Is there any pop music in Irish? (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
Just curious, I know Runrig and a few others in Scotland did songs with contemporary pop style but in Scots Gaelic, I was wondering if there's anything similar done in Ireland. I suppose Kila might qualify but anyone else?

Does this count?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can't think of any. I'd love to hear a Super Furry Animals Myng style album in Irish though, especially since you can say whatever you like as only primary school teachers will understand it and their all too busy auditioning for passion fashion to give a shit.

Horslips have a good few in Irish

Can't think of any. I'd love to hear a Super Furry Animals Myng style album in Irish though, especially since you can say whatever you like as only primary school teachers will understand it and their all too busy auditioning for passion fashion to give a shit.

Unless your lyrics consist of "Tá Pól ag leim. Tá Máire ag gáire" they probably won't.

Nonsense they learn fluent irish so they can talk about students in front of them without the kid knowing, then they do it in the pub when your sitting in between two of them and you're instantly transported back to being that kid outside the classroom knowing they're talking about you and the rage fills your now man sized body resulting in clenched fists and gritted teeth and the fucking spas not knowing how close they just came to a mouth full of fingers. Angry fucking fingers.

Nonsense they learn fluent irish so they can talk about students in front of them without the kid knowing, then they do it in the pub when your sitting in between two of them and you're instantly transported back to being that kid outside the classroom knowing they're talking about you and the rage fills your now man sized body resulting in clenched fists and gritted teeth and the fucking spas not knowing how close they just came to a mouth full of fingers. Angry fucking fingers.

Yeah it is testament to their self-belief that while teaching us Irish they didn't think we'd understand them when they spoke it.

this doesnt really answer your question, but 'pop' being a sort of brit/american pehnohnenom, irish music doesnt lend it self to dancefloor hits and so forth - only the ever-reliable film tie in could conjure up an actual irish language number 1.

watch

if you want a pop song, i.e. one that hits dancefloors, radio's etc this is probably the bestest: (and its anglo irish word play rather then actual irish)

however, if you want to hear songs done in the style of british and american artists in the irish language, listen to radio na gealtactha for a day - you hear lots of stuff translated into irish and lots of stuff that sounds eerily like current hits in irish. i think glannssaard even has a few of his tunes cunningly translated to mop up the gealteacht dollars. coincidentally there's an irish tune on me next e.p.

Anytime I turn on RnaG I hear a report about a mains bursting in Kerry then some céilí music then someone complaining about the tarmac on the Bearna road. What is the best time to tune in to hear the stuff you mention agus cá bhfuil do amhrán?

i really dont know. i listen to most radio between about 7pm and 4am - i just have a lot of recollections of thinking 'fuck, is that a bob dylan song in irish' or 'fuck that sounds awful like sunday morning coming down'. the amhran is in the tiomán go crua and will be staying there for a while yet.

There was a series on TG4 over Christmas which featured old Irish songs re-recorded and with newly made animated videos. Declan O'Rourke did this song:

It sounds like The Beta Band in Irish, which is pretty cool.

There was also an amazing version of this song:

I picked up discs lately by John Beag (Tá an workhouse lán) and Beairtle O'Domhnaill (Nancy Bhán). I suppose they ply country and irish but much of it is sung as gaeilge. Nancy Bhán and a couple of tracks off Beairtle's album I could imagine doing fairly well if they got wider airplay, sorta like an Irish version of Galway Girl*. There's another Connemara country-pop band called, I think, Aerach that have a really catchy tune called Siar Go Conamara but I can't find it to purchase as yet. The songs being in Irish make them more palatable than a lot of similar stuff as Béarla, to my ears at least.

*Yeah I know there's an Irish version of this already by Mundy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back