Ireland (4 Viewers)

in the 17th century Portugal despite having an empire had a population similar to Ireland @ 1 to 2 million.
after that Ireland's population more rapidly.

Java is 50% larger than Ireland (48,000 sq. miles) and had an estimated population of 10 million in 1800 and 150 million in 2020.

in the 17th century Portugal despite having an empire had a population similar to Ireland @ 1 to 2 million.

Java is 50% larger than Ireland (48,000 sq. miles) and had an estimated population of 10 million in 1800 and 150 million in 2020.
part of the reason spain and portugals population didn't rise in that period (and actually dropped shortly afterwards) was because of the empire IIRC - effectively outward migration from the mid 1500's onwards.

(all above based on half remembered shit I've read over the years so open to challenge)

Java has incredibly dense cities. Jakarta alone has over 11 million people and it's not a nice place to live or visit.

I brought home a load of coffee from Indonesia only to find it all had ginger in it. wtf. Yer man in the shop told me it had ginger in it but he pronounced it with hard Gs so I didn't know what he was talking about.

What Cormcolash said.

Also back then people didn't live in massive gaffs.

And there's a thing about wind turbines and turf cutting and enviromentalism and land management that I haven't really articulated. I was hoping someone else who actually lives there might have said something.

What Cormcolash said.

Also back then people didn't live in massive gaffs.

And there's a thing about wind turbines and turf cutting and enviromentalism and land management that I haven't really articulated. I was hoping someone else who actually lives there might have said something.
there is a big modern house near me that took several years to build. 'cause the couple were so fussy and they had to bring in other (reluctant) people to finish it.
one of them was a Trojan worker growing up for my folks. they would have work done before they were asked to do it. but also the was type who would phone in vote on talent shows.

the person and their siblings lost all cred with me by repeatedly googling answers on their phone at pub quizzes. everyone knew they did this but they were so pathetically competitive they did it every time.
one day an undertaker won a pub quiz by tombstoning them at their own game.
they only finished third and I was delighted!

I often wonder what's in their big house detached house on a big site 2 km outside a village?
probably not much. it's emblematic for me of someone building a big house and not knowing what to do with it.

there is a big modern house near me that took several years to build. 'cause the couple were so fussy and they had to bring in other (reluctant) people to finish it.
one of them was a Trojan worker growing up for my folks. they would have work done before they were asked to do it. but also the was type who would phone in vote on talent shows.

the person and their siblings lost all cred with me by repeatedly googling answers on their phone at pub quizzes. everyone knew they did this but they were so pathetically competitive they did it every time.
one day an undertaker won a pub quiz by tombstoning them at their own game.
they only finished third and I was delighted!

I often wonder what's in their big house detached house on a big site 2 km outside a village?
probably not much. it's emblematic for me of someone building a big house and not knowing what to do with it.
I would watch a TV dramatisation of this

I have known/worked with several people for whom a goal in life was to buy a ride on lawnmower. Because owning a lawn large enough to take a huge amount of time to maintain seems to be an aspirational thing.

I have known/worked with several people for whom a goal in life was to buy a ride on lawnmower. Because owning a lawn large enough to take a huge amount of time to maintain seems to be an aspirational thing.
me and a mate of mine were going to go halves on one when we were in our 20s, even though we both lived in shoeboxes of houses and our gardens the size of a box-room.

I live about half the time in a mc mansion area. Most of these houses are a 200m2 blueprint that is minorly tweaked now and again. People mostly use them to look at netflix from a couch, eat food which is at arms length and sit about scrolling their phones. The snooker table lawn is used for nothing* other than putting stuff from the DIY store in now and again. There are some parts you can make an argument for, but it's mostly people not knowing what they need. It's a horrific amount of space really. Next door here has 2 people in 220m2.

The brits have minimum standards for all this which kinda work to a point.

800px-National_space_standard_table_1.jpg

At a practical level i've been studying these things a bit with half a view to move into a renovation/rebuild deal. Things i have observed:

The brit min standards are a bit tight when you add in second bathroom or decent utility space but as a sleeping / living split are really not unreasoable.
Houses that i'm used to are more or less 50/50 sleeping space living space. If there are going to be multiple adults, you need more than one space for sitting in the evening. Open plan can fuck off.

*one thing about these massive useless gardens, part of the useless is clearance for the septic tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back