Ireland (17 Viewers)

i would love to find it now, but i did read an article years ago which basically was 'who are we middle class people, trying to enforce our high standards of rent controls on poor people who could not afford them? we should allow them cheap accomodation, and if it's cheap because there are no controls, so be it'
it was just shy of citing the united federation of planets' prime directive.

Ah it wasn't Vox, it was my buddy Ezra on his New York Times podcast

Transcript: Ezra Klein Interviews Jenny Schuetz

EZRA KLEIN: Is there anything here that you just feel we didn’t cover that we really should, that is a big hole in either your theory or just the connective tissue of the argument?

JENNY SCHUETZ: So one thing that I would like to see more of in housing policy is more experimentation. This is a really conservative space. We adopt policies, and we stick with them for very long periods of time. That’s certainly true on the land use side, but even the outlines of our federal tax policy and the way we pay for public services — because all of these things are interconnected, right now they’re reinforcing bad outcomes. It’s hard to persuade people to try something radically different, if we haven’t tried it, to see whether it will work.

And homelessness is a good example. We are at a crisis point. And the current approaches are not working. They are not scaling up, but we haven’t tried something that’s radically different. So I almost feel like there isn’t enough urgency on some of these to —

EZRA KLEIN: What is something that would be radically different?

JENNY SCHUETZ: We could potentially throw out all of the building code regulations around not letting homeless people live in, say, vacant commercial buildings. We have a bunch of vacant office buildings. You can’t just put homeless people in them because they don’t have bathrooms and bedrooms and things like that.

We could just say, for the short-term, that doesn’t matter. They need to have some place to live and let them use them. And that’s not even a huge change in policy. That’s something that local governments could do. But they are very, very risk-averse and not willing to try that.

i would love to find it now, but i did read an article years ago which basically was 'who are we middle class people, trying to enforce our high standards of rent controls on poor people who could not afford them? we should allow them cheap accomodation, and if it's cheap because there are no controls, so be it'
it was just shy of citing the united federation of planets' prime directive.
Hahaha, hey how did you know what I was going to post??

Citizenship Referendum McDowell, the only way I can handle his weekly column is to treat it like a satire from the perspective of a man who has been living in a permanent 1972 for 50 years now and will continue to do so until his dying day.

the maddest thing about it all is that he basically single-handedly destroyed the progressive democrats in 2007, the basis of his own power and influence. so by any objective measure, the guy is a colossal loser. but, similar to boris and other chancers, he magically fails upwards into having a cosy column in the irish times where he can harrumph about shinners through his secure retirement.

the maddest thing about it all is that he basically single-handedly destroyed the progressive democrats in 2007, the basis of his own power and influence. so by any objective measure, the guy is a colossal loser. but, similar to boris and other chancers, he magically fails upwards into having a cosy column in the irish times where he can harrumph about shinners through his secure retirement.

I remember thinking when the pds followed Harney with the election of mcdowell as leader it was a cat sticking a banger up its own arse moment

Worse than that, for me anyways.
He destroyed Chuck Feeney's Centre For Public Inquiry, using his position as Minister For Justice and parliamentary privilege to do so. Even the DPP had a go at him for it.
It was the last good chance we had at, if not rooting out, then at least shining a light on the corruption that runs Ireland.
And he snuffed it out at inception.
Horrible fucker, to my mind.

Before I forget.

I'm talking to a nordie dude, (Omagh) a Northumberland dude, and a Dutch person. I asked Dutch person who has lived here a long time, between me and Nordie guy, you can tell we there's a difference in our accents right?

We used the word Motorhead as an an example. It had something to do with typing fada's and umlauts. It was pretty funny.

Strangely, the Dutch person said "Well basically everything outside England is basically Ireland.

I've no idea what that means. I like it though.

Strangely, the Dutch person said "Well basically everything outside England is basically Ireland.

I've no idea what that means. I like it though.
Saxons and Celts, innit?

And we're the Celtic homeland/mothership in this bifurcation

I'll take it

Saxons and Celts, innit?

And we're the Celtic homeland/mothership in this bifurcation

I'll take it

Funnily enough, a Bulgarian friend was saying to me, he moved to NYC in the early 90's. And he said "When I lived in New York with these motherfuckers, all the police, they were Irish. 98% Irish. But all the secret service guys, all Italian."

I made some comment about it being a gangster country where people found their turf and clung to it. He said "Exactly" . I asked no more questions about the Secret Service.

Sorry if the boys come round guys.

Funnily enough, a Bulgarian friend was saying to me, he moved to NYC in the early 90's. And he said "When I lived in New York with these motherfuckers, all the police, they were Irish. 98% Irish. But all the secret service guys, all Italian."

I made some comment about it being a gangster country where people found their turf and clung to it. He said "Exactly" . I asked no more questions about the Secret Service.

