Ireland (4 Viewers)

I could listen to this velvet voiced American guy reviewing things in Ireland all day

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I could listen to this velvet voiced American guy reviewing things in Ireland all day

Has Stephen’s Green suddenly been put on a UNESCO list or something? Not a place I’d normally see tourists but last week I met a huge tour group coming into the centre to view it. I’ve never really paid attention to it before, usually I’m moving quickly through.

Has Stephen’s Green suddenly been put on a UNESCO list or something? Not a place I’d normally see tourists but last week I met a huge tour group coming into the centre to view it. I’ve never really paid attention to it before, usually I’m moving quickly through.

Everything else is a hotel now.

The (now seemingly right-wing) Irish Times disagrees

that chaps a bit of a pro-business at all costs knob. he wrote some sketchy justifications for opening up in dec 2020 in early 2021, effectively denying the impact of pub/restaurant openings on case numbers in jan/feb 2021.

I'd say he's not that representative of most of the folk who write columns for the times.

not that the times is particularly radical or anything.

that chaps a bit of a pro-business at all costs knob. he wrote some sketchy justifications for opening up in dec 2020 in early 2021, effectively denying the impact of pub/restaurant openings on case numbers in jan/feb 2021.

I'd say he's not that representative of most of the folk who write columns for the times.

not that the times is particularly radical or anything.
yes, but we do have a habit of conflating things in this country that are in no way mutually exclusive. I can think of several examples off the top of my head.

yes, but we do have a habit of conflating things in this country that are in no way mutually exclusive. I can think of several examples off the top of my head.

we do - but saying we should focus investment on housing rather than hotels, or be more cautious about urban development to preserve the fabric of the city was not or is not the lunatic fringe opinion he presents it as.

he also doubles down on the anti-lockdown rhetoric of previous articles I've read by him.

mass tourism and focus on tourist accommodation is not something that is only problematic in dublin.

and as for the politicians hopping on the latest thing with not sense of consistency.. nothing unique here regardless of ideology. as my granny would have said ''what would you expect from a dog but a bark''

Isn't the car rental shortage down to global supply issues?

The rental companies sold off their stock mid-pandemic as no one was renting them, which isn't an unreasonable thing for them to have done.

But the cars they want to replace those aren't being made right now.

Isn't the car rental shortage down to global supply issues?

The rental companies sold off their stock mid-pandemic as no one was renting them, which isn't an unreasonable thing for them to have done.

But the cars they want to replace those aren't being made right now.

Ah he covers this by saying that they were "forced" to sell them off because the country was shut down mid-pandemic.

I'm not sure how many tourists would have enjoyed coming here in that period when the country was mostly shut and there was almost fucking nothing to do and nowhere to go.

It can be nice sometimes. I mean it really is hard to fuck up a marghertia with extra cheese, so once you set your expectations accordingly….
It's the only pizza I had to throw in the bin barely touched. I bought it as a hangover treat. I was so full of rage and disappointment.

i nearly killed* our dog with a pizza about 25 years ago. was living with the parents, came in from the pub (stone cold sober) and was hungry, so i put a goodfellas deep pan pizza on; we had a dual microwave/convection oven thing. i thought i'd put it on for half an hour at 200C, but i'd actually put it on for half an hour at 100% microwave power, and went into the sitting room to watch some telly for the half hour. the smell woke my mother up, and the dog had vomited from the smoke (he slept in the utility room, where the microwave was)

*probably a subtle exaggeration

that chaps a bit of a pro-business at all costs knob
A stupid one too, by the sounds of it. The spiralling cost of hotel rooms means hotels are coining it. "People on ordinary incomes can't afford a hotel room in Dublin" is a non-argument - I'd be fairly sure people on ordinary incomes would rather afford a place to live

Apache pizza is the shittest pizza I ever had the misfortune of tasting

Vile

I consider myself fortunate to live within delivery distance of 3 quality and not particularly expensive (certainly looking at apache pizza website) pizza options. before then it was all mizoni. (who seem to be gone out of business?).

The (now seemingly right-wing) Irish Times disagrees

Is it not jut the daily SF hatchet job though? i just looked up how many cllr's there are in dublin city.

The internet says 63.

Is this an article about how a party (the only one mentioned in the piece) who voted in a 5-1 minority for a city council thing two and half years ago being the actual real cause of the problem - the bit where he flips it to a late onset anti lockdown piece he names 'the government' - he could easily have cleared the biasing up at this point with 'the government which contains mostly FF and FG members.'.

Anywhoo 2/10 must try harder

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back