Ireland (1 Viewer)

Town planning innit. The same thing that meant the KFC drive through didn't happen on the doorstep of a secondary school here.

swings and roundabouts

I wonder if the next step will be that the local busybodies will start hassling the couple who bought the house nearby, which is right next to the local church...

...and then painted the entire house a deep satanic black, including the garden wall and front door

forget the ballerinas, this pair are the true local heroes

I wonder if the next step will be that the local busybodies will start hassling the couple who bought the house nearby, which is right next to the local church...

...and then painted the entire house a deep satanic black, including the garden wall and front door

Black cars too. Commitment to style.

That's a modern look alright

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had some mixed views about Ireland when I went home over xmas. I always do.

Where I'm from, I'm sure everyone would vote Trump given the chance.

They're all saying "save our countryside!" and oppose wind turbines and the sissy Greens up in that Dublin. But like, the whole place is full of woefully inefficient and expensive and never-quite-finished one off houses*, pick-up trucks and beef farming. Horse racing imagined as a sport rather than a scam.

*I mean JESUS. My younger and (I thought) smarter cousins are insisting on building a gaff from scratch, when there's houses in town for half the price that they can just walk in to. And then they complain that they can't get a mortgage. I said nothing of course, but they seem to think that it's their god-given right to build a house in the middle of nowhere. And then complain about the lack of amenities.

Guinness was cheap though. and there's duty free now.

I mean that's not an entirely unacceptable bit of reasoning

1672694927688.png

*I mean JESUS. My younger and (I thought) smarter cousins are insisting on building a gaff from scratch, when there's houses in town for half the price that they can just walk in to. And then they complain that they can't get a mortgage. I said nothing of course, but they seem to think that it's their god-given right to build a house in the middle of nowhere. And then complain about the lack of amenities.

For a while i used to make a joke that people buy the wrong size couch and end up having to move house to accomodate it.

Or people buy a lamp and have to refurnish the room accordingly.

Anywhoo i heard someone trading up from ocer 100 sq m's to to 200sqm's recently and i'm 90% sure its a domino from buying a big fridge a while back.

The sticks has had decades of planning law being bribed out of existence, section 4 is a 1960's thing so possibly second generation of people expecting a mc mansion whereever they please. trying to go from that to a realistic outlook is not easy when its a political football.

People are snapping up all the derelict houses here in Westmeath. They can always renovate later once they've established their homestead on the land.

People are snapping up all the derelict houses here in Westmeath. They can always renovate later once they've established their homestead on the land.

I mean, horn thread almost. Don't hate me I'm only human.

But that was something else I noticed. For every ugly mcmansion there was also a dirty, empty house lying derelict. Often one where I remember the people that used to live there. And not a faded beauty of a gaff that needs a little love, just a normal, boring gaff.

What's the countryside going to look like in say 60 years?

I mean, horn thread almost. Don't hate me I'm only human.

But that was something else I noticed. For every ugly mcmansion there was also a dirty, empty house lying derelict. Often one where I remember the people that used to live there. And not a faded beauty of a gaff that needs a little love, just a normal, boring gaff.

What's the countryside going to look like in say 60 years?
Apparently rural Ireland is empty compared to what it was before the famine so there's loads of room. It's the small towns like Lexilip that they're making shit of by building apartment blocks on every blade of grass

do mastodon links work the same as twitter ones?

Yea I was in Mayo over the weekend. Even the non-derelict houses are empty. Maybe remote working can bring some life back to these places. It is amazingly beautiful (the nature) and hideously ugly (run down empty houses and godawful McMansions).

do mastodon links work the same as twitter ones?

Riley S. Faelan @[email protected]
@Tupp_ed: And remember how married women used to get PPS numbers that were their husband's PPS numbers with a 'W' tacked on, for 'Wife' ?

My mum told me about this when I was like 12 or something. I thought it novel that they had the same PPS number, and that the "W" stood for "woman".

Then mum said pointedly "no, it stands for wife". It made her quite angry, I'd never ever seen her express a strident feminist opinion before. We agreed that it was crazy of course, but suffice to say, it scared the living shit out of me and my dad and my brother.

Handy for doggin proximity

the population was about 9 million i think pre famine.

It's 4.5ish now?

In the famine era most houses were 1/2 the size with maybe 10-12 people in them.

the population was about 9 million i think pre famine.

It's 4.5ish now?

In the famine era most houses were 1/2 the size with maybe 10-12 people in them.
And they were rammed up the side of mountains and everything

It doesn't seem like the best comparison

All that said, I'd fucking love to have the time to fix up one of these derelict gaffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back