Sorry if the boys come round guys.
There's this great opening to a chapter in Bonfire of the Vanities, where Wolfe describes how the entire NYC police dept turned Irish. The Italians. The Jews. The Blacks.

It's not entirely complimentary, but hard not to feel some recognition of there being truth at the bottom of it

Tawkin Irish
Martin’s Irish machismo was so icy Kramer couldn’t conceive of him as high-spirited, except possibly while drunk. Even then, he figured, he would be a mean and irritable drunk. But this morning he was in high spirits. His sinister Doberman eyes had become big and bright. He was happy as a child.
“So we’re standing there in this lobby with these two doormen,” he was saying, “and there’s a buzz, and this button lights up, and Jesus Christ, one a these guys, he’s running out the door like he’s got a wire up his ass, and he’s blowing a whistle and waving his arms for a cab.” He looked straight at Bernie Fitzgibbon as he told this tale. The four of them, Martin, Fitzgibbon, Goldberg, and himself, were in Fitzgibbon’s office. Fitzgibbon, as befitted a Homicide Bureau chief in the District Attorney’s Office, was a slender athletic Irishman of the Black Irish stripe with a square jaw, thick black hair, dark eyes, and what Kramer called a Locker Room Grin. A Locker Room Grin was quick but never ingratiating. Fitzgibbon no doubt smiled readily at Martin’s story and its boorish details because Martin was a particular type of tough little Harp, and Fitzgibbon understood and valued the breed. There were two Irishmen in the room, Martin and Fitzgibbon, and two Jews, Goldberg and himself, but to all intents and purposes there were four Irishmen. I’m still Jewish, thought Kramer, but not in this room. All the cops turned Irish, the Jewish cops, like Goldberg, but also the Italian cops, the Latin cops, and the black cops. The black cops even; nobody understood the police commissioners, who were usually black, because their skin hid the fact that they had turned Irish. The same was true of assistant district attorneys in the Homicide Bureau. You were supposed to turn Irish. The Irish were disappearing from New York, so far as the general population was concerned. In politics, the Irish, who twenty years ago still ran the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and much of Manhattan, were down to one seedy little district over on the West Side of Manhattan, over where all the unused piers rusted in the Hudson River. Every Irish policeman Kramer met, including Martin, lived out on Long Island or some place like Dobbs Ferry and commuted to the city. Bernie Fitzgibbon and Jimmy Caughey were dinosaurs. Everybody moving up in the Bronx District Attorney’s Office was Jewish or Italian. And yet the Irish stamp was on the Police Department and on the Homicide Bureau of the D.A.’s Office, and it would probably be there forever. Irish machismo that was the dour madness that gripped them all. They called themselves Harps and Donkeys, the Irish did. Donkeys! They used the word themselves, in pride but also as an admission. They understood the word. Irish bravery was not the bravery of the lion but the bravery of the donkey. As a cop, or as an assistant district attorney in Homicide, no matter what kind of stupid fix you got yourself into, you never backed off. You held your ground. That was what was scary about even the smallest and most insignificant of the breed. Once they took a position, they were ready to fight. To deal with them you had to be willing to fight also, and not that many people on this poor globe were willing to fight.
The other side of it was loyalty. When one of them got in a jam, the others never broke ranks. Well, that wasn’t completely true, but the game had to be pretty far gone before the Irish started looking out for Number One. The cops were like that, and assistant D.A.s in Homicide were supposed to be like that. Loyalty was loyalty, and Irish loyalty was a monolith, indivisible. The code of the Donkey! And every Jew, every Italian, every black, every Puerto Rican, internalized that code and became a stone Donkey himself. The Irish liked to entertain one another with Irish war stories, so that when Donkey Fitzgibbon and Donkey Goldberg listened to Donkey Martin, all they lacked was booze so they could complete the picture by getting drunk and sentimental or drunk and in a brutal rage. No, thought Kramer, they don’t need alcohol. They’re high on what tough, undeluded motherfuckers they are.

Oh man thats a lot of words. Later, I'm drunk now.

Actually that book apparently mentions my home town. You might as well know, I've only been knocking about here 20 years.

Worse than that, for me anyways.
He destroyed Chuck Feeney's Centre For Public Inquiry, using his position as Minister For Justice and parliamentary privilege to do so. Even the DPP had a go at him for it.
It was the last good chance we had at, if not rooting out, then at least shining a light on the corruption that runs Ireland.
And he snuffed it out at inception.
Horrible fucker, to my mind.

I forgot about that. What a cunt.
He also made high mass about Bertie and the tribunals only to ultimately back him.
A wanker

A naaaation once agaaainnn..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A naaaation once agaaainnn..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What is the non-donut parts of the building being used for?
Now that the bank has cleared off to the docks, I mean
Just office space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back