Ireland (1 Viewer)

I'd presume the reason the likes of this person move to Ireland is that they get paid very well for it.

What American Margo said is largely very true but if it's like complaining about the lack of amenities in Horse and Jockey co.Tipperary (a townsland at the Thurles junction of the Dublin to Cork road).
Ireland is a bit crap at a lot of things - Margo should know it's part of the 'new experience' of living in another country! Margo's here voluntarily but pity the poor refugees thinking:
''I can't wait to get out this dump!''.

highly aspirational Dublin based youtuber Ana Maria from Moldova is much funnier (she's not very self aware).
especially this one - you can never have too many new years goals!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ann Maria's youtube channel. much of it about living in Dublin / Ireland.

Where's that horn for thread gone?

Ireland's transport infrastructure needs to be and should be a lot better, we need, where possible to wean people off car dependency, and we need efficient and effective mass transit across the country.
However, I find comparisons with Germany etc not all that useful.

The island of Ireland has approximately 1/3rd the population density of Germany and Germany lies at the heart of a continental conurbation comprising several hundred million people, versus this island's <7 million. We also have fewer passenger vehicles per capita than either Germany or the EU average, though I haven't looked up actual car usage comparisons.

The people I know that have moved to Ireland have not done so for money
One of them is a cook, the other works for a non-profit
They like it here, or don't seem to hate it anyways.
Or let the place get to them the way it does to people that are from here. They don't complain too much.
But I have been to Italy. And I have been to Germany. They are objectively better places to live.

But I guess that's from my Irish perspective. Maybe there's an exoticism (for want of a better word) to Ireland that I can't see.

Pretty sure they moved here because of Charlie Haughey's artist exemption
Keep all that Hysteria money for themselves

Like Frankie and others did
I saw this tweet and thought of this thread. I think Em Gryner lived in Ireland for a while? She did an unlikely cover of a Horslips tune back in the day. Anyway. I read this list of collaborators on her new record, then I read it again. And again.

Screenshot_20220430-160415_Twitter.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220430-160415_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20220430-160415_Twitter.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 3
Looks like Dara O'Briain just found this out too

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What a tit.

I was also in Dublin airport lastnight. On my ticket, in the app it said expect 2.5 hours and they got us through in less than that time. The were wildly understaffed for sure but there was no point of the trip that it wasn't forewarned. Also the national media has been documenting these staff shortages for weeks.

Having a twitter meltdown about something you were told was gonna happen is just being a little whiny bitch imho.

Anywhoo one lady and two youngfellas processed our whole place and we were through in less than 2.5

The way the security in Dublin airport is run is pretty moronic in fairness.
In Dublin airport, every single person going to get a plane has to go through the same security gates – so even if a flight isn't that busy, there's still a massive queue to go through.

I came back from Prague the other week, and at Prague airport you don't go through security until you get to the actual gate areas, and each gate area has its own security area – so you get like one security checkpoint for maybe 3–6 gates.
So instead of thousands of people all going through the same one security area for say 60 gates, ala Dublin, in Prague all the passengers are divided into something like say 5 different security points, depending what gate they're going to. Therefore, the same volume of passengers in Prague will automatically move about 5 times faster, and if your flight isn't that busy you'll be through security in minutes.
My flight was actually nearly full, and security took maybe 10 minutes tops.

Is this all happening at stupid o'clock in the morning or are there still queues for the 2pm flights?

One of mine was around midday, one was sunday evening peak time.

for both i just looked at the app or ticket the day before and it said what the wait time would be - the google wallet app actually told me to the minute when to leave the house.

You can feel the understaffedness there for sure. it's almost like there was a pandemic that grounded all the planes, and then war/fuel shortage and then tons and tons of rental planes got trapped in russia and the whole unsustianable circus isn't sustaining well at the minute, but lets all run about expecting things to run like none of that happened and whine 2008 style about it for the craic, just to show we've moved on.

Have been through Prague; the airport wasn't busy but security took about twice as long as you'd have taken in Dublin. And I reckon that was because they operate the security at the gate. Means that if you do have a busy flight, every passenger has to queue in a single security queue.

What a tit.

I was also in Dublin airport lastnight. On my ticket, in the app it said expect 2.5 hours and they got us through in less than that time. The were wildly understaffed for sure but there was no point of the trip that it wasn't forewarned. Also the national media has been documenting these staff shortages for weeks.

Having a twitter meltdown about something you were told was gonna happen is just being a little whiny bitch imho.

Anywhoo one lady and two youngfellas processed our whole place and we were through in less than 2.5
This isn’t reasonable take you think it is. They are not understaffed just because of the state of the world, they are understaffed because they treat their staff like shit - daa have stripped out everything they can over the years prior to the pandemic and replaced daa workers with cheap agency staff in the shops and have resisted any urge to support their security staff.

Stay working at daa for uncompetitive wages, poor morale, and high levels of stress or go work anywhere else? The pandemic crystallised the exile and daa have done nothing to mitigate it. It’s not like airlines weren’t still paying fees to them over the pandemic and no one was buying perfume and shit before the pandemic anyway.

2.5 hours is ridiculous, it’s a queue with metal detectors like. Being forewarned about it almost makes it worse - “We know that we run this place badly so please give up your life because we can’t get our house in order.” I’m glad I’m not flying anywhere with my family but I feel really sorry for anyone flying with young kids or disabilities because it’s going to be one long, shitty, and stressful day for them. If not accepting that the main national airport is broken is whiny, then I’m with DOB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back