Irish Times Best 50 Irish albums of all time (1 Viewer)

Wrong Cathy Davey Album, Silversleeve is good, a banger actually, but 'the nameless' is one big huge solid piece of work, its like if silversleeve had three sides. Its such a good breakup album I'd nearly avoid it if the breakup wasn't good enough to have a solid soundtrack.

I have other opinons for later.

List was written by someone in their late 20s, early 30s despite the vote-by-committee blurb. It's not for us beaten down old 38 year olds.

Couldn't hack the nameless at all @ann post , some ronan keating vocals going on. Spoiled her entire catalogue for me.

I was about to give out about the Andy Irvine/Paul Brady album not being there and then realised it was. Then realised that it (along with Planxty and now Lankum) are pretty much the go-to "trad" records for indie-heads (like myself) who like to think they are, to some extent anyway, "into trad". Which pretty much means it's been excluded. Which is a bit mad, when you think about it.

I was listening to lyric one night last week and the presenter did a feature on this record. Now GRANTED its a mixture of medieval music and jazz but I butted in half way through a tune and after about a minute I was thinking 'what seminal classical crossover album are they digging up this time' while also just being totally blown away by the music.
Anywhoo it turned out to be this, i haven't heard it in full, I'm not even sure which tunes I heard but it is amazing and it is Irish.

Probably going to end up ordering it although i wish it was on a larger disc.

I was listening to lyric one night last week and the presenter did a feature on this record. Now GRANTED its a mixture of medieval music and jazz but I butted in half way through a tune and after about a minute I was thinking 'what seminal classical crossover album are they digging up this time' while also just being totally blown away by the music.
Anywhoo it turned out to be this, i haven't heard it in full, I'm not even sure which tunes I heard but it is amazing and it is Irish.

Probably going to end up ordering it although i wish it was on a larger disc.

Here's the show actually - you can skip direct to 2:24:00 and if you are hearing some mad shit then you are doing it right.

I agree with Ann Post, Tales of SilverSleeve is a great record.

If they were only going to have 2 MBV albums on it I'd prefer the most recent one to Isn't Anything. Loveless is still the best Irish record ever IMHO. Also think that Si Schroder's Coping Mechanisms, which isn't on the top 50, is a phenomenal piece of work.

Just stared at the list there - I've heard about half of them. I'm not sure yer man from Villiagers would even support the theory that he wrote 6% of the best albums in Ireland.

Here's the show actually - you can skip direct to 2:24:00 and if you are hearing some mad shit then you are doing it right.

Ah its on the internet now, only going in for my first spin myself now:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Considering liking Enya has been the height of taste for at least a decade now I think the full-on Corrs revival is about due alright.

I agree with Ann Post, Tales of SilverSleeve is a great record.

If they were only going to have 2 MBV albums on it I'd prefer the most recent one to Isn't Anything. Loveless is still the best Irish record ever IMHO. Also think that Si Schroder's Coping Mechanisms, which isn't on the top 50, is a phenomenal piece of work.
I saw your tweet about the Si Schroder album. I have a copy of that I can let you have. Will be out of the country for a bit though, so if it can wait til the autumn I'll get it to you somehow.

what now?

Ah I half looked at it lastnight. There were was some spat and yerman weighed in in fluent 'i've spent the past few years getting all my information from Joerden Rogenson and this is cultural marxism' and yerwan who used to run a high profile campaign acc decided he was cancelled and about 4 people cared. That national burning of ROL materials has been moved from the aviva to a smaller venue AFAIK.

I saw your tweet about the Si Schroder album. I have a copy of that I can let you have. Will be out of the country for a bit though, so if it can wait til the autumn I'll get it to you somehow.

Its kinda mad that even in the internet, things can be hard to find. I'm also curious about this record. I was aware at the time people liked it but never heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back