Is the Epiphone Explorer bass any good? (1 Viewer)

They're lovely.IF you're into the bass humbucker sound.I'm not so I wouldnt get one for that reason.They sound great through an amp but are next to useless for recording I would guess,if the Epi V bass I had is anything to go by.

But..I favour Fenders for recording so I'm biased.

I have one of these.
00071700.jpg

It's extremely flawed. It sounded nice when i got it but then it very quickly developed a really horrible buzzing noise and got very muddy. Impossible to record with. Even more annoyingly (and I'd say the explorer has the same issue) the headstock and neck are heavier than the body so you have to balance the whole thing with your left hand, otherwise the neck flops down towards the floor. It's more annoying than it sounds. Eventually I fixed the problem by putting both ends of the strap on one strap holder (like Albini does except not wearing the strap as a belt though the belt option is more comfortable but feels weird) It's like a fucking torture device because it weighs a fucking tonne and cuts into your sides.

Yeah..I don't rate Gibson type of basses at all tbh...too wooly

Acually now that you mention it they do sound really great through one of these.

_c527004_image_0.jpg

Better than any other bass does through it, to be fair it

They normally sound thin and shrill so makes sense to counteract the woolliness. Was looking hard into bass humbuckers for a while there but settled on wiring two jazz pickups in series. Makes a huge difference in thump/punch if not quite p-bass territory.

They normally sound thin and shrill so makes sense to counteract the woolliness. Was looking hard into bass humbuckers for a while there but settled on wiring two jazz pickups in series. Makes a huge difference in thump/punch if not quite p-bass territory.

This to me sounds like the way forward..best of both worlds scenario

I have one of these.
00071700.jpg

It's extremely flawed. It sounded nice when i got it but then it very quickly developed a really horrible buzzing noise and got very muddy. Impossible to record with. Even more t hand, otherwise the neck flops down towards the floor. It's more annoying than it sounds. Eventually I fixed the problems by putting both ends of the strap on one strap holder (like Albini does except not wearing the strap as a belt though the belt option is more comfortable but feels weird) It's like a fucking torture device because it weighs a fucking tonne and cuts into your sides.
counterweight it at the body

I've never understood the problem of neck heavy guitars.

the problem is exerting energy to support the neck, as well has hold chords. its not a huge problem on a guitar, but it is really unhealthy long term. on a bass, in a high energy 40 minute set, a complete veteran bassist can be almost paralysed in the arm and fingers due to bad circulation from the amount of muscles cramping to play basic riffs. if you are playing anything apporaching a riff (using more than one finger) and supporting a bass neck, you are doing it all with your thumb, it goes wrong and its sore.

I've played neck heavy guitars since I started playing,and played bass in a band for ages and played a thunderbird,never bothered me. Never felt like any energy was used supporting the neck.

I suppose that's fair enough. I don't really remember with the bass,but the neck of my guitar doesn't drop to the floor if I let go and I see that criticism of guitars way more than basses,maybe my gut balances it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back