Irish beer/ ale (1 Viewer)

Its lovely isn't it! they only have it in one pub down here and there seem to always be problems with the keg when i go to get my second pint!ninjaaaa its kinda chocolate-y without being as overpowering as the youngs choc stout and its very smooth and tasty!:) I want one now!!
Yeah, it's very rare to get it on keg, I've only had 2 or 3 pints of it, the rest of the time was bottles.

Last year they launched a 10 year anniversary stout called Celebration. Fucking gorgeous. The special edition I mentioned earlier seems to be a slightly toned down version of that. I got it from Superquinn. Check it out.

I actually think it was a good idea, it's just a shame that they didn't take the opportunity and do something genuinely exciting with it. Very slight variations on Guinness is pointless.
Well, that's what I meant by shite, I only started drinking it when they introduced the Brewhouse things, just to see if there was a difference, there was nothing noticeable, or nothing that would have made me drink one of the Brewhouse series ahead of Guinness itself.

I would love to see a back to basics beer by Guinness. Stronger, maltier, unnnitrogenated and cask conditioned. They could charge way more for it and market it at wankers like me.

Problem is, it would be tantamount to admitting that their main product is mediocre.

Aye, I suppose it's so bland to appeal to a wider range of people.

Aye, I suppose it's so bland to appeal to a wider range of people.
That's probably their logic, but I wonder is it flawed. Guinness is bland for a stout, but if you're after a bland beverage, you probably aren't after a stout. Loads of lagers taste very similiar to water and no matter how hard Diageo try, they'll never be able to match that (thank fuck). If tastier beers were to become more available (and they are), Guinness will continue to struggle to hold onto their market.

Or maybe not.

Agreed, I'd usually go for the likes of a Chimay blue, or whatever before a Guinness just for the taste. Guinness is just boring, preferable to most of the generic crap available in most bars, but still, there are thankfully more offerings available these days.

Some very decent Irish beers at the moment but unfortunately neither Galway Hooker nor Porterhouse have bottling plants, so they're out. Also, Messrs beers are only rarely put into bottles, which is a real shame.

O'Hara's Stout by the Carlow brewing company is absolutely fantastic, what I wish Guinness tasted like. They're also doing some stronger special edition at the moment, which is even nicer.

The Whitewater brewery in Belfast do a few good beers and should be easy enough to find. They are Clothworthy Dobbin (a lovely porterish ale), Belfast Ale (standard enough but very worthwhile ale. Similiar to a lot of English bottled ales such as Abbot, Bishops Finger that sort of thing.) Belfast Lager (haven't tasted it. I've had so few worthwhile lagers from UK or Ireland that I never got around to trying it). It might be nice to get all three.

Carlow brewing company also do a Red Ale called O'Hara's Red which some people swear by but Red Ale isn't my favourite style. They also make a wheat beer called Curim which is nice enough, but a little sweet.

I can't think of any more at the moment but I'll go for a walk and think about it. If I can think of more, I'll let you know.

Let me know if you need advice where you can buy these beers.

Thanks boss! Is that O'Haras stout readily available? I think I saw it in the airport the last time I was through but I can't remember.

On another topic..

Is this available over there? Brewed down the road from me in oak casks previously used for bourbon. Lovely stuff!

studiotest_0606.jpg

Thanks boss! Is that O'Haras stout readily available? I think I saw it in the airport the last time I was through but I can't remember.
Yeah, very easy to find. All decent offys as well as both Tesco's and Superquinn.
On another topic..

Is this available over there? Brewed down the road from me in oak casks previously used for bourbon. Lovely stuff!

studiotest_0606.jpg
Yep, it's here. Some people love it but it's not really my bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back