Ireland (5 Viewers)

Stupid people who don’t know the (also stupid?) airport security rules by now have to take some of the blame here too.
Absolutely. But also stupid people who are still surprised that they can’t bring a big bag of liquids with them through security and you need to wait 20 minutes for them to finally give up the fight for their Coke Zero.

daa have stripped out everything they can over the years prior to the pandemic and replaced daa workers with cheap agency staff in the shops and have resisted any urge to support their security staff.
a chap i know was an electrician in DAA and has left; it was not pretty for a while. IIRC they offered a redundancy deal to a lot or all of them but pitched it so that if people voted against it they'd be shafting those who wanted to take it, and vice versa.

Absolutely. But also stupid people who are still surprised that they can’t bring a big bag of liquids with them through security and you need to wait 20 minutes for them to finally give up the fight for their Coke Zero.
Precisely.

Although 14 years ago we went from being abused by security in the then-brand new Heathrow terminal for not wanting to open (and potentially contaminate) every bottle of baby formula we’d prepared for a flight to Tokyo, to having the same bottles of formula (and other liquids) just waved through a scanning machine in Narita airport a few days later.

i've heard a few stories about charles de gaulle staff being arseholes. a friend (who lives near paris) was flying home to see family 15 or 20 years ago, and had a CD-R of family photos with her. a security guard (after asking her what was on it) smashed it on her 'in case it was illegal software'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the worst part of dublin airport is gate 335 which can catch the unwary out - it's actually not a gate, but a bus terminal. have been through it twice where i witnessed passengers having angry exchanges with staff about having missed their plane.

This isn’t reasonable take you think it is.

yes it is

It is public knowledge about daa problems, hence you reminding me and dara o brian tweeting about it. I bought a plane ticket at an airport i knew was wildly underfunding itself, being dicks to its staff on an airline i know exploits every tax loophole on earth to pretty much pay for as little as it can while still functioning legally. I honestly think Dara is smart enough dude and would know these things aswell. Neither me nor Dara are writing to our TD's or boycotting flying or joining pickets for airline staff or berating the national airline radio mouthpiece so tweeting about what a shock it is that at the point where it actually effects you personally and isn't someone elses problem that you don't have to interact with to me is being a whiny little bitch.

TLDR we are society the wildly have embraced the spoils of neoliberal styled costcutting in the air industry and only being concerned about that when it effects us personally is actually part of how its possible to get where it is.

They need Clare Daly back there.

yes it is

It is public knowledge about daa problems, hence you reminding me and dara o brian tweeting about it. I bought a plane ticket at an airport i knew was wildly underfunding itself, being dicks to its staff on an airline i know exploits every tax loophole on earth to pretty much pay for as little as it can while still functioning legally. I honestly think Dara is smart enough dude and would know these things aswell. Neither me nor Dara are writing to our TD's or boycotting flying or joining pickets for airline staff or berating the national airline radio mouthpiece so tweeting about what a shock it is that at the point where it actually effects you personally and isn't someone elses problem that you don't have to interact with to me is being a whiny little bitch.

TLDR we are society the wildly have embraced the spoils of neoliberal styled costcutting in the air industry and only being concerned about that when it effects us personally is actually part of how its possible to get where it is.

LOL quality rant, but it totally misses the point. Play the ball, not the man

i know Dara and can tell you he's been working tirelessly behind the scenes to tackle the scourge of long airport waiting times.

or else, just a man tweeting 'jaysus, the queues are fierce long'. the biggest issue here is that his trivial opinion got more air time than it otherwise deserved.

yes it is

So we get the airport we deserve? It’s hardly an optional luxury at this point that we must suffer through to use. You travel for pleasure, with no dependables from what I gather, so you’re happy to suck it up because “neoliberalism lol”. It’s an essential service (and I don’t fly often and I don’t fly via Ryanair ever because I fundamentally disagree with their approach to air travel) and not everyone is travelling for the same reasons or with the same ease as you. You are privileged enough to be able to spend your time and energy in a queue to go on holiday, that’s great.

I’m working with a rake of kids who need to travel for medical treatments and while daa do accommodate them, this is having a huge knock-on effect for them. Going to Dublin by car alone can be a massive and draining undertaking for them, air travel is simply only by necessity and is now extra hellish because it is now forever to simply enter the airport.

That is what I’m whining about and I am talking to my TD, I am supporting airport staff (I know them and they are sound), and the public knowledge is only scratching the surface of how badly mismanaged and how toxic Dublin Airport is as a working environment. I mean, I’m complaining to Irish Rail and Bus Éireann too as they are also obstacles to travel within Ireland for the disabled, not because I’m waiting for a bus that never comes. And all the problems tend to boil down to understaffing and mismanagement.

i know Dara and can tell you he's been working tirelessly behind the scenes to tackle the scourge of long airport waiting times.

or else, just a man tweeting 'jaysus, the queues are fierce long'. the biggest issue here is that his trivial opinion got more air time than it otherwise deserved.
disagree. I'm no fan of DOB but the issue of how badly the airport is being managed needs to be raised. If by him, or by someone else, whats the difference?

to rub salt into the wounds, despite mismanaging the shit out of the airport, they also want to now charge more for the privilege of missing your flight. Drop-off charges are being introduced, airport parking has been doubled in price, and airport fees are set to rise 30%.

The DAA should be kicked out of there asap and get someone in who knows what the fuck they are doing.

disagree. I'm no fan of DOB but the issue of how badly the airport is being managed needs to be raised. If by him, or by someone else, whats the difference?
ah, i wouldn't read too much into my comment, it was just a 'people are paying heed cos he's famous' throwaway remark.

ah, i wouldn't read too much into my comment, it was just a 'people are paying heed cos he's famous' throwaway remark.
I do agree with you though about how common it is for celebrities to take to twitter when they have a whinge. At least DOB uses twitter anyway. Many others don't, unless they want to piss and moan.

In this case I'm on-board with him, just cos I've been stung by the issues in the airport.

they also want to now charge more for the privilege of missing your flight. Drop-off charges are being introduced
i actually wouldn't have too much of an issue with this, apart from:
1. they're claiming they're doing it because it's good for the environment, which is a horseshit defence.
2. leading from 1 - they're a fucking AIRPORT
3. it's not going to change how people get to the airport, so no environmental benefit

Or if you are flying the app tells you, not that people would want to read it or anything :p

Well you were saying the app tells you the day before so I'm not sure how exact that would be. This one is a live feed from the airport website and not everyone has this unnamed app you're on about.

Well you were saying the app tells you the day before so I'm not sure how exact that would be. This one is a live feed from the airport website and not everyone has this unnamed app you're on about.

It was in the ryanair app the checkin bit that you use to actually get onto the plane that literally everyone that wants to get on the plane without doing a manual checkin uses. It was there dvance on arrival times both the ireland and scotland airport side of the booking. Airline apps are not a mystery/consipiracy - unless you like to fly analog?

Anywhooooo

Look as much as you guys dont like it, considering flying as public transport is insane - it might have been the norm over 2-3 decades of our lives but that doesn't mean we have a lifelong right to easily hopping around the globe. We live in a bubble - I KNOW that this onetime at bandcamp you got through an airport in 40 mins or whatever but that was normal for a very, very short amount of time. Instead of taking a mean weekly check in time, why not take a mean 200 year check in time for leaving ireland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back