, yeah, and it'd be unworkable any other way, unless we were Swiss.
But the Corpo have found that in some areas proper on-the-ground grassroots democracy is the only way to work, particularly in housing. They've started asking people what sort of houses they'd like to live in before re-developing blocks of flats and so on.

If you read the Dublin City Council Stragegy 2012, they make it look like they're genuinely trying to increase public participation in council activities etc. as well as an entire integrated strategy to make Dublin City 'lovely' by 2012 - consult with the public and keep everyone informed etc. It'll be interesting to see how much, if any, gets done by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back