Irish Times Best 50 Irish albums of all time (1 Viewer)

Great Irish albums not on that list:
Horslips The Táin
Mellow Candle Swaddling Songs
The Bothy Band Old Hag You Have Killed Me
The Virgin Prunes If I Die, I Die
Operating Theatre Rapid Eye Movements
The Jimmy Cake Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead (though you could put any of their albums there in its place)
Sea Dog Wizards of the Coast
David Kitt The Big Romance
Brian Conniffe/Suzanne Walsh/Diarmuid MacDiarmada self-titled
Drainland And So Our Troubles Began
Gemma Hayes Night on My Side
Decal Brightest Star

Does Nurse With Wound count given that he’s been living and working in Clare for about 30 years now?

8 on your list i've never heard.

edit: thats an observational comment. I'm more intrigued that there a load of records out there that are probably great that i've never heard a second of.

I have heard OF a lot of them in fairness.

Taste - Taste
Taste - On the Boards

Rory Gallagher - Rory Gallagher
Rory Gallagher - Deuce
Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Rory Gallagher - Photo Finish

U2 - War

*Not an exclusive list"

8 on your list i've never heard.

edit: thats an observational comment. I'm more intrigued that there a load of records out there that are probably great that i've never heard a second of.

I have heard OF a lot of them in fairness.
Well then, I’m looking forward to you going off and listening to them and enjoying them!

i do like rory gallagher, but of all the stuff i have heard of his, i can't help thinking that the one thing he was missing was a good songwriter.

Are you sniffing glue?

He could have done with help producing, didnt always nail the live tone on the records. The ones above sound the best imho.

The one time I played EP (with the cover band from my local) the lad who gave me a lift down played Chris De Burgh music the whole way down. In fairness the only other CD he had in the car was Stoat, so he is OK With Me

The thing about a lot these really uncool artists. If you can overlook the incredible naffness, they're actually very good at what they do.

He obviously has a bad experience with a ferry man. The anger in that song is terrifying.

Like I'd say on one hand

Charon, in Greek mythology, the son of Erebus and Nyx (Night), whose duty it was to ferry over the Rivers Styx and Acheron those souls of the deceased who had received the rites of burial. In payment he received the coin that was placed in the mouth of the corpse

But i'm still happy to think it was just about being annoyed about being on a ferry.

But i'm still happy to think it was just about being annoyed about being on a ferry.
[/QUOTE]

which reminds me -
it's a long standing dream of mine to hear a some headbanger band cover
Don't Pay The Ferryman by Chris De Burgh.
great tune but Chris' other songs are awful alright.

but unfortunately when metalers have covered No Limits by 2Unlimited or Rasputin by Boney M
it didn't come out nearly as well as it should have.

I went to see Sharon Corr at Oxegen (I think?) one year, the filth she had to put up with from some of the crowd. Poor woman.
was I with you at that? It was on the friday and there was nothing else on. I saw a lad I worked with and said 'state of you watching sharon corr', when it twigged I was watching her too. morto

I was a big CDB fan when I was 12. Won tickets on the hotline to see him in the RDS and the gig blew my 12-year-old mind.

Then he put his mickey in the babysitter and I lost all respect.

Isn't he an actual Earl or something? I know he has some regal heritage. Not sure to what country's royal family. Argentina maybe, if they have one.

was I with you at that? It was on the friday and there was nothing else on. I saw a lad I worked with and said 'state of you watching sharon corr', when it twigged I was watching her too. morto
You were not but we found out later. Gas.

Great Irish albums not on that list:
Horslips The Táin
Mellow Candle Swaddling Songs
The Bothy Band Old Hag You Have Killed Me
The Virgin Prunes If I Die, I Die
Operating Theatre Rapid Eye Movements
The Jimmy Cake Dublin Gone, Everybody Dead (though you could put any of their albums there in its place)
Sea Dog Wizards of the Coast
David Kitt The Big Romance
Brian Conniffe/Suzanne Walsh/Diarmuid MacDiarmada self-titled
Drainland And So Our Troubles Began
Gemma Hayes Night on My Side
Decal Brightest Star

Does Nurse With Wound count given that he’s been living and working in Clare for about 30 years now?

Gemma Hayes album is on there, which frankly dates the people who chose the albums to a fairly specific age group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back