Is my laptop too slow to run Pro Tools LE 7? (1 Viewer)

kevin gallen

Website
www.qprdot.org
Cause it seems like it...

It's painfully slow. Here is my spec

Windows XP
Toshiba Satellite A100-200
Core Intel Duo T2050 1.6 GHz
0.99GB of RAM
80GB Hardrive

so maybe I need more RAM? I see some people suggesting 4GB RAM on other message boards.

I put RAM in an old desktop computer years ago but I wouldn't know where to start with a laptop.

any help appreciated. cheers

based on the website, your running it just above the very basic, more ram is a general rule with daw's. just put in as much as is compatible with your machine.

the ram information is down about a page here

Total System RAM

• 512MB minimum required for Pro Tools LE 7.0/7.1 (Digi 002, 002 Rack, Mbox 2, Mbox 2 Mini, Mbox) - More Recommended
  • 768MB minimum required for Pro Tools LE 7.1.2 (Mbox 2 Pro) - More Recommended
  • More RAM increases overall system and Pro Tools performance
  • More RAM suggested for sessions with high edit density, extensive use of plug-ins, or simultaneous use with MIDI sequencers
  • DigiTranslator 2.0 will also require additional RAM
  • 1GB total system RAM or more required with DV Tookit 2 & Music Production Toolkit options in order to reliably achieve maximum track count
  • Refer to motherboard manufacturer for supported RAM version

from this place, might help meantimes:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=227746

How to improve performance of VI's in Pro Tools. The first thing you should do is make sure that you only have compatible plug-ins installed. You can find the compatibility grid here:

www.digidesign.com/plugingrid

If the plug-in you're trying to use is not on the grid, you should question it's compatibility and check with the manufacturer to find out if it's compatible with version of Pro Tools you're running.

Keep in mind that most plug-ins are constantly in development and many manufacturers are still adjusting to changes/improvements we've made to the RTAS engine. While they've been tested and are considered 'compatible', they may not be taking full advantage of our latest SDK (see note below about CPU usage..). We are working closely with manufacturers to help them update their plug-ins, so expect improvements as time goes on.

The next optimization is making sure you're giving VI's that use large sample libraries their own drive to stream or load samples from. This is a drive completely independent of your OS and audio drives. Plug-ins like Ivory, Structure, Kontakt and others benefit from having a separate drive - Ivory practically requires it. Making sure that you've also followed the manufacturers instructions for optimizing the plug-in settings is also critical to getting the best performance.

Another critical aspect - make sure you have enough RAM. 2GB is about the minimum recommended for solid VI performance. The more you have, typically the better VI's will perform.

Because RTAS plug-ins all all real-time - meaning that, as soon as you instanciate them, they take up the necessary CPU cycles - they can be sensitive to anything that can interrupt real-time data streams, so following the steps in the General Troubleshooting link below my signature and doing all the optimizations there will likely help. It's also good to not have any more VI plug-ins instanciated than absolutely necessary. If you're finished with one or more VI's, I'd recommend doing a bus based bounce to a new audio track and then disable the plug-in, so that those CPU cycles can be used by other plug-ins.

Lastly, due to the fact that many VI's are still not fully RTAS compatible (see my note above), sometimes it may be necessary to reduce the number of CPU's in the Playback Engine by 1 - so, if you have an 8 core processor, set the number of CPU's to 7. What this does is opens up a CPU for any non real-time processes to run - you still take full advantage of both CPU's and increase performance in Pro Tools. Typically 9128 and 6086 errors are indicators that you have some non real-time code happening in plug-ins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back